Author Topic: Beau Peep Chess.  (Read 9867 times)

Malc

Re: Beau Peep Chess.
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2008, 03:03:56 PM »
Spielberg is a great director, underrated because he makes incredibly popular films.
Not all are successful, though. He's like Alex Ferguson in that everyone concentrates on Alex's great purchases and forgets acquisitions like the Massimo Taibi (the goalie who became known as the Blind Venetian).

I also think Spielberg has become a great propagandist in his old age. His film Saving Private Ryan is actually a diatribe against those who he feels let down the Jews during WWII.

Remember the scene where Tom Hanks and his buddies come across a lone German soldier in the countryside? He begs for his life. They haven't the heart to kill an unarmed man and they have a totally unrelated mission, so they spare him.

That German then goes on to kill the Jewish soldier in the squad, in a particularly creepy and personal way, watched by a cowardly American soldier too scared to take part in the fight.

That soldier then goes on to kill the German later in the movie, but too late for the Jewish guy, naturally.

Sorry to inject a note of seriousness into all this, but I was surprised that this subliminal message wasn't highlighted. I didn't think it was that subtle.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Beau Peep Chess.
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2008, 06:43:13 PM »
I first became aware of Speilberg after seeing "Duel"---an amazing film---and have been a fan ever since. I even liked his much-maligned "1941". It's interesting that his own favourite among the films he's made is "E.T.".