Beau Peep Notice Board > Outpourings

Triumph and disaster...

(1/4) > >>

Tarquin Thunderthighs lll:
In 40 years of supporting St Johnstone football club, I've never known a cliff-hanger like this afternoon's. Whilst my team can reflect upon a brilliant season of 'nearlies', today having lost the big prize in the final minute of added-on time, my emotions are mixed as I reflect upon perhaps the most remarkable achievement in the history of Scottish football since Celtic became the first British team to lift the European Cup.

Gretna FC have just become members of the Scottish Premier League, at my team's expense. Five years ago they were playing in the Unibond League, and few people knew Gretna for anything other than its nuptial tradition.

Put a tenner on them to win the SPL next year - it'll be the best fun-bet you've ever made.

I'm gutted as a Saints fan.

I'm choked as a football fan.

Well done, Gretna - Kipling couldn't have written better drama (but he does make exceedingly good cakes).

Colin:
Well now you know how I felt when Celtic lost the league 2 seasons ago to 2 Scott MacDonald goals. Wee Bassa that he is  ;D

Roger Kettle:
Apologies to those of you who don't like football---please pass on.
Colin, no, you don't know how Tarks feels. Your idea of pain is to miss out on winning the league for one year.( You follow that up by winning the title for the next two years and beating teams like Manchester United in the Champons League.) You don't experience the horrors of fighting relegation or facing the realisation that the team you've loved all your life might go bust and cease to exist. You don't experience, like Tarks did, the chance of seeing your team return to the top level and see it snatched away in two cruel minutes. Nor have you experienced the joy of seeing your club win a trophy for the first time in 60 years and watched old men cry because they never dreamed it could happen.....PAIN? YOU DON'T KNOW THE MEANING OF THE WORD!!!
Sorry, Col...I started off quite rationally, too.

The Peepmaster:
I follow Wolverhampton Wanderers. 'nuff said.

Malc:
I've been a Celtic and Man Utd fan since I was a kid (since they won the European Cup one year after the other in 67 and 68), but I back up my credibility by saying that I'm from Saltcoats, where Bobby Lennox lives, and that I have lived in both Glasgow and Manchester, unlike many Celtic/Man U fans worldwide.

Man U weren't always the world beaters they are now, by the way, they have been relegated in the past (73-74). Tommy Doc took them down and brought them back up.
Celtic, on the other hand, have always been easy to support. Not since the glory days of Ferguson and McLean with Aberdeen and Dundee Utd have the Old Firm had any consistent and meaningful competition in the SPL.

So when I lived in Irvine, in sympathy with my mate John, I started supporting Kilmarnock. I've probably only been to Rugby Park six or seven times in 20 years (my first being Charlie Nicholas's debut for Celtic) but I still check out their results weekly.

Kilmarnock are a much, MUCH better team to support. They offer the Scottish football fan enough of the misery needed to nourish a Presbyterian psyche, with just enough success to stave off the pangs of despair.

For those who don't follow the Scottish game, Kilmarnock also have an Aussie playing for them, Danny Invincibile (yes, Invincibile) who's from where I live right now, namely Brisbane.

If Kilmarnock start getting too successful, I'm definitely looking at Gretna.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version