Author Topic: A Female Football Manager!  (Read 3082 times)

Zesty White

Re: A Female Football Manager!
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 04:55:28 PM »
What will the other manager have to say - especially if this lady's team win?

I'll never forget Peter Hetherston, then manager of Albion Rovers showing how much of a 'new man' he was with his comments about the linesman Morag Pirie.
And I quote....

"I knew it wasn?t going to be our day when I arrived at Links Park and found that we had a woman running the line. She should be at home making the tea or the dinner for her man who comes in after he has been to the football. This is a professional man?s game. I believe that she shouldn?t be here. Crucial decisions are being made which affect players and managers. Every time the ball went forward in the first half she had the flag raised for offside. That?s how I feel and I think I have to speak out."

:o

Zesty White

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 04:56:20 PM »
Whoops, did I say linesman? I meant assistant referee....

Malc

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 12:55:19 AM »
I had that sort of thing to contend with all last season. Coaching a womens team opens up your eyes to all sorts of prejudice that previously you never even suspected.

Very good friends would come out with "oh I couldn't stand watching that crap". I would say, "it's not crap, I have some great players in the side - fast, skilful, courageous. Maybe not as fast, but certainly as interesting to watch".

I might as well have been talking to the wall. My main critic was actually the senior team manager (not coach, mind, the manager - the guy who fills the match book in and makes sure the shirts are washed). "God - women's football? I can't be bothered with it. I saw a game the other night, and they can't even KICK a ball!"

I held back from saying "I've seen you play and YOU can't even kick a ball". That was the old Malcolm.