Author Topic: Bill Caldwell, Beau Peep fan?  (Read 3773 times)

Rob Baker

Bill Caldwell, Beau Peep fan?
« on: March 24, 2008, 06:20:53 PM »
Well I think I sussed out (as best as I can) how to scan stuff in now (I've just re-sized the strips I did on the other postings to make them easier to read).

In my archive I found this cartoon by the brilliant Bill Caldwell who used to be the Star's Editorial Cartoonist. It's from Nov'84 and celebrates the Paper's 6th Birthday.

Most of the characters in it are from the many cartoon strips (there was one called 'Checkout Girl', about a , um, supermarket checkout girl) which were in the Star at that time.  Notice Egon topping up the buffet?!

There's a few 'real people' in the front but I don't know who they are, and I can't see Andrew or Roger ? though there's a pair of legs in the bottom right of someone who's had one-over-the-mark.

And there's Brian Wilde who sadly died the other day, from the 'Last of the Summer Wine' strip.

#  I've got some more Beau Peep-related Bill Caldwell cartoons which I'll scan in.     But if you have any requests for old Beau Peep strips that weren't printed in the Books, which you want to see again (if Roger doesn't mind me putting them up) let me know....
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 07:50:55 PM by Rob Baker »

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Bill Caldwell, Beau Peep fan?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 06:27:35 PM »
Memories, Rob! And look at the sales figures---- they'd kill for about half that now. Of course, I have no problem with you posting anything you like.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 07:39:06 PM »
I didn't know that  'Last of the Summer Wine'  had a cartoon strip. It took them half an hour to get to very little point in the TV series - how did they speed things up for a three or four panel gag?

I love the TV shows by the way.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 09:11:36 PM »
But if you have any requests for old Beau Peep strips that weren't printed in the Books, which you want to see again (if Roger doesn't mind me putting them up) let me know....

Well, gee, all of them.

I will even program a front end for the website if everyone scans in some strips.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 09:37:38 PM »
Great idea. We've really been missing a front end. Roger was only remarking on it at our bridge session last week.

Keep this up and you might earn yourself a mug, Mincey.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 09:40:47 PM »
Great idea. We've really been missing a front end. Roger was only remarking on it at our bridge session last week.

You've not started bridge spotting again, have you? That train-spotter was pulling your leg.

Keep this up and you might earn yourself a mug, Mincey.

I didn't get the last one I earned.