Author Topic: Le Avventure Del Legionario Beep Peep  (Read 11567 times)

Rob Baker

Le Avventure Del Legionario Beep Peep
« on: May 16, 2009, 01:25:40 AM »
I was a bit intrigued about the Italian Beau Peep item on the other thread, so I've done a bit of research...

It appears that Beau Peep is called 'Beep Peep' in Italy.

Here's the Italian Wikipedia page:
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beep_Peep

Four books, which look similar to the UK Pedigree ones, have been published by 'Eura Editoriale' :

This appears to be the detail of the book which Roger thinks he's bought off ebay (it looks like the same publisher as those above, so maybe it's a 'best of'):

Titolo: Beep Peep
Autore: KETTLE R (testi) . CHRISTINE A (disegni) .
Editore: EURA EDITORIALE
Note: Supplemento al n. 7 di Lanciostory 1994.
Genere: Comici
Anno: 1994
Prezzo: 2.50

I also found this PDF file - open it up with Adobe and go to page 4....

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/antaresproject/jurassic_gnu.pdf

According to the Bablefish translating site, the text says:
"The estimative ones of periodicals dell' Publishing Eura will know this streep comic very well, perhaps less pompous than more illustrious equivalents of the calibrio of Bonvi and Silver (in order to cite our authors), but dall' identical emphasis in the valence of the transposition from comic strip of the Gnu little one? " The adventures of the legionario Beep Peep": text of Kettle and design of Christine".

And someone on a comics forum in 1990 said this (translated from the Italian into Pigeon English by Google):-

"........This news will affect '2 or 3 people at most, but I could not do other than scream perche 'e' of historic :-)    After at least 15 years of uninterrupted publication in the  'Weekly Lanciostory the Eura' has finally decided to reveal the names of the authors of the humorous strip "Peep Beep".      Myself had searched in vain for years: even in a network nobody knows nothing of this strip, and yet 'one of the most often' funny that I have read.   "Peep Beep" by Kettle and Christine, strip that tells humorous English the misadventures of two soldiers sfigatissimi Foreign Legion and their crazy, stralunato fort.   Dedicated to those who do not like "Here the Legion" by Robin Wood ;-) .........."

[It appears "Lanciostory" is an Italian cartoons magazine published weekly by 'Eura Editoriale'].

I hope you've been collecting your royalties, Roger...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 02:26:09 PM by Rob Baker »

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: Le Avventure Del Legionario Beep Peep
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 04:11:46 AM »
Wow Rob - I hope you have a high up job in the secret service - don't answer that question, wouldn't want you kicked out for letting it slip.

I don't know Italian; do you think the jokes are the same or would they have made some local references such as spagetti rather than mince?
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Tom

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 09:40:14 AM »
translated from the Italian into Pigeon English by Google:-
"........ "Peep Beep" by Kettle and Christine, strip that tells humorous English the misadventures of two soldiers sfigatissimi Foreign Legion and their crazy, stralunato fort.........."

I like that line, for some reason. I wonder what sfigatissimi could mean?

It reminds me of 'Allo 'Allo!

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 09:40:23 AM »
Thanks for all that, Rob. I certainly didn't know that FOUR books had been published and, no, I haven't received any royalties. Mama Mia!

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 10:57:15 AM »
do you think the jokes are the same or would they have made some local references such as spagetti rather than mince?

Mince is a big enough joke.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 07:47:08 PM »
I bought it. I really want to check Diane's mince/spaghetti theory.

Rob Baker

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 07:55:20 PM »
I used Bebelfish to translate the cover art....

Pollo to the beer? without pollo.
(no wonder Beau is looking bemused)

Anywhere intense activities, you always end for ficcare the head from some part.

E' scrprenosnte! I have always believed that you were stupid naturally. I did not think that you it wanted exercise to us.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 07:59:39 PM by Rob Baker »

Tom

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 08:17:38 PM »
E' scrprenosnte! I wonder if there are any other languages available...?

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 08:22:33 PM »
Great stuff, Rob.
I can make sense of one and three but two's a bit of a mystery.
One: Chicken a la Beer---without the chicken.
Three: I always thought you were naturally stupid---I didn't actually think you had to work at it.
Roughly speaking, that is.

Rob Baker

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 01:59:50 PM »
I just found a page of 'Beep Peep' on an Italian football forum (sorry about the quality) :

I can't be arsed to put all the text into Bablefish to see if the humour hasn't been lost in translation. Maybe your good lady would be happy to do a bit of homework, Roger? It'll be good practice for her.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 08:14:06 PM »
Sadly, Rob, my good lady has just started taking Italian classes so the extent of her conversation runs to "This is a pencil---good!"

Fyodor

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 10:23:03 AM »
Sadly, Rob, my good lady has just started taking Italian classes so the extent of her conversation runs to "This is a pencil---good!"
No it isn't.

Malc

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 10:27:13 AM »

I sincerely hope you get something from Beep Peep, Roger, it looks like the real deal!