Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 8163 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2009, 09:00:09 PM »
Hopefully, this is it. I repeat my warning about the language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f31PLcCXD0U

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2009, 09:02:25 PM »
You might like this one, Roger.

Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Feather

« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2009, 12:20:14 AM »
 Being an American, I'm curious what it is you like so much about the Old West, Roger.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2009, 10:14:41 AM »
Feather, most of my generation in the UK grew up on a diet of Western films and T.V. series. It's more difficult to explain my near obsession with the Little Bighorn battle but I remember reading a book about it when I was 10 or 11 and was completely enthralled. That fascination remained with me and, in 1993, I set off to Montana to see the site for myself. It was everything---and more---that I'd hoped for and my "once-in-a-lifetime" trip turned into three more visits. I feel completely at home in Montana and have made some great friends there. Besides the history of the area, the scenery is, in places, breathtaking. When I'm driving around Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota, I'm as happy as a pig in...um...mud.

Feather

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2009, 02:46:10 PM »
Thank you, Roger. I have never been to Montana, but people I know who have say it's beautiful. Your interest mirrors one I have had all my life. That's why I was interested in what you had to say about the Old West.

When I was a child I developed a strong interest in England. I watched British television programs and became fascinated with the medieval, Tudor and Elizabethan periods along with the architecture of castles and cathedrals. My parents could not understand my fascination with Britain because they had never been there, had no interest in it and had no desire to go. They did not watch British television programs on a regular basis either. From the age of 10, though, I was watching MasterpieceTheatre on Sunday nights in my bedroom. The series was on our Public Broadcast Channel and was defintely not mainstream. Masterpiece Theatre ran predominantly British programs - Upstairs Downstairs being my all-time favorite. Most of the other programs/series they ran  were adaptations of British novels or historical events. I loved it!  When I went to university my major was English with an emphasis on British Lit.

It's always nice to see your country - a place you take for granted - reflected in another's eyes, thoughts and feelings.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 02:49:10 PM by Feather »

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2009, 05:13:28 PM »

It's always nice to see your country - a place you take for granted - reflected in another's eyes, thoughts and feelings.

Mince says much the same about Haddocksville.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

peter

« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2009, 11:39:23 PM »
this must be a trick question but i will answer it i am reading this post