Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 8272 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2009, 07:08:09 AM »
Diane, I wanted to let you know that I finally finished The Pillars of the Earth - all 973 pages of it. After I really got into it, all I can say is:  Wow! I have started the sequel, World Without End and it's a daunting 1014 pages, so I hope it is as action-packed. Of course I also have five new books I just received to choose from.  :)

It was great wasn't it Feather. It was cool to hear how those early jobs became common surnames. I liked Pillars the most but other people who have read both liked World more. World has a lot more going on in it. I hope he writes another one 200 years later set in the 1500s
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Feather

« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2009, 03:52:29 PM »
I got caught up in all the battles, the romance, the drama, the tragedies, the redemptions and the historical facts. I enjoyed how everything was tied to the building of the cathedral. It amazed me how they could build that cathedral without all the machinery that would be used today.     

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2009, 08:49:58 PM »
Nige you are a rotten sod.

You were right, Peepmaster. It's obvious I'm making it all up.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2009, 08:58:42 PM »
Nige you are a rotten sod.

You were right, Peepmaster. It's obvious I'm making it all up.

Looks like she actually believes you.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2009, 09:26:48 PM »
I got caught up in all the battles, the romance, the drama, the tragedies, the redemptions and the historical facts. I enjoyed how everything was tied to the building of the cathedral. It amazed me how they could build that cathedral without all the machinery that would be used today.     

Feather, please read Lonesome Dove. If you don't regard it as one of the finest examples of brilliant story-telling ever written then I'll refund the cost of the book.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2009, 09:47:04 PM »
Feather, please read Lonesome Dove. If you don't regard it as one of the finest examples of brilliant story-telling ever written then I'll refund the cost of the book.

Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurtry - I can get a second hand copy for £12,467.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2009, 11:31:02 PM »

It all sounds rather like the rehosting of the Beau Peep Forum.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2009, 12:01:40 AM »

We're having the whole thing re-enacted next year by the Sealed Knot.

Feather

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2009, 04:40:07 AM »

My mother loves Lonesome Dove.

Feather

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2009, 05:18:13 AM »

Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurtry - I can get a second hand copy for £12,467.

Why thank you, Mince, for offering to purchase the book for me so that I can read it and collect the money if I disagree with Roger's opinion. It's high time you did something nice for me.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2009, 08:20:38 AM »
I've just spent a week moving Beau Peep. I'm having a holiday first.

Tom

« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2009, 08:22:29 AM »
We're having the whole thing re-enacted next year by the Sealed Knot.
Why thank you, Mince, for offering to purchase the book for me so that I can read it and collect the money if I disagree with Roger's opinion. It's high time you did something nice for me.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Feather

« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2009, 01:05:19 PM »

HCP, Mince.

Malc

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2009, 03:43:27 PM »
I'm sure we've had this conversation before, but I thought the TV adaptation of Lonesome Dove was one of the best things to come out of the US. The characters spoke in McMurty's prose style, much as I believe people in the Old West would have, and the personalities were totally unlike anything I had come across in Western genre storytelling, though probably True Grit came close - good and evil less accentuated, no black or white hat delineation.

McMurtry adapted the screenplay for Brokeback Mountain, by the way.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2009, 08:57:11 PM »
Talking about the way people spoke in the Old West, there was much discussion about how realistic the dialogue was in the "Deadwood" series a few years back. The writers claimed that the excessive swearing was authentic for the period. There was a very funny parody of this on YouTube and, if I can find it again, I'll post it it here but---be warned---if you never saw the series and are offended by strong language, it's not for you.