Author Topic: I Want To Be Called McGookin.  (Read 3790 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
I Want To Be Called McGookin.
« on: May 09, 2007, 08:31:21 PM »
There's something wonderfully threatening about the name McGookin.
"Mad Malc McGookin". " Don't mess with the McGookins".
If you say "Don't mess with the Kettles", it sounds like a public information film from the Electricity Board.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Re: I Want To Be Called McGookin.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 09:13:31 PM »
My students all tried out their names in the online anagram generator, and every one came up with something fun or insightful, except for one girl whose name turned out to be an anagram of "Minor Headache".

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 09:15:40 PM »
An anagram of "Roger Kettle" is "GET TREK ROLE". Clearly he wants to be Captain Kirk.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 09:20:32 PM »
Peepmaster, there are some truly wonderful anagrams of your name (which I won't post since you have not made your name public here).

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 09:50:56 PM »
Nobody messes with a Thunderthighs...sadly.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 10:20:54 PM »
I used to do an anagram feature, with a limerick and accompanying cartoon (drawn by Geoff Tristram) for Striker, the football comic, until it folded. I had anagram software that created the puzzles. It was good fun and brought in some income.

Here they are without the limerick clues. Each one is a football club from either England, Wales or Scotland. http://www.nigelsutherland.co.uk/footagramsweb/footagramsweb.html
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Malc

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 10:34:15 PM »
I always hated the name McGookin as a kid, I don't particularly know why. My lads wear their name with pride on the backs of their football shirts, but they're different from me, thank god.

I have had the great honour and privilege of having two authors name characters after me. One is Valerie Parv, Australia's answer to Barbara Cartland who used the name for one of her characters in her book "Booties And The Beast" (I'm not making this up. She sent me a copy with the passages marked.)

The other is my buddy Wiley Miller in the States, who introduced Professor Angus McGookin to his reading public in his strip Non Sequitur, and later in his book The Adventures Of Ordinary Basil.

I wish I could meet my old primary teacher Mister Rushby who said I'd never amount to anything.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 03:14:42 PM »
On the other hand nobody would expect a Kettle to get up to any funny business such as holding up stagecoaches or trains?but well a McGookin would be the prime suspect, especially in a Dan Brown novel.

Now that I am back to sitting in my van for hours on end for swim club and soccer ? I like to keep a few paperbacks on the dash (and a packet of digestive biscuits in case of emergencies) ? oh, yes?the point. The funny thing about Dan Brown is you can pretty much tell who the villains and the heroes are by the names he gives them ? I wonder if he does it on purpose to amuse himself.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Colin

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 03:29:57 PM »
On the other hand nobody would expect a Kettle to get up to any funny business such as holding up stagecoaches or trains?but well a McGookin would be the prime suspect, especially in a Dan Brown novel.

Now that I am back to sitting in my van for hours on end for swim club and soccer ? I like to keep a few paperbacks on the dash (and a packet of digestive biscuits in case of emergencies) ? oh, yes?the point. The funny thing about Dan Brown is you can pretty much tell who the villains and the heroes are by the names he gives them ? I wonder if he does it on purpose to amuse himself.

No Diane, its football, football, not soccer.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 04:03:17 PM »
I know for a fact it is soccer Colin. Just before my kids teams get the field for soccer there is a football game ? they wear the big shiny outfits with shoulder padding that makes them look like apes and they wear what appears to be a fire grate to protect their faces and black out under their eyes ? they look like a bunch of apes fighting over a squished banana ? a very tough group of young ladies indeed. I sure wouldn?t want to accidentally sign my boys up for that team by mixing the two up.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Colin

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 05:43:59 PM »
a very tough group of young ladies indeed.

;D ;D