Author Topic: What's the greatest ever TV theme ?  (Read 3866 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: What's the greatest ever TV theme ?
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2009, 10:14:27 AM »
My first introduction to M*A*S*H was the book---back in about 1970---which inspired me to see the film. I thought both were brilliant. When the T.V. series came along, I thought it was pretty good but lacked the "edge" of the first two incarnations. American television at the time was a thoroughly sanitised medium and the series suffered because of this. Nonetheless, there were some great moments and it had, mostly, a terrific cast. It's a pity that, because of the restrictions, the writers took the sentimental, maudlin route far too often for my liking. It would be really interesting to see what a top production team would do with it today.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2009, 10:51:16 AM »
I take your point entirely, Roger, and M*A*S*H (to give it its full title) would've been a very different series if it had been made today, especially by the risk-taking channels.

I'm not entirely convinced it would be better however. I'm pretty sure I saw the TV series before I saw the film (I didn't read the book), and I recall being disappointed by the film, possibly because I'd already got used to the TV actors playing the parts, and not all were the same as the film. But for its time, the issues it tackled and the way it tackled them (it was sanitised, yes, but there was still some fairly graphic scenes for what was effectively a soap opera) was ground-breaking, and I thought the characterisations were superb and completely convincing. I loved them all, even Burns and Houlihan.

Yes, it could be over-sentimental at times, and that probably wouldn't happen today (though I'm not convinced of that), but I didn't necessarily see that as a bad thing (I admit to being a Waltons devotee also - I was still young), and the power of the series was there always. It was the first 'comedy' series (and only one that I can think of) that could not only make you laugh and cry virtually at will, but also bloody angry.

All that said, I dare not watch any reruns. I'd hate to prove myself wrong.
I apologise, in advance.

Malc

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2009, 09:29:42 AM »
At the top of this thread I wrote "The Big Country" when I meant "The Big Valley".

"The Big Country" was a film.
This correction caused me to go looking on You Tube and I stumbled across this bloody wonderful band and song. Take a look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXHOyqHzupk&feature=related

robbie62

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2009, 12:04:56 PM »
what the fleck was that...if only the beatles have had a bassoon player ..