Author Topic: Raindrops On Roses...  (Read 7439 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Raindrops On Roses...
« on: February 10, 2007, 08:53:18 PM »
...these are a few of my favourite things.
FOOD: Tuna and kidney beans. Tandoori Mixed Grill. Soup. Poached eggs. Artichokes.
BOOK: "Lonesome Dove" by Larry McMurtry. I keep plugging this so PLEASE somebody read it---it's a masterpiece of story-telling.
FILM: I'd love to say something like "Citizen Kane" but I'm a Pleb when it comes to films. Jaws....Zulu...Mister Holland's Opus...Play It Again Sam...The Jerk...The Man With Two Brains...
WRITER: George Orwell. "Down And Out In Paris And London" is amazing. As is "1984". And "Keep The Aspidistra Flying". And "Animal Farm". And "Inside The Whale And Other Essays".
HOLIDAY: Montana, obviously.
DRINK: A good beer and Drambuie.
BAND: The Who....not that I'm old or anything. Saw them live twice. With Keith Moon. Amazing.
T.V.: Given that I'm in the comedy business (arguably)....Seinfeld...The Fast Show...Bilko..
PASTIMES: Golf. A frustrating but enjoyable sport. I've had two holes-in-one in my career, one of them witnessed by Fyodor who, as you can imagine, was less than enthusiastic about it.
Gardening---I mention that for a laugh in case my wife reads this.
CARTOONS: McGookin, Sutherland and Bright. No Question.
Please feel free to join in....

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: Raindrops On Roses...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 12:18:54 AM »
I believe McGookin, Sutherland and Bright are actually real people, Roger, not cartoons, and had a number three hit record during the 60s.

Okay, for what it's worth...

FOOD:  Pepperoni pizza, chicken tikka masala, spag bol, cauliflower and broccoli bake (with Danish Blue cheese), peanut butter, Kettle Chips (no relation).

BOOK:  Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach (you will believe you can fly), and  To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

FILM:  Hook (1991), To Kill A Mockingbird (1962), Unbreakable (2000), Soylent Green (1973), The Great Escape (1963)

WRITER: Roald Dahl - bedtime reading to the kids doesn't come any better.

HOLIDAY: What's that?

DRINK:  Coffee.

BAND:  No particular favourite these days, but in my yoof, it was Genesis, ELP, Yes, Supertramp and Pink Floyd. Yes, I was a pretentious git. My younger brother went to a Bay City Rollers concert and I didn't talk to him for 6 months. Mind you, I still can't believe he did that. I saw Jethro Tull in the Munich Olympic stadium back in the 80s which was pretty cool, but the best gig ever was when I took my eldest daughter to see Robbie Williams at Hampden Park (supported by Toploader and ABC - both excellent). Say what you like about RW, he is an awesome showman.

T.V.: M.A.S.H., Watercolour Challenge, Cheers, Batman (Adam West, Burt Ward 60s series), Yes (Prime) Minister!, Auf Wiedersehen, Pet (first series).

PASTIMES:  Er...this, sadly. Can't stand gardening - wouldn't even list it for comedy value.

CARTOONISTS:  Giles, Shulz and Disney, no question...but Kettle and Christine are right up there also.

I reserve the right to revisit and update as my wobbly memory dictates.

I apologise, in advance.

Tom

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 03:48:01 AM »
Hokey Dokey; here?s me?

FOOD: Singapore Vermicelli, Cherry ice cream, and roast potatoes. (I love food; it?s hard to find a favourite when you love food)

BOOK: "Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway" by Susan Jeffers. It makes you wonder why you didn?t?

FILM: "Rat Race" sooo funny

WRITER: George Orwell; I must agree? ?All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others? apparently?

HOLIDAY: New York, Niagara Falls, Cyprus, Egypt, Israel ? all amazing places

DRINK: A cup of tea when it?s really cold? best drink ever

BAND: Shakespear?s Sister

T.V.: Old stuff; Space 1999, Mind Your Language, Rentaghost, Rising Damp? I have a varied taste

PASTIMES: Reading ?A Man Called Horace?, visiting this forum, and anything else

CARTOONS: Hanna Barbera (especially Scooby Doo), Cosgrove Hall, Keith Giffen, all actually? I love cartoons.

Malc

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 09:13:51 AM »
FOOD: this is tied to particular restaurants. Best Italian restaurant in the world is Don Antonio's Withington Manchester. Queues to get in every night.
Best Indian Restaurant is the Jaipur Palace (just down the road from me) in Wellington Point, QLD
I always order my favourite -Spaghetti Carbonara- when testing out a new Italian restaurant, it's an ideal benchmark.
Chicken Tikka Masala has taken over from Chicken Madras as my favourite Indian dish.
I love porridge (with salt) and also dark chocolate.

BOOK: Cider With Rosie. Laurie Lee is a superb writer. I hardly read fiction nowadays. Love stories of the old west, and Australian first settler stories. "1788" is a bloody great read, an eyewitness account of the first settlement in Sydney through the eyes of a Marine Captain, Watkin Tench.

FILM: I'm no film geek, but I'm as likely to nominate Planet Of The Apes or Star Wars (for what they meant to me and to filmmaking at the time they were released) as "Hunger", a Scandinavian film which won the Cannes Film prize in 1966. Brilliant movie which stays with you.

WRITER: Laurie Lee, Clive James, Stephen Pile. Cartooning? Reg Smythe, Posy Simmonds, Claire Bretecher. Not sucking up or playing tit-for-tat, but Roger is at the top of the tree as far as writing cartoon strips goes, especially for the Brit market. I use his seamless transition to Andy Capp as the only example of a legacy strip which is as good as the original.

HOLIDAY: I don't believe I've ever been on a specific holiday for holiday's sake (no past destinations come to mind). I would like to go to New York.

DRINK: Murphy's stout -far superior to Guinness but can't get it on tap here.

BAND: Yes, The Who. I spend hours on You Tube downloading Who footage. Check out their "Won't Get Fooled Again" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAlpsiaVNEA
Townshend is wasted, but almost never misses a chord. Daltrey can't sing anymore these days, sadly.
Jeez, bands these days are wimps.
Also, Deep Purple, Penguin Cafe Orchestra, Neil Young, Knopfler, too many to name.

T.V.: Fast Show, Two Ronnies, Pete and Dud, Victor Borge, Smothers Brothers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgwH-XngXKo) Laurel and Hardy, Victoria Wood.

PASTIMES: Football (I'm a qualified coach hoping to go for my Asia "C" licence this year)

CARTOONS: Warner Brothers. Yosemite Sam, Bugs, Daffy. Disney characters stink. Newspapers? In the UK, Beau Peep, in the States, Get Fuzzy, Pearls Before Swine, What The Duck, Barkeater Lake, Medium Large.
The last three on that list can only be accessed via the web. Google 'em.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 10:31:26 AM »
Forgot Pete 'n' Dud and The Smothers Brothers (I absolutely LOVED them!)

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 10:45:52 AM »
Yes, Pete 'n' Dud, Smothers Brothers AND Victor Borge indeed (I was lucky enough to see him at that cultural Mecca that is Dundee City Hall - unique comedy genius). Good calls, Malc!
I apologise, in advance.

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 10:58:54 AM »
Loads of Borge on You Tube. Bang goes my next hour or so...
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 12:30:16 PM »
Tarquin's list is scarily like mine: spag bol, peanut butter, Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach, To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, Unbreakable (2000), The Great Escape (1963), Coffee, Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull,Yes (Prime) Minister,  not gardening.

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 03:36:24 PM »
Tarquin's list is scarily like mine: spag bol, peanut butter, Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach, To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, Unbreakable (2000), The Great Escape (1963), Coffee, Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull,Yes (Prime) Minister,  not gardening.

Hmmm! I've never seen you in the same room as me, Mr Mince....
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 03:57:45 PM »
If we're a kind of Clark Kent and Superman, then I'm the one who wears his underpants on the outside.

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 04:43:48 PM »
Which means I'm the mild-mannered reporter, so...

You look a complete ninny!

Tarquin Thunderthighs lll...News at 4.45...Barking
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 05:10:37 PM »
FOOD:  King Prawn Masala, Smoked Haddock, Sunday Roast.

BOOK: Atlas of Great Britain.

FILM:  Life of Brian.

WRITER: Dick Francis.

HOLIDAY: Scilly Isles.

DRINK:  Bitter (real ale - not cold 70/- keg rubbish). Red wine. Malt whisky.

BAND:  Radiohead, Beatles, Kinks, Morrissey.

T.V.: The Office, Fawlty Towers, Extras, Dragons' Den, 2000 Acres of Sky, The Simpsons.

PASTIMES:  Dining out with birds, Watching football.

CARTOONISTS:  Kettle and Christine. ;D
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 07:25:02 PM »
Just something Tarquin said but is there a gag somewhere in eBay City Rollers?

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 08:23:18 PM »
I forgot the film "The Graduate" and the band, The Kinks and the book, "Adventures in the Screen Trade".

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 01:41:56 PM »
I had the stomach flu all weekend, my favourite things are my second quilt and bedsocks, my can of ginger ale and my puke bucket.

I may review my list later in the week.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad