Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 8250 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2009, 03:18:36 AM »
See, now it it were on an MP3 or ipod you could take out one ear plug and pretend to switch it off. Then you could look at her with a pleasant look on your face and nod now and again and say "You, are so right!" every five minutes or so whilst listening to the story. 

Baring that, you could cover the book to look like a bible and say "I would like to share the word with you sister". Of course once your book is finished you could end up with some lonely lunch hours.  ;D
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Tom

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2009, 04:05:32 AM »
Or you could be pre-prepared and have a list of obscure words by your side, and when someone gatecrashes your space say "What does @@@@@@ mean - just read it a few pages ago." If they know what the word means, thank them, saying I've never thought of it in that context; when free, dash to the nearest lottery shop and buy a lucky dip...

Vulture

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2009, 11:10:35 AM »
Just an update for Diane:

I was at the part in "Pillars" where William, Walter and their army were on the verge of attacking the castle when someone from work plops her uninvited self at my table (I didn't even see her) and says: "I know you're reading, but I just wanted to sit here with you. I won't take up too much of your time." Yeah, right. She sat there talking for 20 minutes until it was time for me to go back to work!  See what I have to put up with!

The problem is, Feather, you're too nice! Just give them a stare and, if that doesn't work, carry on reading as though they weren't there. Always works for me -NOTHING comes between me and a book!!

Malc

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
I never interrupt people who are reading, and I hate being interrupted when I am reading.

I also hate people who stop walking when they reach the moving walkway and then block all traffic behind them. But I digress.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2009, 07:08:21 AM »
One of my pet hates, Malcolm! Folk who get to the top of an escalator, step off, and then stop. You can't help piling into them.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Malc

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2009, 02:49:54 PM »
What I do in those situations is, I get hold of them by the scruff of their necks (even little old ladies) and their waist band, then I huckle them to the down escalator and THROW them bodily down it, revelling in the sound of the multiple impacts and their screams of pain.

I do that mentally, that is.

Feather

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2009, 04:51:09 AM »
Diane, I wanted to let you know that I finally finished The Pillars of the Earth - all 973 pages of it. After I really got into it, all I can say is:  Wow! I have started the sequel, World Without End and it's a daunting 1014 pages, so I hope it is as action-packed. Of course I also have five new books I just received to choose from.  :)

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2009, 07:49:01 AM »
Diane, I wanted to let you know that I finally finished The Pillars of the Earth

That's a bit like the title of Mince's biography - Pillock of this Earth.

Vulture

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2009, 08:56:56 AM »
Diane, I wanted to let you know that I finally finished The Pillars of the Earth

That's a bit like the title of Mince's biography - Pillock of this Earth.

You think Mince is from Earth????

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2009, 09:52:33 AM »
Sorry, "Pillock of the Deep".

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2009, 11:33:27 AM »
Anyway, we had to switch the DNS servers for www.cameldung.co.uk and then Peepmaster asked for the Nominet Tag.

I emailed this (where CA stands for CANADA):

TUCOWS-CA

And Peepmaster emailed back with:

Diane... and who's the other one?

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2009, 11:42:40 AM »
 <-
I apologise, in advance.

Joan

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
 <- I'll second that.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2009, 12:39:05 PM »
Anyway, we had to switch the DNS servers for www.cameldung.co.uk and then Peepmaster asked for the Nominet Tag.

I emailed this (where CA stands for CANADA):

TUCOWS-CA

And Peepmaster emailed back with:

Diane... and who's the other one?

Of course - she's definitely going to believe that, Mr Mince. We're facebook buddies!

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2009, 07:05:05 AM »
Nige you are a rotten sod.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad