Author Topic: Sookie Stackhouse for Bilthehut  (Read 14985 times)

Offline The Peepmaster

Re: Sookie Stackhouse for Bilthehut
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2010, 11:49:53 PM »
 ..0 There's always someone who has to debase the conversation...
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Feather

« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2010, 01:37:04 AM »
Started the first Sookie book again and reached the part where Bill (not me - I'm not a Vampire) went all the way with Sookie.

I now realise that Sookie's cousin Hadley is mentioned in this book as well as her bad uncle.

Anyone else read the series, other than Feather or myself?  Or do you have another series of books you might recommend to the BP community?

I remember the "funny uncle" was mentioned in the first book, but not Hadley.

I read the Dirk Pitt series by Clive Cussler. I also read the Archy McNally series by Lawrence Sanders. I have been told by someone here who shall remain nameless that the Americanisms and references in the latter series don't translate well to a British reader.

Feather

« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2010, 01:48:34 AM »
Bill, do you think the Sookie Stackhouse novels consist of very descriptive violence?

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2010, 07:30:55 AM »
Oh yeah, and not just descriptive of violence.

Still on the first book again and Sookie has just identified the thief at Fangtasia, and got covered in vampire goo.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 06:28:37 PM by Bilthehut »

Fyodor

« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2010, 10:07:19 AM »
I'm confused. Which one's the shirtlifter again. Is it Sam?

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2010, 06:28:07 PM »
Sam's the Shapeshifter.  Lafayette is the effeminate one - who is a significant character in the TV series, but is only a minor character in the book.

Nice to see someone ask a pertinent question - on topic  ;)

Feather

« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2010, 02:17:34 PM »
Oh yeah, and not just descriptive of violence.

Still on the first book again and Sookie has just identified the thief at Fangtasia, and got covered in vampire goo.

I thought the first, second and ninth book were the most descriptive of violence, with Book number 9 being the most violent - Crystal's death and Sookie's torture. That stuff almost turned my stomach.

The other series of books I enjoy and can read over and over again are Sophie Kinsella's "Shopaholic" novels. I also like her other books.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2010, 04:32:59 PM »
The other series of books I enjoy and can read over and over again are Sophie Kinsella's "Shopaholic" novels.
I'm not sure they would be my kind of books.  I'm really into SF, especially Heinlein, Asimov.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2010, 11:57:55 PM »
Has anyone read the Aurora Teagarden books by Charlaine Harris?  If so, what are they like?

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2010, 06:39:03 PM »
Has anyone read the Aurora Teagarden books by Charlaine Harris?  If so, what are they like?

I'm sure someone must have or it would have been a hell of a waste of time printing the tomes.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Feather

« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2010, 02:27:38 AM »

Did you read all the Harper (I forget the last name) novels?  There's the Shakespeare series by Charlaine Harris. Lily Bard made an appearance in one of the Sookie novels. I thought that was clever.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2010, 07:00:00 AM »
Yup! Read all four Connelly books. What's the Shakespeare series like, and about?  Don't recall Lily Bard. 
Am now getting toward the end of Book 1 for Sookie.  Bubba has made his first appearance, but I doubt the 'True Blood' producers will have the courage to use his character in the series.

Feather

« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2010, 02:47:33 PM »
I haven't read the Shakespeare series, but I read about it. It was pre-Sookie.   Lily Bard from the Shakespeare series appeared as one of the private investigators the Pelts hired to investigate Debbie's death. Lily Bard and her husband talked to Sookie at her house.

"Bubba" fans might get upset to see him on "True Blood" but I loved the concept in the stories.

Feather

« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2010, 03:30:41 PM »
Bill, I thought of another series you might like: Lilian Jackson Braun's "Cat Who..." series.  It's a light, fun mystery series. The last several novels in this series of something like 20 + are not so great, but that is most likely because the author is now in her 90's, if she is even still living, and the last three or four novels were either her rough drafts or were written by a very poor ghostwriter.

Vulture

« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2010, 03:42:15 PM »
Bill, I thought of another series you might like: Lilian Jackson Braun's "Cat Who..." series.  It's a light, fun mystery series. The last several novels in this series of something like 20 + are not so great, but that is most likely because the author is now in her 90's, if she is even still living, and the last three or four novels were either her rough drafts or were written by a very poor ghostwriter.

I have to agree with you, Feather. As a little light reading, these books aren't bad.