Author Topic: Back safely from London ...  (Read 16408 times)

Joan

Re: Back safely from London ...
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2008, 10:19:21 AM »
I just realised it was you who suggested the West Coast, TT - sorry, bit confused this morning.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2008, 10:53:43 AM »
I couldn't help but notice, Joan, that you took so many cracking photographs of your tour that, for one of them, you didn't notice that you had the camera the wrong way round, and we were treated to a photograph of you.

This is most welcome! It's really good to put a face to the name, and dispel any mental images we may have of each other. I wonder if anyone else will make so bold?

I already know what Roger, Peeps, Malc and Mince looks like, but have to rely on my mental imagery for the rest of you guys, influenced by avatars and little snippets of information which help to build up the picture. However, I'd hate to be doing anyone an injustice, and at the moment (for instance) I have Colin looking akin to Frankenstein's creation, with massive scars held together by large staples, on account of the one photograph we have been allowed of him so far (oh, and wearing a hideous brown shirt).

I do understand the natural reservations about putting too much information on the web, and I fully respect that, but if anyone is feeling as bold as Joan, then I for one would be delighted to put a face to the name.

And I'll show you mine, if you show me yours.
I apologise, in advance.

Vulture

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2008, 11:49:27 AM »

Even for such an enticement as this, I'd advise you to stick to the picture of a vulture!  :o

Joan

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2008, 12:06:53 PM »
Ooops, how did that get in there?  Breaks up the scenery a bit, though.  Go on Vulture, might be worth it.  I've sort of thrown caution to the wind with showing photos of myself - the wind is helping cover up things in that one - at least on one side of my face.

Off into town now to brave the rain and the Festival tourists for a short while.  Taking my niece out to dinner tonight.  She's 30 today.  Now that makes me feel old - not as old as my sister though!

peter

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2008, 01:22:42 PM »
Fabulous, Peepsie!

Malc, as a veteran of the A9 from Perth to Inverness, and having holidayed in Aviemore almost every year for the past quarter of a century, I agree the scenery is wonderful. It's one of my favourite drives in the UK, with variety all the way.

However, it's only the beginning, as I found out only a decade ago. The best of what Scotland has to offer lies further up the road, north of Dingwall, then up to Lairg and beyond. Where the single-track road takes you beyond any other sign of civilisation for mile upon mile, through the most stunning peaks and lochs you can possibly imagine. I thought I'd seen some spectacular parts of Scotland and the rest of the UK, but I can honestly say that nothing I'd encountered before on these isles could touch the breath-taking views the first time I ventured north of Lairg. I kept stopping to take it all in, each time saying it can't get any better than this, then 20 minutes further up the road, you turn a bend and it does.

Eventually, you can go no further north. But then you encounter perhaps the greatest surprise of all - beaches like the one Peepsie posted above. They're all along that north coast - you expect grey, dark, cold and even oppressive, but what you get is turquoise waters, beautiful golden sands with nary a footprint in sight... and palm trees. Nobody had told me - I literally could not believe my eyes the first time I stepped on the beach at the marvellously named Bettyhill, before heading for home through the jagged peaks (hundreds of them, fading into the distance) and magnificent lochs.

I've done the east coast route, and been up and down the middle routes. Before I die, I'll bag the west coast. Joan, if you've still got three weeks left, and enough stamina (it's a heck of a long drive, but richly rewarding if you get a nice day), don't take my word for it...

Just near Lairg is were we stayed and saw the pine martens we also saw salmon jumping at the Spey falls about five miles from Lairg.
I agree with you it was just beautiful around there.

Malc

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2008, 02:56:52 PM »
Fantastic photos, I just had a look at some of the latest ones - well done, Joan. I heard a legend that Pitlochry was where Pontius Pilate was born.

I went there to see the little Pitlochry theatre which (in the late 70s anyway) was quite a thriving and successful thing, attracting famous actors.

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2008, 04:02:52 PM »
I went there to see the little Pitlochry theatre which (in the late 70s anyway) was quite a thriving and successful thing, attracting famous actors.

I used to take my mother to a play there every year for her birthday, until she could no longer leave her house, Malc. It's a cracking venue (and not that little - several hundred seats, I reckon) in a beautiful location, still thriving, and indeed still attracting many fine professional actors. Not bad for a theatre that literally started life as a tent after World War Two.

It's also one of our stop-off points on our annual Aviemore pilgrimage.

I apologise, in advance.

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2008, 11:29:33 AM »

Even for such an enticement as this, I'd advise you to stick to the picture of a vulture!  :o

Ah, but you've spoiled that image now, Vult, by revealing that you are Chinese, and I'm lacking the ability to visualise an oriental scavenger bird (how I ever became a cartoonist, I'll never know). I'm sure whatever you were to post would be far easier on the eye than anything I have to offer, Vult. Don't be shy!
I apologise, in advance.

Joan

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2008, 10:24:32 PM »
I'm off to Glasgow tomorrow - according to my niece, the shopping is much better there than Edinburgh.  The weather looks like it's going to be better too.  Wish me luck.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2008, 09:22:48 AM »
Good luck, Joan. I hope it turns out well.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2008, 09:51:01 AM »

Smooth talking b.... (What's he after, Joan?)
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Joan

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2008, 03:00:52 PM »

Smooth talking b.... (What's he after, Joan?)

Absolutely no idea, Peeps.  Could it possibly be that he's just being nice?

The weather in Glasgow was worse than in Edinburgh, of course.  Didn't matter much though.  What did matter was that I got to Glasgow Queen Street station and thought "Should have listened to sis's directions."  Had no idea which way to go!  Somehow, my nose for all things retail led me in the right direction (could have been the signs to Buchanan Street subway which helped as well).  Pretty much the same shops, but a lack of tourists, replaced by gruff Glaswegians.  Much better than tacky Princes Street in Edinburgh - anyone been there recently?  It's dreadful.

Joan

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2008, 03:29:10 PM »
Been doing a bit more of Scotland in the last few days.  Apart from Glasgow, I've been across to the West Coast to visit Saltcoats, Ardrossan and Stevenston.  My mother's family comes from there, so we went over so I could see some things relevant to them.  I haven't been there since I was about 5, so it was quite interesting for me.  According to my sister it hasn't changed much, Malc, although where my family lived in Stevenston has changed quite a bit, not for the better either.  Unfortunately, it wasn't very clear, so I didn't get any pictures of Arran and the Clyde.

Stayed at Prestwick for the night.  Warning - if staying overnight on a Saturday in Scotland, have breakfast at your hotel!  We decided to look for somewhere else and by 11 am on Sunday and 55 miles further on, everything was still shut.  By that time, I just needed a hit of coffee, never mind the food.  Anyway, back to our meanderings.  We decided to drive down to our old home town of Castle Douglas in Galloway on our way to lunch with our aunt near Dumfries.  Now there's a part of Scotland worth seeing which not many Scots visit.  It's very picturesque - rolling hills, forests, lochs, etc.

Most of the photos I've taken recently have been of family and friends, but I did walk up to Balerno reservoir the other day and just had to take photos of the reflections - it was absolutely still.

http://users.tpg.com.au/pdcs01/UK2008/reflectionbalernores1.jpg

http://users.tpg.com.au/pdcs01/UK2008/reflectionbalernores2.jpg

The hill is one of the Pentland Hills.

Malc

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2008, 04:26:03 PM »
Joan, my family still live in Saltcoats and Stevenston, my mum lives in Adams Avenue, Saltcoats, my brother Clive stays at Campbell Ave, Stevenston.

They're not the most salubrious areas, I'll grant you, but we McGookins are common as muck.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2008, 07:32:23 PM »
Joan - do you realise how close to Bute you actually got?

I went over to Arran yesterday (from Rothesay, on The Waverley paddle steamer). It's good to get away from Bute now and again.

Nice pics, by the way.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟