Author Topic: Wish me luck ...  (Read 38654 times)

Joan

Re: Wish me luck ...
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2009, 11:34:52 PM »
It is good, isn't it?  I felt quite emotionally drained on Tuesday after I found out - didn't realise how tensed up I was.  I may need chemo, Diane - there were some other types of cells in there which are not easily detected, so they may decide I should have it.  The oncologists will discuss that when I meet them next Wednesday at what they call the multi-disciplinary clinic.  I was just about to make an appointment with the hairdresser, but toh pointed out that maybe I should save my money and wait to see if I'm going to have chemo or not.  :)

Peeps, I just want to let you know that, much as I appreciate your making me laugh (and I did) if you post something in the evening your time, I usually read it while I'm having my breakfast.  Please bear that in mind for posts with icky content.   <-

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2009, 11:39:03 PM »
Just don't eat Coco Pops.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2009, 11:42:07 AM »
Mostly good news from the pathology results.  The two lymph nodes were clear of cancer and they got the whole tumour.  They take a bit of surrounding tissue as well and that was clear.  Some of the cancer cells in the tumour were high grade, so the grade has gone up to Grade 2, which just reinforces my feeling of luck at finding it early.  I find out what the treatment will be next Wednesday, but at the moment it's a tremendous relief that it hasn't spread.

Take care everybody,
Joan

Trrriffic! Good news indeed, Joan - keep it coming.
I apologise, in advance.

Joan

« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2009, 11:19:14 PM »
I know what my treatment is going to be - could get a bit grumpy, now and then, so you'll have to bear with me.  The whole thing is going to take 12 months - this is because my tumour was HER2 positive.  I'm going to have Herceptin because of that and have that intravenously every 3 weeks over 12 months.  Having chemo as well - not because I particularly need it, but because the government won't subsidise the Herceptin unless you have chemo with it, so unless I can come up with upwards of $50,000, I have to have the chemo.

So, chemo first, along with the Herceptin, probably starting end of next week - don't know yet, 6 doses every 3 weeks, then radiotherapy every weekday for 6 weeks, then I'll have another little op for something else and be on hormone supressing drugs for 5 years.  The radiation oncologist told me that in my case, without the radiotherapy, in the next 10 years, there's a 30% risk of recurrence, with the radiotherapy >5%, further reduced by the chemo and Herceptin.  So as my sister says, I just have to grit my teeth and get on with it!

Should be finished the chemo by about May - had already booked a little holiday in the middle of May.  Going to a Contiki staff reunion in Queensland with a couple of girlfriends, which the oncologist said I could fit in, but not sure how I'm going to look/feel.  May be just the ticket, though, and I guess all the other people are going to look different to what they looked like in 1980 too!

I'm just going to do some cleaning while I still can and start getting the decorations out, otherwise it just won't get done.  Luckily, it's cooled down here from last week - we had 41C last Saturday - now we're having 24C and cooler nights, which is all important.  Will come back later and do some reading of the other threads.

Take care, everybody,
Joan
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 10:16:30 AM by Joan »

« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2009, 12:05:16 AM »
Whilst I think this is an admirable attempt to take the sheen of the jammy England team's World Cup draw and Peepsie's gloating, Joan, it does not sound like the good news I asked you to keep on coming, and quite frankly, I'm very disappointed.

So you will grit your teeth, and you will get on with it, and you will get through it all and give those of us who couldn't care less about the forthcoming World Cup something to really cheer about.

:-*
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2009, 12:42:05 AM »
It is good news, because Joan's living in the 21st century when we have experts who take care of problems like this, and cure people. Anyone with such a scare is going to be frightened, - that's natural, - but we live in an age where treatments are available, and do the job.

Joan, I know you probably can't make it to this year's gate-crashing of Roger's Christmas, but we'll save a seat on the bus for future year's. :-)

xx

« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2009, 12:59:31 AM »
Well, thank you, Pollyanna! I was talking about the cleaning - what were you on about?

I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2009, 01:04:08 AM »
It is good news, because Joan's living in the 21st century when we have experts who take care of problems like this, and cure people. Anyone with such a scare is going to be frightened, - that's natural, - but we live in an age where treatments are available, and do the job.

Joan, I know you probably can't make it to this year's gate-crashing of Roger's Christmas, but we'll save a seat on the bus for future year's. :-)

xx

Oh Gawd - I put an apostrophe where it shouldn't have been. Pilch will probably annihilate me.

« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2009, 01:08:20 AM »
No doubt. And for many year's to come.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2009, 02:04:19 AM »
I don’t know how I missed this update Joan – it is going to be a challenge for sure – but I like your odds better with the treatment.

Now just be looking both ways when you cross the road, it would be a shame to hit by a bus when you are cured.

Take care  :-*

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Malc

« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2009, 02:29:47 AM »
Bloody hell, all THAT? You poor cow.
However, it's for the best, and the doctors obviously advocate it. I'm thinking of you, and hope your sense of humour won't be too badly affected as you go through the process. We're going to have you around for even more years, so it's all to the good.

Tom

« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2009, 03:48:11 AM »
Joan, if you want to be grumpy - BE GRUMPY. Hell, be bitchy if it helps.

Leave the doctors to their job... you live your life as you want to live it! Make sure you feel good whenever you can  - it is not as hard as it sounds.

People are miracles not by what happens to them, but by what they do.

Oh, and laugh. Laff. You're OK... you know that!  :)

Vulture

« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2009, 07:33:40 AM »
Joan, if you want to be grumpy - BE GRUMPY. Hell, be bitchy if it helps.

Ah! THAT explains what's wrong with the lads on this board!  ..0

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2009, 09:24:08 AM »
We're all with you, Joan. Pop in here when you feel up to it---you have special dispensation to swear at anything/anyone you like. (I'd go for Mince).

« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2009, 09:38:26 AM »
I've got a sore throat and a bit of a cough this morning. Can I have a small swear at £$%*%$ Mince?
I apologise, in advance.