Author Topic: New "Does This Work"? cartoon  (Read 15446 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: New "Does This Work"? cartoon
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 08:16:12 PM »
I was just about to point that out, Nige, when I noticed you'd answered.
D'you  think Malky's going to mad at us when he wakes up in Australia tomorrow or today or whenever it is there?

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 08:16:23 PM »
The wisps (notice the spelling) of clouds are light blue-grey, and should be made lighter by the moon, not darker.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 08:38:59 PM »
I was just about to point that out, Nige, when I noticed you'd answered.
D'you  think Malky's going to mad at us when he wakes up in Australia tomorrow or today or whenever it is there?

He'll be fast asleep in contented ignorance. I'm sure he'll be OK when he wakes up. It's not as if we're giving him the Jade Goody treatment. (What a repulsive girl she is, by the way).
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Malky McGookin

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 11:19:52 PM »
I'll give you the perpendicular bannister Roger. *snirk* Bannister Roger, *snirk*.

The wisp of cloud is silhouetted against the moon, so it's darker, and it's common practice for taps to be nearer the operator in under-counter sinks, for ease of access.
Trouble with you three is you've only been on the drinking side of bars.

Oh, and you missed out on the left hand castle window, which has moonlight shining on the opposite side to where the moonlight is actually coming from, that there's no right hand door, and that whereas Frankenstein has a shadow behind him, neither Morticia nor the table does. That's artistic licence that is.

Bannister Roger...*snirk*

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 11:26:02 PM »
Only opaque objects can silhouette. Clouds are not opaque. Besides, if that cloud is silhouetting, why aren't the others? Are there light bulbs inside them?

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2007, 12:36:44 AM »
Oh, and you missed out on the left hand castle window, which has moonlight shining on the opposite side to where the moonlight is actually coming from, that there's no right hand door, and that whereas Frankenstein has a shadow behind him, neither Morticia nor the table does.

I was going to mention all that, but I was scared.
I apologise, in advance.

Malky McGookin

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2007, 01:19:13 AM »
Clouds are not opaque

*sings* John Kettley is a weather man and so is... Mince.

Opaqueness depends on density, that's all. That cloud is dense, like some people I could mention. Some people being you.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 01:46:48 AM »

Gee, I guess I am right. No need to get out my physics degree.  :)

Malky McGookin

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2007, 04:01:35 AM »
So posting images of moons entirely bereft of cloud cover proves....?
The piano is 385,000 miles from the moon, and whilst completely opaque, still has a little moonshine over its open lid, however this is glare or lens flare, nothing to do with density or lack thereof.

Here is a moon covered by a cloud which is Mince-like in its lack of a clue. I mean translucence.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2007, 09:07:23 AM »

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2007, 09:28:04 AM »

Okay, time to use your own evidence against you.

In your photo, the wisps of cloud at A are light grey (translucent) and do not silhouette against the moon when they cross it: the moon shines through them. The clouds at B are black (opaque) and silhouette when they cross the moon. The clouds at C are light grey (translucent) and do silhouette then they cross the moon.

In the cartoon, the sky at A is black but does not silhouette because it is not cloud, just dark sky. At B the sky is lighter are therefore cloudy, and these clouds do not silhouette as they cross the moon. At C the clouds are even lighter and yet silhouette against the moon. Why? Or are these special clouds that know where to turn opaque.

I rest my case, numbskull.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2007, 10:22:40 AM »
Now there's a discussion I didn't expect on this site...the density of cloud required to be silhouetted against the moon. The fact that a cloud CAN be silhouetted against the moon is good enough for me. Malky wins.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2007, 10:30:50 AM »
That's only because you can't follow my logic.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2007, 11:32:59 AM »
Quote from: Roger
Now there's a discussion I didn't expect on this site...the density of cloud required to be silhouetted against the moon.

We'll be getting onto colour constancy, diffraction and artistic licence soon.

Malky McGookin

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2007, 03:46:46 PM »
Brian Cosgrove, co-founder of Cosgrove Hall (where we did Dangermouse) once came to the studio to query why a doctor character in one scene in the latest series was interviewing a patient whilst the patients relatives were present?
"Doctors don't do their rounds at visiting times", he said "There's an authenticity problem here".

We gently pointed out that the patient in the bed was a hamster, the relatives consisted of various small mammals and one crow, and the doctor was a pig.