Author Topic: Bon Voyage, Peeps!  (Read 6214 times)

Malc

Re: Bon Voyage, Peeps!
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2009, 08:57:56 AM »
Not trying to make you even more worried, but two girls that good looking (saw the Facebook pics) should have their mothers with them until they are about 35 at least

Joan

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2009, 10:10:34 PM »
Thanks a lot, Malc!  ..0  I'm not that worried, though.  They are so much more savvy than I was at that age, so despite the fact that, by their age, I had been by myself in Germany for six months at school, Switzerland for three months as an aupair and had done two Eurorail pass journeys (the first one disastrous), I know they're much better equipped to deal with "things" than I was.  :)

They've arrived safely - Kate didn't enjoy the flight much - she's very tall and economy doesn't give you much leg room these days. They're also very jetlagged.  I think that trip has to be the worst, as you go over the dateline and the time difference is huge - they're 17 hours behind us. However, they did the LA tour yesterday and enjoyed that and they were watching the 4th July fireworks out the window when I talked to Kate. The LA tour doesn't seem to have changed since I did it in 1979.  Hollywood, stars homes, Farmers' Market, etc.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2009, 10:54:58 PM »
I imagine the price of the tomatoes has shot up since your visit.  ;D

What did you learn in Germany Joan?

I miss Peeps.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Colin

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2009, 11:30:43 PM »
I was in Germany (Berlin) for 2 years.

Ein bier bitte.

Danke shun.

;D

Joan

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2009, 12:17:18 AM »
It was an international language school, Diane, so apart from the German language and cultural studies, trying to learn German shorthand (that's a joke, there's no such thing, the words are so long), typing, etc, I learned a lot from the other students, who were from all over the world, including Japan, Thailand, Australia, England, Italy, France, Iceland, Venezuela, Columbia, Spain and Germany itself. Most of the stuff I learned from them I should probably have learned earlier in my teens, (I was 17) but I was at boarding school and led a very sheltered life - honestly!

Yes, my German did improve markedly, despite the fact that I spent a lot of the time speaking English to my english friend.  We also had heaps of fun, travelled around a fair bit, and I even went to my first concert - Elton John in Frankfurt.  I can still see him on stage - hard to forget, he had sparkly lime green boots with heels and wedges, a lime green suit with tails, a similar top hat and the huge specs, no doubt lime green as well.  Those were the days.

That's all you really need, isn't Colin?  I bet you can manage a bit more though, if you were there for two years.

Malc

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2009, 06:11:46 AM »
Where was your school in Germany, Joan? I was more or less brought up there, I lived in Wilhelmshaven, Hamm, Verden and Herford.

Joan

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2009, 06:35:41 AM »
It was near Koenigstein-im-Taunus, Malc, about 30 km North-West of Frankfurt. It was in a castle - just a big house, really - Schloss Rettershof. The school isn't there any more.  I think it's a hotel now.  In fact, here it is http://www.schlosshotel-rettershof.de/frame1us.htm - amazing what you can find on the internet!

Malc

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2009, 07:14:52 AM »
I seem to be going through a German phase at the moment -lots of coincidences, like the new lad who wants to join my team having a German father who lived in Hamm the same time I did.

I could quite happily live back in Germany, I loved the place and had a fantastic time at my school reunion back in 1999.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2009, 05:30:19 PM »
Diane is so sweet. I'm now on Mactan Island, which is part of Cebu. We have been in Dumaguete on the island of Negros for 2 days. Yesterday we decided we had to travel and could only get a rust-bucket ferry. The Philippines has the worst ferry record in the world, but it was calm.

I have to unashamably state that we are at the Cebu Hilton tonight. It's cheap by UK standards. There's a pier next to the hotel for trips to Olango Island. We went today and visited sevaral places. I've been here for 3 years now, and Olango Island left me gob-smacked. Clean, loads of small villages, fabulous nature reserves.  I was really pleased to see it and discover it. I went on some walks.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2009, 05:40:56 PM »
I've posted some more pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/nigel.sutherland/FarEastHoliday2009#

I'll add more when I can. Local people are employed by the commercial enterprises, and although I know it's not perfect, it's going in the right way.

Take care all.

Joan

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2009, 06:54:50 AM »
Wonderful photos, Peeps.  I've added you to my favourites in Picasa, so I get notified when you upload to your public albums. Keep them coming - fascinating.  Nice pic of you and your son.  :)

I miss you too.  :-*

Malc

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2009, 10:15:04 PM »
So you've been there for three years and you discovered Olango Island. Any more absolute porkies you'd like to share with us?

Tom

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2009, 10:55:31 PM »
So you've been there for three years and you discovered Olango Island. Any more absolute porkies you'd like to share with us?
;D

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2009, 04:03:59 PM »
Good one, Malc! I've been on Bohol for several days, which is really beautiful. I'll try and upload some pics soon. We've returned to Cebu, and this city is manic and hugely unattractive. Just staying overnight, as tomorrow we fly to the jewel of the country - Boracay, where we're having a week doing nothing.

Cebu is probably twinned with Calcutta, but it came alive tonight. We found a square which was full off merchants selling barbecued street food. Loads of music too. Great atmosphere, and cheap.

Our destination airport (for Boracay) on the neighbouring island of Panay has been switched tomorrow. It was to have been Caticlan, but the runway is short, and lately two planes have gone off the end - one into a ditch and the other hit a wall I'm told. Anyway, the main airlines are now refusing to use it. The alternative airport means an hour's bus ride extra, but I'll feel safer.

They do have problems with transport here. In May, a small banca boat sank on the route to Puerta Galera (where we first went), and 12 poor souls were lost.

I'll keep you all updated!

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2009, 08:38:55 PM »
As they used to say in Hill Street Blues, be careful out there.
I kind of envy you, Peeps. I love being in far-off places but I'm not wild about the travelling. Long flights put me off going to lots of places. After three or four hours, the boredom, the discomfort and (mild) claustrophobia start getting to me. I'm toying with going to Montana again in September and the best route I've found is from London to Denver and then up to Billings. I think the initial flight is around ten hours, which is about two hours longer than anything I've done so far. It also doesn't help that all the airlines have got together and decided that only the most boring movies ever made will be shown in-flight. When you throw in the security levels at airports these days, getting from A to B takes in the rest of the alphabet. (My 87 year-old Mother-in-Law had her luggage AND her person searched recently prior to a flight from Birmingham to Dundee!)
I have somehow slipped into another grumpy old man rant.
Er....enjoy the rest of your holiday, Nige!