Author Topic: Soccer woes  (Read 7552 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

Soccer woes
« on: June 11, 2010, 06:37:39 AM »
I had a bad time coaching tonight - it was the first time we have had nice weather but the kids on the other team were little shits - arguing, pushing, telling me to shut up with me "ole, ole" loudspeaker... calling me a lesbian (I was wearing a cowboy hat). Their coach apologised for their behaviour but they wouldn't listen to her either.

So I called the game.

The kids on my team too were getting heated and vocal. Our club motto is "Friendship, Fun, Fairplay" - but they had a very different "F" word in mind.

I had a talk with my team and they agreed with the decision. One kid from the other side came and told me off for not doing the handshake walk at the end if it was about sportsmanship. I said that would make me a hypocrite because I was still mad at his team. Two games left and not playing that team again.

I don't want to go back. I am embarrassed that I don't have the skills to have kept the game going and changed the behaviour...and that they were talking about me at the Co-op when I stopped in there on the way home. And yes I did in fact tell the other coach that her team were a bunch of "little shits" in front of their parents.

What should I do Malc?

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Vulture

Re: Soccer woes
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 07:00:42 AM »
Diane, I know I'm not Malc, and I know absolutely nothing about any team games, but I think you made the right decision. If the parents and the coach of the other team think that their children's behaviour is/was acceptable, then 'pulling the plug' was the only way you could go.

If no other team will play with them, then they'll get the message or, at the very least, all the little shits can be teamed up with each other!

(My first instinct is for hands to meet backs of legs but that would bring you down to their level!)

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 07:19:10 AM »
Hi Vultch - the other coach was not happy about how they were acting but she too (like me) isn't very sporty. They are the oldest kids in the club some of them are 18.

I have been having a good time with my kids up to now - the only time we had to versus this team - only about half the kids showed up that night because of the weather so they played WITH our team against the other two teams.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Vulture

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 07:31:47 AM »
I'd still put them on the black list so you don't ever have to expose your kids to that sort of behaviour.

They did know the rudiments of good sportsmanship (complaining about not doing the handshake...) but they also should know that they can't just pick the bits they like and **ck to the rest of it!

Diamond Lil

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 07:40:21 AM »
I know I'm not Malc, either, but I applaud you for having the strength to finish that game.  These are not kids if you say some of them are 18 and someone has to start letting them know this is not acceptable behaviour.  I know you can argue that should have started at home when they were 2 but any responsible adult coming into contact with them now, in a coaching position, has a moral right to do what they can...whether the kids see they have a corresponding responsibilty to react to your decision is a whole other situation!

Sorry what started as a lot of fun/hard work has descended into this

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 08:05:47 AM »
Can I just say that I'm also not Malcolm. Even so, I think you did well to have the courage to stand up to these little shallots and cancel the match, lesbian or not.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Vulture

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 09:11:02 AM »
I think it's O.K. to be a lesbian - but the cowboy hat............. <-

Fyodor

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 10:25:16 AM »
Diane, I am Malc and you done great.

Jack

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 11:41:02 AM »
Add me to the list of people who aren't Malcolm.

lucy

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 03:08:22 PM »

Dianne, obviously I'm  not Malc either , (where is Malc when you need him) if other parents started talking about you, it just means you're becoming some sort of celebrity , ask them if they want your autograph next time ;D

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 03:18:26 PM »
I'm Spartacus.  No I'm not .. and I'm not Malc either.  I know I'm not a coach, but you done good there gal.  It takes guts to stand up for your principles and try to instil some general morals into the younger generation.  Well Done.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 03:48:53 PM »
Thank you for you support on my decision to quit the game early. I do feel better this morning and will do the last two games of the season.  :)

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 04:05:46 PM »
I might have a go at being Malc tonight. (Just need to practice the camp walk and effeminate voice.)
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Tom

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 07:07:25 PM »
Diane - I'm on your side too! You did good. I'm not Malc, either.

Jack

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 07:26:52 PM »
I forgot to add that I support every decision you made except for the cowboy hat.