Author Topic: Phobias  (Read 1133 times)

Tom

Phobias
« on: March 30, 2010, 08:29:10 PM »
Now, I know phobias are not things to be made fun of, especially if you are suffering from the phobia, but I have just been doing some research into phobias, as you do. I have come across these phobias, which made me chuckle (but not make fun of):

Luposlipaphobia - fear of being pursued by timber wolves around a kitchen table while wearing socks on a newly waxed floor

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia – fear of long words

Anatidaephobia – fear of being watched by a duck (love this one!  ;D )

Taphophobia – fear of the grave, or fear of being placed in a grave while still alive

Tomophobia  :o – fear or anxiety of surgeries/surgical operations -- Not fear of me!

Nomophobia – fear of being out of mobile phone contact

Paraskavedekatriaphobia, Paraskevidekatriaphobia, or Friggatriskaidekaphobia – fear of Friday the 13th

I've got a feeling some of them may not actually be real fears. But that has got me thinking. If you could name a phobia for something unusual, what would you name it? And what is it the fear of?

I've come up with Qwertyuiophobia - the fear of learning the alphabet in a different order!  ..0 I'm sure you can come up with something better!  ;D

Malc

Re: Phobias
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 12:19:24 AM »
I loved the Luposlipophobia one.

My phobia (genuine) is waiting for buses in a strange town. It's allied to my phobia of not knowing which floor I'm on, when late for a meeting in a tall building.

Tom

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 12:51:43 AM »
Malc, is it a long-standing phobia... ?  ;D

Jack

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 12:53:31 AM »
I learned "triskaidekaphobia" from the back of Beau Peep Book 13.

True story.

And people say that Beau Peep isn't educational...

Tom

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 01:03:19 AM »
I learned "triskaidekaphobia" from the back of Beau Peep Book 13.

True story.

And people say that Beau Peep isn't educational...

Did you read it on a Frigga?