Author Topic: I almost have high speed!  (Read 4534 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: I almost have high speed!
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 02:13:07 AM »
The word of You Tube is a wonderful place.  :)

Sure is, but watch out for those people who think it is funny to hide a virus in their offerings! That was how my laptop spent several days in intensive care.

Is there anyway to run them through your internet security before you view them?
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 02:14:36 AM »
Now you can look back on some of the older threads with video clips that you could not see before - that is, if you have the time.

I dunno - the one ROger tried to post this week was a bit awful. Are there any that stand out as worth watching? THat would be at least 8/10 on an funny scale.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Jerry Attrick

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 06:41:57 PM »

Sure is, but watch out for those people who think it is funny to hide a virus in their offerings! That was how my laptop spent several days in intensive care.

Is there anyway to run them through your internet security before you view them?

Your Virus Checker/Firewall should automatically check them, but evidently I had missed a vital update (don't know why!)so in my case it slipped through.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 08:30:33 PM »
That is too bad Jerry. Thanks for the head's up anyway. Most of the ones I see are though a TV channel (some have ads before they will play) so they are probably a bit safer. 

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 01:05:26 AM »
Now you can look back on some of the older threads with video clips that you could not see before - that is, if you have the time.

I dunno - the one ROger tried to post this week was a bit awful. Are there any that stand out as worth watching? THat would be at least 8/10 on an funny scale.

Diane.  If you think I'm going to wade my way through all this again, just so you can enjoy the clips we saw over the past few years (I include myself even though I only started in Jan 10 as I was silly enough to go through it all just to find out about you all), think again. [Maybe this will get Mince back to correct my overlong engrish sentence?]

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 09:44:56 PM »
Sad news. My GB per month is so low that I can't afford to use the internet for Netflix movies or You-tubes. I used up my first teir price in three days.

I am currently trying to find out if I can get an unlimited usage plan with a different company (different system using microwaves and buying a router and not as fast) - wish I had done more research as I may be stuck paying to get out of this current plan.

IF I used the internet how I did before when I was on dial-up then I would be saving money and time - but having high speed it is just too tempting to click on those You-tubes and Netflix videos.

rats.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 01:04:27 AM »
Don't bother with the netflix films as that system ( and all download movie systems) are designed for city dwellers with excellent mega-fast broadband and money to burn.  You are better off looking at those free on the telly or hire/buy DVDs.  However, save you broadband for the occasional YouTube excursion.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 02:45:27 AM »
Don't bother with the netflix films as that system ( and all download movie systems) are designed for city dwellers with excellent mega-fast broadband and money to burn.  You are better off looking at those free on the telly or hire/buy DVDs.  However, save you broadband for the occasional YouTube excursion.

I can't see the reply button since I nixed all sound, video, pictures and animation to save my bandwidth. Ironic that I can still see adobe flash adds by the bleeding company that I am tied to for two years. Grrr.

Would 1 GB per second be good enough in your opinion to watch Netflix Bill?

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 08:41:52 AM »
Methinks you have your units of measure somewhat awry there Diane.  1Gb per second is a speed rating (and is that Giga bits or Giga bytes?).  You should be interested in your allowance of bytes (Giga or Mega) per month/week etc.  Seeing as a decent DVD can hold 4.7 Gbytes of data, your speed rating ( if true) would download a movie in about 30 seconds (assuming the rating is Gigabits.  My own broadband is only 2 Megabits (1/500th of your indicated speed.

I have no idea how netflix works.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 02:03:24 PM »
Yes it was 1 megabits for $40 a month and $60 if you want 2 megabits. Both are offered as unlimited usage. Most home plans that I can see have a cap of 75 GB a month but this one is unlimited.

My current one has three teirs 3GB, 5GB, 10 GB all for reasonable rates but then after that it skyrockets in price at $15.50 per one GB (which I could use in one day by myself - add a little girl who has discovered Netflix and two teenage boys home for the summer and we could be in the poor house).  ;D

Vulture

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 03:01:27 PM »
That's expensive. I get 40Gb per month (my average per month is 15Gb) and all my phone calls (including to Toronto) thrown in all for £26 per month

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 06:20:03 PM »
Everything is expensive here - that is why we get a "Northern Resident Deduction" on our taxes.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 06:23:58 PM »
Ironically after moving from dial-up to super speed I have been forced to take out all sound, video, pictures and animation from the webpages I vist. The funny thing was that the adobe flash ads still run - and guess who they were showing? Yes, the same company that is chargingme  1.5 cents per MB.  :D

I really hope that I can get on this unlimitted plan next month - it all depends on location with trees in the way and whatnot.