Beau Peep Notice Board > Outpourings

Moderated Board

(1/5) > >>

Mince:
I have just permanently left an EzBoard message board owing to the fact that the admins there are moderating the place to death. I am glad that no moderating is necessary here, though this is probably due to two reasons: (1) there are not enough people here to cause a problem; (2) people would tell me to *^%@$ off if I gave someone a warning.

For example, a search on this board reveals that the word "penis" has been used twice so far (three times now), once by Peepmaster and once by Tarquin, and in both cases the humour justified the use. I used the word humorously some time ago on the board I just left and was banned for a month. I was miffed because in my opinion I am very rarely vulgar and a euphemism would not have worked. Oh well.

I left in the end because another adversary (yes, I do seem to be good at making them) exploded at me because he thought I was suggesting that he could not make friends outside message boards, which was not my intended meaning. Anyway, I apologised, waited until the whole thing blew over, and then for fun exploded at him over some inadvertent remark he made, but my explosion was a satire of his. The admins did not realise it was a satire and sent me a warning. Oh well.

Colin:
What words are we not allowed to use then?  ;D

Mince:
I am sure Roger will tell us.

One episode of A Bit and Fry and Laurie had made-up swear words - "cucking", "shoat" and "pimhole" amongst them. I changed my signature to "Everyone here is a complete cucking shoat." The admins told me to change it.

Malc:
About five years ago I was banned from the Guardian Talk site after some cow (after calling me a c**t on the site) complained that I was rude to her!

She had been boasting that as an independent-minded woman she'd slept with dozens of blokes before settling down with her partner who she was going to marry that weekend, and I had said that an independent observer might regard her less an independent-minded woman and more an outright slapper.

After I was banned from posting I could still read the site and saw the subsequent debate continue without me. I had considerable support from the remaining posters who castigated the cow for her actions saying that she was in fact the rudest and most abusive person in the discussion.
She was part of a small, London-based clique who knew each other off the board and sort of dominated the discussions, mostly by not responding to outsiders, and at the same time diverting all topics to discussions about themselves.
They were all lazy office-workers who apparently worked in the public sector and only posted during work hours on work computers. They all signed off at the same time with messages to meet up later in various pubs.

The practice on the Guardian site was apparently that the first person to complain to the mods gets their opponent banned, and the cow had made a habit of doing this in the past. In fact there was much comment on the practice of "racing" to the mods to be first in.

The moderators offered no appeal nor did they go and see the thread in question, they simply banned whoever was complained about instantly, and they were EVERYwhere, banning left right and centre, mostly for deviating from their self-appointed moral compass.
Basically, I got the feeling from these twonks that taking drugs was rife, almost compulsory, as was sleeping around (if the stories were to be believed) yet the personalities were oddly right wing and more than a little racist.

I managed to  get onto Guardian Talk again about three years ago and saw the same usernames still operating, and I got the impression of a distinct lack of numbers. It's a surprisingly small site, considering the size of the paper.

I'll never be back.

Mince:

--- Quote from: Malc on May 07, 2007, 05:20:23 PM ---After I was banned from posting I could still read the site and saw the subsequent debate continue without me. The moderators offered no appeal nor did they go and see the thread in question, they simply banned whoever was complained about instantly, and they were EVERYwhere, banning left right and centre, mostly for deviating from their self-appointed moral compass.
--- End quote ---

The admins on the board I left were nowhere near this bad.

There was one poster whose every sentence and topic title began and ended with .... So I said in one of his topics: Do me a favour and just go for a month without using a "...". The next thing I knew I had a warning in my inbox.

I was often accused of annoying people for the sake of it. To be honest, they are right, but I do it just for fun. I have been annoying Tarquin since he started posting here. I don't know why. But he gives as good as he gets. I don't think I have ever truly annoyed him.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version