Author Topic: Mad Pierre's brother?  (Read 4003 times)

Rob Baker

Mad Pierre's brother?
« on: June 27, 2009, 09:22:30 PM »

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Mad Pierre's brother?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 10:08:41 PM »
Good Grief, Rob, how on earth did you track that down? This is thirty year-old material from the days that Andrew and I worked for men's magazines to make a living. (Note the "Randy" signature---R for Roger and, well, Andy). Amazing. And...er...thank goodness, that's one of the milder ones. Please don't tell me you've got more.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 11:41:15 PM »
I think Rob must work for MI5 - the cartoon division
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Rob Baker

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 11:41:33 PM »
I thought that'd suprise you Roger! I've got just 2 more which I'll post on new threads - and don't panic, they're not saucy. And thanks for the call - it was great to hear from you again!

Joan

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 09:39:11 AM »
When you and Andrew had your first one published Roger, you told me to suss it out, so next time I was in a newsagent's I marched over to the mens' magazines section, picked the particular magazine up and low and behold, there it was - not difficult to guess which one with that signature!  Only thing was, I had a male friend (friend's boyfriend) with me and he was absolutely mortified!  :-[   Stood over the other side of the shop while I tried to get him to come over and have a look.  I wasn't in the least bit embarrassed.  I mean, it was either Penthouse or Playboy and they're not that bad.  As I remember it, you were very proud - quite rightly.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 09:45:55 AM by Joan »

Joan

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 09:43:14 AM »
Funny that you should post this, Rob, because the other thread about looking at magazines in newsagents for cartoons you've had published made me think of it and I meant to post about it in there.  Wasn't sure whether Roger would want me to, but may as well now!

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 10:04:59 AM »
You mean you didn't BUY the magazine!!!

Joan

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 01:44:05 PM »
You know, I don't know if I did or not. ;D  It would not be unlike me to buy it just to embarrass Derek even further. He probably dragged me away before I got a chance though.  I should go and have a look in my "keepsakes" boxes later - maybe it's lurking in there.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 11:51:47 AM »
These Randy cartoons are marvellous! Roger, which Dundee bar was it that had them displayed around the walls? I remember enjoying many bar lunches there, and enjoying the exhibition (in so many senses of the word), but I'm jiggered if I can recall the name of the bar (Sinatra's springs to mind, but I think that was nearby).

Anyways, they were all magnificently executed and very funny, but my favourite was the wishing well one. I'm sure you'll know which one I'm talking about...
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 12:42:25 PM »
It was Foreigners bar, Tarks---sadly, no longer around. Speaking of Dundee pubs, I'll be heading to one on Thursday for the retiral do of ex-king of The Beano, Euan Kerr. Are you coming up?

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 12:49:49 PM »
It was Foreigners bar, Tarks---sadly, no longer around. Speaking of Dundee pubs, I'll be heading to one on Thursday for the retiral do of ex-king of The Beano, Euan Kerr. Are you coming up?

Yeah you going to see Euan Kerr, you wan..., er... Tarks?
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 12:55:06 PM »
Crikey - he can't retire - he must only be in his thirties.....oh...........is that the time already? Jeeeez!

I've only just come back down from Scotland in the early hours of this morning, Roger (apologies for not popping over to see you this time, but it was the usual quart-in-pint-pot weekend with my kids).

This is the first I've heard of Euan's retirement (it surely must be an early one?), and so, much as I'd love to join in the celebrations for one of the true gentlemen of the profession, prolific talents, and all-round good egg, I'm not sure my presence at a DC Thomson gathering wouldn't mar the occasion somewhat, given that there will undoubtedly be some present who wouldn't be overjoyed to see me turn up (though Euan wouldn't be one of them).

A diplomatic distance would be the better option I think, but thanks for the heads up, and do wish him a happy retirement from me - he's certainly earned his extra time on the golf course.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:57:24 PM by Tarquin Thunderthighs lll »
I apologise, in advance.

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 12:56:20 PM »

Yeah you going to see Euan Kerr, you wan..., er... Tarks?

Peepsie - puh-leeese...shouldn't you be concentrating on your tan?  ..0
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 06:27:10 PM »
Yep, it's an early retirement for Euan, Tarks. He's the same age as me (58, dammit) but is happily taking what's on offer after a long shift. I will certainly pass on your best wishes.