Author Topic: My sore foot  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

My sore foot
« on: November 18, 2009, 04:44:57 PM »
I seem to have a foot problem that occurs in middle-aged fat people and athletes – I had no ideas I was THAT sporty!

My foot has been killing me for about four weeks now and I was just waiting for it to get better. I just made a doctor’s appointment today – which I have to wait almost three weeks for so have been googling my symptoms;  think I have a bone spur or plantar fasciitis.

I had best not do any dishes in the meantime.

It occured to me that Beau Peep is filled with other midd athletes who may have run into this problem - what helps?
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Online Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: My sore foot
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 04:57:42 PM »
Not looking at medical sites on the Internet will certainly help, Diane.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 05:02:53 PM »
A large bowl of piping hot lentil soup, Diane. (But don't leave your feet in for two long, in case they shrivel.)
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 06:15:38 PM »
Have you checked if there's a stone in your shoe?

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 07:18:42 PM »
I don't have problems with my foot, because it isn't quite that long, even on a good day.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 07:57:55 PM »
huh? Have you been on the whiskey and sprats again Nige?

Thanks for all the concern and advice - don't mind me as I hobble to the kitchen for a cup of coffee. 
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Rob Baker

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 08:21:39 PM »

;D

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 08:22:31 PM »
Aw, I'm sorry, Diane. What's this with the three week wait to see a doctor? I thought the Canadian system was the one Obama was aspiring to?

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 09:06:51 PM »
huh? Have you been on the whiskey and sprats again Nige?

Thanks for all the concern and advice - don't mind me as I hobble to the kitchen for a cup of coffee. 

Whisky, actually. How did you know what I had for tea?

Malc

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 09:24:47 PM »
Diane, it's most likely just plantar fasciitis and you should just ice and rest the area (elevate!). You don't have to have been doing increased exercise or any "sport" at all, it happens to everyone, so just rest the foot as much as poss.

Only an x-ray can confirm bone or heel spurs, but they too can only be treated with rest, ice and anti-inflammatories. Unless the pain becomes chronic over time, that is, in which case surgery sorts it out, but (depending on the site of the spur) it can leave the foot considerably weakened.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 11:30:48 PM »
Thanks Malc but I'm not really fit enough to lift my heel up to the freezer section. Actually that was quite helpful Malc and with you being a soccer coach I trust your advice and am comforted to know it happens to many and gets better.

Yes, Roger the Canadian health care system is a bit of a myth. It doesn't pay for or subsidise medications – so people can eventually see their doctor if they are lucky enough to have one as many are not taking on new clients, but then perhaps not be able to afford the expensive prescriptions. (My daughter recently had a prescription filled that would have cost around $200; my husband’s private insurance through work paid for it – most people do not have health insurance – we pay about $80 a month for that insurance.)

Should you break something, you can get a cheap plaster cast for free – but you have to lay still 24 hours until it sets – you can buy a fibreglass cast out of your own money which sets up instantly which is what I did when my child broke his leg at age 2. Poor people would have to sit on their small child I guess ‘till the cast set or risk having the bone unaligned for life – but not in the hospital - as that would be an outpatients situation.

So yes it is universal and they won’t leave bodies lying around the streets but doctors appointments take 2-3 weeks, operations can take months to years to get in to, but it is “free” and universal – the rich go to the USA for their ops and pleasant bedside manner – the rest of us are universally screwed. 

And yes I do have lots of time to type because I decided that I am going to take a week off my foot - so non of this laundry, dishes and cooking stuff for me.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 11:32:11 PM »

;D

Poor Dennis - I know how he feels.  ;D

Joan

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 11:42:29 PM »

And yes I do have lots of time to type because I decided that I am going to take a week off my foot - so non of this laundry, dishes and cooking stuff for me.

Go for it, Diane!  Keep your pyjamas on all day, I find that has more impact!  Hope the foot's better soon.  I thought our health system was bad, but Canada's sounds pretty frustrating.  Very hard to get anything for free here.