Author Topic: Where's Roger?  (Read 8979 times)

Offline The Peepmaster

Where's Roger?
« on: November 27, 2009, 03:04:31 PM »
Haven't seen him on here for a couple of days.

Maybe he's working out how to do the new member approval procedures.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Re: Where's Roger?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 03:34:01 PM »
Getting those green letters to scroll across the screen probably tired him out.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 04:43:31 PM »
I don't think he actually did it.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 04:52:02 PM »
He’s probably still out celebrating on the Champaign after getting that You-tube imbedded.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 05:13:35 PM »
Having his team beat Celtic in the same week as he had his YouTube embedded would have been especially joyous for him, I'm sure.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 06:42:10 PM »
Sadly, my absence has been due to the death of an old family friend. She was nearly eighty and, along with her husband, had been part of my life since I was about five. I think the two of them had something like 48 consecutive Christmases with us and, although not blood relatives, they were certainly part of my family. As I've said before on similar occasions, it's not easy to get my brain into gear to write the silly stuff I do for a living but I've managed---there's a kind of automatic pilot that takes over.
And don't feel bad about the light-hearted tone of this thread! She was an absolute gem of a woman with the wickedest sense of humour you can imagine---she'd have loved this!

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 07:07:27 PM »
Really sorry to hear this, Roger. Thoughts and prayers all round.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 08:19:11 PM »
I think the two of them had something like 48 consecutive Christmases with us [...]

She was an absolute gem of a woman with the wickedest sense of humour you can imagine---she'd have loved this!

Then insist that she still come over for Christmas.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 08:25:01 PM »
I wouldn't put it past her. Just around Cointreau time.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 08:28:39 PM »
Why don't you invite all of us lot round for Christmas, Roger. I'm sure your wife likes a surprise on that special day.

Malc

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 10:31:20 PM »
For me that would be twice in two months, and it's big strain on the pocket, not to mention busy schedule, family commitments and.....Look, I can probably manage it, what time is pre-lunch cocktails?

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 02:23:25 AM »
Sorry for your loss Kettle family. It used to be that when people were 80 we said they had had a good innings but now it seems pretty young as I know a few in their 80s who are more fun to be around that younger folk.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Malc

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 11:55:18 AM »
My wife's mother had a massive stroke about ten days after I got back to Oz. She's still in hospital, and you can imagine the state my wife Mel is in. At one stage the whole family were called in as it looked like the end. Mel has a suitcase packed.
Quite poignant for me, as this is the lady who looked after me when I was in the UK, bed, breakfast, tea, telly and a few beers with the dad in-law. She is genuinely like a mother to me, not the stereotypical mother in-law at all.
Point being: She's in her mid eighties, and it wasn't that long ago society would say "ah well, she's had a great innings" and wouldn't expect much more than palliative care before a gentle send-off. Nowadays, (thank goodness) we expect much more, especially from a lady who still gets around her two storey terrace on her own, and cooks and caters for herself.
Roger's friend is even younger, and we have come to be shocked when mere seventy year olds (if fit) suddenly pass on.

When I was visiting my mum for a week or so, I went to see my aunt Margaret in hospital. She was always someone who looked like my own mum, but I did not recognise the little old lady, tiny, almost bald, and about the size of a ten year-old, who inhabited the bed.
Margaret constantly asked of my mother "take me hame, hen", and, probably because of her medication,  thought that I was my own late father.
She was in the ward that you don't go home from, sadly.
When you add all these things together you can celebrate a person like Roger's friend, who led a full life, who lived it well, and whose passing was hopefully quick and relatively painless. Better that than months or years in a vegetative state, dosed up on Morphine and not the person everyone knew and loved.
I can just about play football, and everything still works, though not as efficiently as in my youth. That apart, I'm happier now than I have ever been. I can live without being able to play football again, I accept that I may always live in Australia, and there are a few other pleasures I'm ambivalent about. If nothing else, the Aussies are great company, if a little simple, and I'm in the best climate in the world. If I could no longer write or draw, however, I would like anyone who has the heart to inject me with some wonderful sleep potion and send me off to my next life and leave my seat for the next person on this exciting adventure.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 12:25:38 PM »
Nicely put, Malc.

Vulture

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 04:20:47 PM »
There seems to be a lot of sadness around at the moment. A friend of mine was buried yesterday - the quietest, most gentle man you could ever wish to meet. He was only 72 - nine years older than me - his family are devastated as it was totally unexpected. Matthew, you are sadly missed!