Author Topic: Sookie Stackhouse for Bilthehut  (Read 14786 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Sookie Stackhouse for Bilthehut
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 08:45:12 PM »
I must admit I've never stumbled across the "vampire/gay" theory before and I await a barrage of suitable puns.
Oh, all right, I'll start. Does Dracula wear a Nosfera-tutu?

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 11:05:46 PM »
I'm not worried about reading too much into the issues. They are just good stories and characters. I do hope they try and include the weres in True Blood.  I am disappointed that they have the character that poison clawed Sookie taking up a lot of the second series, when the weres could be in it.   
Alcide had 'shunned' Debbie after realising her hold and manipulation of him. I think Charlaine did that part well. I can't wait for Eric to get hexed.
The episode of True Blood just aired here had the Dallas nest bombed by the Soldiers of the Sun. And Eric's maker just met the sun.

Feather

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 12:15:50 AM »
I guess, Bill, that I see things happening in America that are reflected in the books.

From what I understand, the maened plays a bigger role in the series than she did in the book "Living Dead in Dallas." 

Alcide abjured Debbie. What I thought was great was how the Werewolves of Shreveport  chose their "Packmaster.  And I love "Fangtasia!"  Harris really has a great imagination. She has put a lot of thought into these books.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 12:18:09 AM by Feather »

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 03:05:29 PM »
I guess, Bill, that I see things happening in America that are reflected in the books. 

We have similar issues over here, but I don't try to over-analyse at 11pm when reading in bed (about the only chance I get to read a book)

[/color]
From what I understand, the maened plays a bigger role in the series than she did in the book "Living Dead in Dallas." 

You're not kidding!  The whole second season has the maened storyline, having introduced her toward the end of season 1.  I don't remember much of her/it in the book, other than when she/it attacked Sookie.

Alcide abjured Debbie. What I thought was great was how the Werewolves of Shreveport  chose their "Packmaster.  And I love "Fangtasia!"  Harris really has a great imagination. She has put a lot of thought into these books.

I knew it wasn't 'shunned', but late at night and using the iphone to read the posts, I could not remember the word.
It would be interesting to see how they would film the Packmaster challenge, especially the climax!

'Grave Sight' is getting quite interesting.

Feather

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 04:42:02 PM »
We have similar issues over here, but I don't try to over-analyse at 11pm when reading in bed (about the only chance I get to read a book)

Hey, I've got a degree in English lit, so I am used to analyzing what I read sometimes. ; )

You're not kidding!  The whole second season has the maened storyline, having introduced her toward the end of season 1.  I don't remember much of her/it in the book, other than when she/it attacked Sookie.

About the maenad: Basically, she was the creature in the woods who wandered around the world and was aroused by debauchery. She wanted Eric to pay tribute to her presence in his area and sent the message by those poison claw marks on Sookie's back. (The healing was certainly interesting.) I really was not sure how the maenad killed the orgy-goers except that she seemed to drive them mad and that is why Eric and Bill pressed Sookie between them. Didn't the maenad also have a fling with Sam? That seemed pretty strange.

It would be interesting to see how they would film the Packmaster challenge, especially the climax!

Ooooh, the Packmaster challenges would be great filmed.

Do you think the creative license that is pretty evident in True Blood makes the series better than the books? From what I have seen via the clips and from what I have read about the series, I think I would not enjoy the series so much.

'Grave Sight' is getting quite interesting.

I will have to get Grave Sight.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 06:39:22 PM »
Who else thinks it’s a bit rude of Feather and Bill to talk about a book when we are in the midst of a discussion about the homo-erotic nature of vampires?
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Online Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 07:58:07 PM »
It's all way too highbrow for me, all these books and stuff. I remember when we sued to post funny things.  :(
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 08:41:01 PM »
It's pretty funny that I'm a soccer coach and have to pay a vet to breed my dogs. Gives me a laugh anyway.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Vulture

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 08:42:45 PM »
It's all way too highbrow for me, all these books and stuff. I remember when we sued to post funny things.  :(

Who did you sue?

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 10:16:07 PM »
Hey, I've got a degree in English lit, so I am used to analyzing what I read sometimes. ; )
Is that English Literature or American Literature?  Is there a difference (other than in spelling)?  I is thick, cos I don't have a degree.
About the maenad: Basically, she was the creature in the woods who wandered around the world and was aroused by debauchery. She wanted Eric to pay tribute to her presence in his area and sent the message by those poison claw marks on Sookie's back. (The healing was certainly interesting.) I really was not sure how the maenad killed the orgy-goers except that she seemed to drive them mad and that is why Eric and Bill pressed Sookie between them. Didn't the maenad also have a fling with Sam? That seemed pretty strange.
The series has her taking Tara under her wing, getting everyone into lustful orgies, excessive drinking and eating, etc, etc.  She knew Sam when he was a kid, and is now trying to sacrifice him.  The last thing episode had Sam escape from the jail by becoming a fly, and the maenad going into Merlotte's and demanding everyone find him and bring him to her.  They were all under her spell, black eyes and all.
Read http://www.hbo.com/true-blood/index.html#/true-blood/episodes/2/21-i-will-rise-up/synopsis.html
Do you think the creative license that is pretty evident in True Blood makes the series better than the books? From what I have seen via the clips and from what I have read about the series, I think I would not enjoy the series so much.
I think they are dragging the storyline out and have added new bits (Tara is completely different than in the books).  However the imagery relates well to the books.
I will have to get Grave Sight.
Just finished it and starting on the second one tonight.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 10:24:42 PM by Bilthehut »

Feather

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 11:37:32 PM »
I specialized in English literature, Bill.

Wow, the show's writers are really padding and re-inventing the stories. I noticed from some clips that Sookie's brother has a prominent role in the series. He was a minor character in the novels until he became a panther-man. Tara was also a minor character.   They are only in book 2 and the series has been on for two years?  I can't imagine the series lasting more than four years. There are 10 books, not counting the short stories.  At the rate the television series is moving they will never get through everything.  I'm guessing they are upping the sex and violence  for the audience.

Speaking of Sam, I loved the scene in the first book (I think) where Sookie discovered Sam was a shape-shifter. I mean go to bed with a collie on the floor next to you and wake up with a naked man  beside you was priceless.  After that, and knowing he can turn into a lion, I can't see him turning into a fly - that's just silly.

I could not get anything but a black page from the link you posted.

When I start reading Grave Sight we can discuss that series.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 11:41:37 PM by Feather »

Jack

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2010, 12:55:06 AM »
As someone who worked on Duckula (as an animator) I didn't even think of it as a vampire thing.

You worked on Duckula?

I am starstruck. Apologies to Mr. Kettle, but you may have just surpassed him as the #1 Awe-Inspiring Celebrity on the site, in my eyes.

Hell, I'm not even annoyed at constantly losing to you on the quiz anymore. You know why? Because you worked on bloody Duckula, that's why.

Jack

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 01:01:59 AM »
Just following up my last post, I have to say, this place is terribly bad for a person's self esteem. You've got:

- Roger, who writes the Internationally Renowned comic strip that brought us all here in the first place.

- Malc, who I'm pretty sure has at some point worked on a whole bunch of stuff I've always liked.

- Tarks has also done a whole bunch of stuff, some of which I've probably liked without even realising who was responsible for it.

- The Peepmaster's had work published, and I'm sure someone bought it.

- Bilthehut was in Indiana Jones. I think. Someone here was, and I think it was him.

- Diane, who seems to do upwards of a million different activities, and be brilliant at all of them.

I wouldn't be at all surprised at this point if Tom were to reveal he's actually Tom Selleck, star of Magnum P.I.

Well, one day I'll do something remarkable... maybe become Emperor of Earth, or something. That'll show ya.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 08:25:47 AM »
- The Peepmaster's had work published, and I'm sure someone bought it.

Don't forget, he sells Beau Peep stuff, especially mugs

Was that the right thing to say, Peeps?

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2010, 08:59:51 AM »
Wow, the show's writers are really padding and re-inventing the stories.
They are missing out some minor bits, but keeping to the main storyline.
I noticed from some clips that Sookie's brother has a prominent role in the series. He was a minor character in the novels until he became a panther-man. Tara was also a minor character.   They are only in book 2 and the series has been on for two years?  I can't imagine the series lasting more than four years.
There's enough material for at lease 5 series, even if they double up the books, but it would be difficult to stretch it to one book a series (year).  The books have only spanned a few years (2-3) so far.
There are 10 books, not counting the short stories.  At the rate the television series is moving they will never get through everything. 
I presume you mean the 10th one being released in June.
Series 1 concentrated on Book 1.
Series 2 is, so far, based on Living Dead in Dallas.  Lafayette is still alive (someone else was dead in Andy's car - killed as sacrifice (heart extracted) by the Maenad).  Just scanning through the book, series 2 seems to span its timeline.
It will be interesting if Bill does get dumped by Sookie in the series (but will Stephen Moyer have married Anna Paquin by then?)
I'm guessing they are upping the sex and violence  for the audience.
OHH YEAHH! (in a deep Barry White/Earl Jones type voice)
Speaking of Sam, I loved the scene in the first book (I think) where Sookie discovered Sam was a shape-shifter. I mean go to bed with a collie on the floor next to you and wake up with a naked man  beside you was priceless.  After that, and knowing he can turn into a lion, I can't see him turning into a fly - that's just silly.
The scene was in the series, and well done too (true to the book).  I can't remember (senility kicking in again) what else he's been, but he was a collie for the whole of series 1.  He does have to see a creature to get the idea for changing, but I presume, once tried, he can do it anytime.  I do agree that the fly was an issue for me - where has the mass gone - probably to fairyland (this might get an interesting response - or not!).
I could not get anything but a black page from the link you posted.
It works for me but try www.hbo.com/true-blood .  It might take a while to build the page as it is predominantly black.
When I start reading Grave Sight we can discuss that series.
Waiting out ...