Author Topic: FREE Rice!  (Read 1774 times)

Offline The Peepmaster

FREE Rice!
« on: May 24, 2009, 10:19:57 AM »
I was getting really excited as I was accumulating my pile, and then I read that it's being sent to poor people. I feel cheated.

Anyway - you can sharpen up your vocabulary, geography, grammar etc... FREE RICE.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Vulture

Re: FREE Rice!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 10:46:54 AM »
I was getting really excited as I was accumulating my pile, and then I read that it's being sent to poor people. I feel cheated.

Anyway - you can sharpen up your vocabulary, geography, grammar etc... FREE RICE.

Diane posted this in 2007-ish but I got out of the habit of doing it on a daily basis. I'll put it on my bookmarks toolbar to remind me.  :)

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 10:58:10 AM »
Ah - I'm not surprised, what with Diane being all goodness and light. (Did you know she's got a dog called Malcolm?)

Anyway, it's a fun game with a simple interface. You don't actually get to keep the rice you win, so be warned! (It goes to a good cause anyway.)

Vulture

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 11:05:49 AM »
I've just spent 15 minutes on the site and gained 1000 grains of rice.... it seems a bit pathetic, really. I won't stop going on the site whenever I can remember but how far does 1000 grains of rice go?

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 11:07:36 AM »
how far does 1000 grains of rice go?

Somewhere in India probably.

Joan

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 12:54:45 PM »
I used to do this all the time - forgotten all about it.  Thanks for reminding me, Peeps.  :)

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 01:13:23 PM »
I actually feel sorry for these poor, poor people. Along comes the food aid - "Oh no, not 160 bloody grains of rice again - I was hoping for a kebab."

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 01:14:50 PM »
I've now made this thread sticky. (Sticky rice is popular in the Far East.)

Malc

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 12:05:36 AM »
Rice is seriously misunderstood in the West. For a start, we tend to think it's all the same, whereas it's not. The type of rice which is a staple diet in Cambodia would not be tolerated in Japan, for example, who prefer the Koshihikari type.

We grow rice in Australia for the Japanese market (amongst others), this makes us all rice experts. In Australian pubs rice discussions can turn violent. There are signs on the walls which say "No religion. No Politics. No Rice"

Joan

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 12:15:38 AM »
 ;D I can always rely on you for a morning chuckle, Malc.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 02:35:44 AM »
Well you could for sure be growing rice on your football field this week Malc.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Malc

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 09:03:55 AM »
Still could - fields are squidgy and still have puddles, even a week after the monsoon.

We're playing Mount Gravatt on Friday night. Normally we would thrash them, but I'm concerned this wet spell might have given us a little ankle tap and put us off our rhythm. You can check us out for yourselves, I believe the game is on Setanta.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 03:31:18 PM »
I played this last night and found they now have "change the questions" and you can do geography questions etc.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 03:53:25 PM »
I played this last night and found they now have "change the questions" and you can do geography questions etc.

Let's post it on Facebook, Di-baby!