Author Topic: Size.........................Does it matter?  (Read 9854 times)

Offline The Peepmaster

Re: Size.........................Does it matter?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 10:57:47 AM »
Is it Mince's day off?

He can have the year off if he likes. I expect he's marking young boys' homework somewhere, (or still in bed).
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 11:13:42 AM »
Actually, joined up letters can be a problem. As an 18-year-old, I worked as a sub-editor on The Beano, and one of my weekly tasks was writing Billy Whizz scripts, including processing the pages when they came in from the artist, Mal Judge. Processing involved adding the speech bubbles and marking out any hand-lettering on the pages that was needed to to assist the action, which was then added in the art department. Being able to draw a bit, I was allowed to put in the simpler hand-lettering myself, rather than bother the busy proper artists with it. On one such occasion, Mal had drawn Billy thumbing through the pages of a book at his customary super-speed. I decided to add to the effect by adding multiple instances of the word 'flick' on either side of the book. Of course, then as now, all lettering is done in capital letters, and as soon as the editor saw the finished page he turned a faint shade of purple and ordered me to change every FLICK to FLIP. There were about twenty of them, and it was all done by hand, so I wasn't best pleased. And when I had the innocent audacity to ask why, the boss demonstrated the problem with great skill, and a tiny FLICK of his biro. Lesson learned the hard way. Though I'm still trying to work out why my Two-Gun Tony script, in which he was pretending to be Clint Eastwood in a spaghetti (bolognaise) western, was rejected the following day, apparently on the same grounds.

But I digress. Is it Mince's day off?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 11:16:14 AM by Tarquin Thunderthighs lll »
I apologise, in advance.

Vulture

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 11:19:33 AM »
No, no, no - I think you misunderstood me, Vult...

The BBC has an advert on its homepage seeking participants for The Weakest Link. The "C" and the "L" in the very last word are so close together, I misread it and immediately thought of you, Tarks. Here's what it read:

"Calling all masochists; all that stands between you and a potential place on the Weakest Link is one little click."

Peeps, what do you know about TTIII that you'd like to share with the rest of us?

Vulture

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 11:24:07 AM »

Shhh! Not so loud. You'll wake him up!

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 11:26:08 AM »
No, no, no - I think you misunderstood me, Vult...

The BBC has an advert on its homepage seeking participants for The Weakest Link. The "C" and the "L" in the very last word are so close together, I misread it and immediately thought of you, Tarks. Here's what it read:

"Calling all masochists; all that stands between you and a potential place on the Weakest Link is one little click."

Peeps, what do you know about TTIII that you'd like to share with the rest of us?

He's a highly talented, and imaginative, individual.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2008, 11:27:35 AM »
He's a highly talented, and imaginative, individual.

... when he's not being a complete click.

peter

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2008, 02:41:11 PM »
Bit sexist where's the men only section.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2008, 03:22:45 PM »
Actually, joined up letters can be a problem. As an 18-year-old, I worked as a sub-editor on The Beano, and one of my weekly tasks was writing Billy Whizz scripts, including processing the pages when they came in from the artist, Mal Judge. Processing involved adding the speech bubbles and marking out any hand-lettering on the pages that was needed to to assist the action, which was then added in the art department. Being able to draw a bit, I was allowed to put in the simpler hand-lettering myself, rather than bother the busy proper artists with it. On one such occasion, Mal had drawn Billy thumbing through the pages of a book at his customary super-speed. I decided to add to the effect by adding multiple instances of the word 'flick' on either side of the book. Of course, then as now, all lettering is done in capital letters, and as soon as the editor saw the finished page he turned a faint shade of purple and ordered me to change every FLICK to FLIP. There were about twenty of them, and it was all done by hand, so I wasn't best pleased. And when I had the innocent audacity to ask why, the boss demonstrated the problem with great skill, and a tiny FLICK of his biro. Lesson learned the hard way. Though I'm still trying to work out why my Two-Gun Tony script, in which he was pretending to be Clint Eastwood in a spaghetti (bolognaise) western, was rejected the following day, apparently on the same grounds.

We had a power saving campain in Canada - but looking for a photo now, see that it might have been worldwide...

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Fyodor

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2008, 05:48:54 PM »
Diane! Really!

Vulture

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2008, 09:21:29 PM »

We had a power saving campain in Canada - but looking for a photo now, see that it might have been worldwide...

Oh the innocent mind that passed this for publication....  :D :D :D :D

peter

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2008, 09:54:18 PM »
where's the moderators when you want them.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2008, 11:15:09 PM »
where's the moderators when you want them.

Isn't he in bed?