Author Topic: Where are all the Ladies?  (Read 3724 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Where are all the Ladies?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 10:34:40 PM »
Glad you had a great night, Roger.

I only go out once a week now - on a Saturday to do my karaoke. Last Saturday, I was just about to start singing "Tears in Heaven", and three young birds decided to get up and sing with me! They have 2 microphones available, so, although I'd already started singing, I handed them the second mike and made it clear, (by gestures) that they were to stand behind me, in effect as "backing singers". I was worried initially that they were going to steal my thunder.
I don't know "Tears in Heaven". It sounds like a ballad which, for some reason, I imagine is your forte. I've always thought that the greatest, most bitter-sweet ballad of all time is "Love Hurts". Actually, take out the "sweet" bit---that is a really bitter song! Could I put in a request for that, Peeps? Could you post your version on here?

Vulture

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 10:37:31 PM »
Your daughter sure reached 21 quickly. Wasn't it only yesterday you were worried about her staying out late?

Diane, it was only yesterday she was born. Sob.

It was my 'baby's' 35th last week...... I have no idea where the time goes. I just wish I'd had the foresight to video everything so I could press replay.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 10:56:48 PM »
I'm surprised you don't know it, Roger. It was written by Eric Clapton after his young son was killed falling from an apartment in a tower-block. I love the song, and it's pretty universal - I've heard it sung in Manila. It's quite easy to sing, I have to admit, and it suits my voice/range/scale.

Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 11:30:25 PM »
I can't believe I'd forgotten the title of this song. It's excellent.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2008, 11:50:52 PM »
Last Saturday, I was just about to start singing "Tears in Heaven", and three young birds decided to get up and sing with me! [..] I was worried initially that they were going to steal my thunder.

And could they in fact sing in tune?

Joan

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2008, 11:55:21 PM »
Congratulations to your daughter on her 21st, Roger.  It's a big milestone - for everyone!

I was out last night as well, with your cousin-in-law.  We went to the movies (Brideshead Revisited) and then for coffee and a chat in Dee Why.  There would have been one, or two, or three people (not you, this time  :) ) in various parts of the United Kingdom whose ears were burning while they were having their morning coffee (or tea, or whatever is their preferred mid-morning tipple).

As for the title of this thread, I couldn't think of anything to contribute to the football or smutty ones, mainly because I don't understand most of what you're going on about, of course.  I was going to start a new sensible one to get you back on the straight and narrow, but didn't have time - been a bit busy, which is why I have to go now.  Have a good Tuesday, everyone, or a good rest of Monday.

Malc

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2008, 12:03:22 AM »
As I was footing the bill, I tried not scream when several of the company ordered sweet,

*affects a Dundonian accent* "Ye'll have had yer tea..."

I was doing karaoke on Saturday night at a friends house. I'm normally quite astute at picking what I can sing (I used to be in a band, you know) but I went close to the wire with "It's Not Unusual".

It goes without saying I'm no Tom Jones, but I tend to mimic the people I'm karaoke-ing and I opened up the throttle and did a good, if third rate, version.

Problem is, when you're in a home karaoke environment, you're inhibited, and you don't really let rip, because you feel you're taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut. With Tom Jones stuff, however, you can't take half measures, and the bit where he sings "...find that I'm in LOVE with you, oh woah woah woah woh woooaaoh, etc, etc" takes you by surprise and I had to go into a falsetto.

Still, I didn't sing any bum notes, and that's the main thing.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2008, 01:02:59 AM »
I'm just hoping you didn't throw your underpants at your Grandmother, Malc.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Malc

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2008, 10:51:47 AM »
Dead these many long years, sadly.

My underpants, that is.

Malc

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2008, 10:54:51 AM »
I'm just hoping you didn't throw your underpants at your Grandmother, Malc.
For some reason after reading that, I couldn't get a certain phrase from Monty Python's Holy Grail out of my head.

I'm going to let you lot guess which one.