Re: gutter
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007, 09:16:06 PM »
pipe dream

Tom

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007, 09:27:05 PM »
dream holiday!

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 09:28:44 PM »
I apologise, in advance.

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 09:29:42 PM »
dream holiday!

Best sh...sunshine.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2007, 10:50:28 PM »
Since this thread is obviously random...
Tarks, I had a couple of drinks with the Beano editor tonight and he passes on his best wishes. (Note how my D.C. Thomson training  forbids me to name names).
Anyway, Alan Digby passes on his best wishes.

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2007, 11:16:15 PM »
Thanks, Roger, but I assure you my answers are cold, calculated and anything but random.

Next time you see him, do return my own best wishes to Diggers (I won't use his full name), or indeed any of my erstwhile DCT colleagues (it's been a long while since I was erst with any of them).

I take it my name was prompted by a discussion about the SPL teams St Johnstone have given a good drubbing to this season?
I apologise, in advance.

Malc

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007, 01:38:19 AM »
Beano Editor. That's a great job title. I wish I was the Beano editor. Boy, I could cause some shit.

Malc

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007, 01:42:47 AM »
I'm thinking how funny the job title sounds. Sort of imagining myself at a cocktail bar chatting up a sophisticated belle. In my best Sean Connery accent I'd say "Me? I edit the Beano. It'sh a fulthy job but shomeone hash to do it".

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2007, 09:43:53 AM »
Being editor of The Beano is probably one of the world's top jobs. I can hardly think of anything else as prestigious.
"What do you do for a living?"
"I'm the Pope."
That might be one.

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2007, 09:57:24 AM »
I'm thinking how funny the job title sounds. Sort of imagining myself at a cocktail bar chatting up a sophisticated belle. In my best Sean Connery accent I'd say "Me? I edit the Beano. It'sh a fulthy job but shomeone hash to do it".

Surprisingly enough, I did all right with it 30 years ago, Malcolm, as a teenage sub on the Beano (and yes, I was using it as a chat-up line for girls my own age, albeit I was 'a' Beano editor and not 'THE' Beano Editor). Only lasted 18 months though before I was moved onto a new project, and telling the ladies you worked for 'Nutty' didn't quite have the same pulling power. Mind you, it could have been worse - we originally wanted to call the new comic 'Bananas'...
I apologise, in advance.

Malc

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2007, 01:40:42 AM »
"What do you do for a living?"
"I'm the Pope."

Sometimes when people ask me how I come up with ideas, I don't know how best to answer because they arrive from all directions. Roger has just demonstrated one.

His quote immediately made me think of the pope sitting in a wine bar, with his Il Papa white cassock and his little white skull cap talking to a "burrd".
She's simply saying "..and what do YOU do"?

You could gild the lily and have him in complete robes with Archbishop's mitre on his head, but the original will suffice, I reckon.

Hey, here's an idea: Why don't we all draw that gag and send it to Private Eye at the same time?

Colin

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2007, 08:16:42 AM »
I can't draw  :-\

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2007, 10:21:00 AM »
10% please, Mr McGookin.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2007, 10:50:25 AM »
I was thinking that after we had a thread about common theme cartoons in Private Eye, on the cartoonist board, Malc.

Wouldn't it puzzle Hislop if he suddenly received a host of cartoons from a variety of cartoonists, all on a completely new theme - and he didn't understand why!
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟