Author Topic: Has Roger Kettle Achieved Immortality?  (Read 1017 times)

Malc

Has Roger Kettle Achieved Immortality?
« on: December 23, 2009, 11:30:31 AM »
I like reading books of quotes, which is just as well, because people keep giving me them as presents.
Nothing better than a dose of Samuel Johnson or Mark Twain or PG Wodehouse, etc, all of whom are in this latest tome, as well as, Stephen Fry, Pushkin, P.J. O'Rourke, Dawn French, Ogden Nash, Mel Brooks, Dylan Moran, Les Dawson and a couple of cartoonists like Sipress, all of whom are credited under their own names, (Bill Watterson, for instance) rather than the names of the strips they pen.

I then came across this gem labelled "Andy Capp". Was it written by our own R. Kettle or does it hail from the days of Reg Smythe? I await the answer with baited breath....

"Flo went over to her sister's yesterday. I hate having to get my own meals. All that looking through Yellow Pages, dialling and opening doors for delivery boys"

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: Has Roger Kettle Achieved Immortality?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 11:58:03 AM »
I smell Roger in that. Lovely!
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 02:33:53 PM »
Yes, I wrote that. Gosh.

Malc

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 03:34:33 PM »
It's in a book called "Grumpy Old Wit" by Rosemarie Jarski, and it has quotations by Disraeli, Gladstone, Edina Monsoon and Patsy (Absolutely Fabulous), W.C. Fields, Brian Clough, Joan Rivers, Clive James and many more.

I haven't even got to the end yet, there may be more Kettle gems! (Pity you're not credited by name).

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 06:47:42 PM »
I must admit I'm really chuffed about this. I don't mind not being credited as Andy Capp is not my creation and should, rightly, always be associated with Reg Smythe. It's just nice to appear beside those other names. Had it been a Beau or Horace quote, I might have been more upset but this'll do me fine. At least, I know it was me!