Author Topic: Holiday Advice.  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Holiday Advice.
« on: October 02, 2009, 08:45:15 PM »
On the 15th of this month, I will be heading off for a week's holiday in Portugal. This will be my second week off in a year, something I haven't managed since 2002. Because I'm an infrequent traveller to sunnier climes, I could do with some advice from the more seasoned tourists on this site.
Is it okay to wear a deerstalker hat with shorts?
Indeed, is it okay to wear a deerstalker hat WITHOUT shorts?
People working in Portuguese shops tend to give the prices in Euros. Is it okay to say "What's that in REAL money?"
On previous visits to Portugal, I have asked barmen if they know how Dundee United got on and have been met with a blank stare. How do I get these chaps to understand?
Can anyone PLEASE tell me what's wrong with standing on the beach in front of some reasonably attractive young women and shouting "First one to kiss me can have me for the night"?
Can anyone explain why my wife hates going on holiday with me?

Vulture

Re: Holiday Advice.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 08:56:08 PM »
On the 15th of this month, I will be heading off for a week's holiday in Portugal. This will be my second week off in a year, something I haven't managed since 2002. Because I'm an infrequent traveller to sunnier climes, I could do with some advice from the more seasoned tourists on this site.
Is it okay to wear a deerstalker hat with shorts?  errr, why not?
Indeed, is it okay to wear a deerstalker hat WITHOUT shorts? Of course.
People working in Portuguese shops tend to give the prices in Euros. Is it okay to say "What's that in REAL money?" Certainly - what else COULD you say?
On previous visits to Portugal, I have asked barmen if they know how Dundee United got on and have been met with a blank stare. How do I get these chaps to understand?  Shout louder!! I SAID, SHOUT LOUDER!!!!
Can anyone PLEASE tell me what's wrong with standing on the beach in front of some reasonably attractive young women and shouting "First one to kiss me can have me for the night"? Are you sans shorts at this point?
Can anyone explain why my wife hates going on holiday with me? It beats me!

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 09:30:19 PM »
Thanks, Vulch, I knew you'd understand.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 11:15:47 PM »
Portugal sounds nice but I would think that you would have more fun holidaying in Dundee.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 11:46:56 PM »
Nah.
Has it started snowing in Alberta yet, Diane?

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 12:16:06 AM »
There was snow in Red Deer last week but it isn't here to stay yet. It's quite beautiful right now with all the fall colours, frosts in the night.

Are you going to be doing any sightseeing?
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Zesty White

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 09:36:14 PM »
I went to a conference in Lisbon once. The plan was to arrive in my hotel at about 2pm and go down to the square and watch Portugal v England in the World cup quarter final on the big screen. Anyway, due to a travel hiccup I spent 10 hours in Schipol Airport in Amsterdam and watched the match on a very small TV screen with commentary in Dutch.
Sorry it's my only Portugal story...

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 11:26:28 PM »
It snowed today. Not the staying kind.

Joan

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 02:33:52 AM »
One of my cousins lived in Red Deer, Diane - for a number of years, I believe.  She left a few years ago - guess where she lives, now - Las Vegas! I would imagine that's a big contrast.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 03:45:10 AM »
Many Albertans fly down to Vegas - as they have such super cheap deals. They think once you are there you will spend gambling but I know one guy who just went to golf and my sister likes to go and take in shows and shop.

Red Deer is (or was) a nice little city - I worked there for a few years - it is growing too big now, most of the independant little shops have closed and it is the same big box stores as Calgary and Edmonton. I still like to go there mind you.

Colin

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 11:22:21 AM »
I just thought I would share with you all that I'm off to Turkey today for a week.  ;D

Flight is at 7:30pm so I'm sure I'll manage a few drinks before then.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 06:22:21 PM »
Have a great time Colin!  ;D

It is Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada so we will be cooking a turkey.