Author Topic: Yoohoo! I'm Here!  (Read 17339 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Yoohoo! I'm Here!
« on: November 28, 2006, 09:50:20 AM »
Well, I made it. How will people get here normally? Will this make the Beau Peep site obsolete or do you still have to go through there to get here?

Malky McGookin

Re: Yoohoo! I'm Here!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 10:13:16 AM »
I'm here too. Very nice place. Be great when you get the carpet down.

Tom

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 10:55:14 AM »
Hello, I'm here now as well, although I may look slightly different!
I've decided to reveal my secret identity; as in the other forum I was Wild West Will...  :o *gasps all round*

It's also easier to type...

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 11:33:39 AM »
Good to see you all here. I assume that Peepmaster will provide a link from the Beau Peep site to here. If everyone posts here from now on, rather than the old board (and the older old board), we can keep all the posts in one place. I assume that Peepmaster will make a general announcement on the other board to direct everyone here.

I can keep this board open as long as you wish. It costs me nothing (or next to nothing) to do so. If Roger wants to move the database of posts onto his own website host at any time, he is free to do so, and it's easy to do so (and no one will notice the move because the cameldung.co.uk URL will remain the same).

So that everyone understands, Roger and Peepmaster are ultimately in charge of everything here. They own full rights to all the posts made here. It's their board and always will be. I'm just free hired technical help.

Colin

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 11:36:02 AM »
Im here too, great innit  ;D Lets have a party

Joan

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 01:45:11 PM »
Hello everyone, squelch here, from now on to be known as Joan - probably just brought the other boards to a grinding halt with the length of my post over there. Off to bed now - it's very late and I can hardly see.  Quick work, Mince - wondered what you were doing up at 2am your time on the other forum today - now I know.  Much quicker response! 

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 11:01:35 PM »
Nice to hear from you again, Joan, and I'm glad the Dalwhinnie Malt is going down well1

Joan

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 05:23:22 AM »
To be truthful, Roger, I haven't had a Dalwhinnie for a while - wine is so plentiful and cheap here at the moment that I've become a bit of a wino, it's too easy to drink, and I just can't take the combination of grain and grape any more.  Not sure that I ever could, but it's definitely a lot more painful these days!  I did notice yesterday they had it on special down the road, so maybe I'll drop hints to Santa. Mind you, Santa's usually myself these days.

At least you can get some decent whiskies here now.  When I first arrived it was basically Glenfiddich or Glenlivet in malts and in blends, Johnny Walker and some dubious looking bottles of locally bottled stuff - occasionally bottled and blended in Japan!

All this talk of drink reminds me there's no wine in the fridge - will just go and pop one in while I remember, for Friday evening, of course.

Have a good Wednesday - yours is just starting in the UK and I'm just off to find something for dinner.

I just noticed all those groovy buttons up the top there, Mince - looks like enough to make a web page in a post!  Must have a little play sometime.  ;D

Take care,
Joan

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 09:43:23 AM »
Hi Joan

Yes, there are a lot of groovy buttons. I have another message board on this same host, a student board for my students. (I am a private tutor.) I use the board to check their English for mistakes and for them to contact me during the week with problems. I've banned them from using the "groovy" buttons, and writing whole paragraphs in pink, or in alternating colours. I allow them to use only italics and bold, and then only sparingly.

Malky McGookin

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 02:01:19 PM »
Joan, are you in Sydney?

Joan

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 11:49:04 PM »
Yep, Malky - North, on the edge of Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, about ten minutes from the Northern Beaches.  Where are you?

I don't know where "groovy" came from - my language use is very confused these days.  Don't know whether I'm speaking Scottish, Australian or English - petrol station, service station or garage? Bottle shop, liquor store or off-licence? Ocean or sea?  Crikey! Will be minding my ps and qs if you're an English tutor, Mince - makes a change from cringing at the English on some other forums.  If youd ever been their, you would of found it like extremely irritating to read some of there posts.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 11:53:39 PM by Joan »

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 12:11:53 AM »
Joan posted: If youd ever been their, you would of found it hard to read some of there posts.

I am a very strict English tutor. For example, the above sentence written on my student board would have earned the poster the following corrections:

Write out "you'd" 100 times.
Write 10 sentences with "their" and 10 with "there".
Write 10 sentences with "would have".
Write 10 sentences with "there" and 10 with "their".

But of course you were being ironic.

I even set corrections when my students talk rubbish. Here's an example:

STUDENT 1: Yeah, he done it yesterday.
STUDENT 2: Is it?
TUTOR (exploding): He did it, for God's sake! "Done" is a past participle. Do you say things like "He taken it" and "He flown there"? And stop saying "Is it?" to everything. It should be "Did he?".
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 12:14:34 AM by Mince »

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 12:19:37 AM »
You're/your, there/they're/their... it continues to infuriate me. Just ignorance. But some things seem to be a natural evolution of language, and I quite like it. Generations have to have their own development/input. Just nature I suspect.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Malky McGookin

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 10:42:35 AM »
Joan, I'm in Brisbane, or at least just outside in the Redlands Shire

Joan

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 02:12:22 AM »
"Would of" drives me nuts - my daughter told off her friend the other day for just saying it - told him it should be "would have", and then raved at me for making her notice these things.  It's obviously a generational thing in our family, because split infinitives just jump out at me off the page and every time somebody says "It is me." I want to say "It is I", which is what my mother would have said.  Those were her two bugbears which I've assimilated (quite torturous in this day and age) and neither of them are considered to be incorrect any more - an example of language changing, which is fine by me too, Peepmaster.  If only I could get over the irritation.  It's just so ingrained because of the way we learned as well - parsing sentences week after week - subjective clause, objective clause, etc.  I still try to put adverbial phrases in the right order, for goodness sake!  Anyone else remember that - time, manner, place?

Right, I'll just go off and put my hand up for an Australian version of "Grumpy Old Women".  On the "oldies" radio station here they have a segment called "What really gets on your goollies." where people phone in and tell what really gets on their nerves.  I've been meaning to phone in, but I just can't decide which thing to choose out of the hundred or so I have at the back of my mind (most of them to do with driving!).