Author Topic: Soccer woes  (Read 7558 times)

Offline The Peepmaster

Re: Soccer woes
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 07:34:09 PM »
Malcolm wears his cowboy hat at a jaunty angle. I noticed that when he came to Bute.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 07:54:47 PM »
Diane, I think you did exactly the right thing. It's taken me a while to answer because I got confused about lesbians, cowboy hats and the revelation that Malc is a girly.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 08:58:43 PM »
I really do have a cowboy hat (it was sunny) but I'm not a real lesbian. I just refuse to yell that I'm not over the soccer field, as being gay is a human rights issue for me. I'm also not really black or a real Cree Indian, or a Jew or a Muslim.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 09:05:13 PM »
And you're definitely not Malcolm.

Jack

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 09:35:02 PM »
If there's one thing I learned from this topic, it's that not many people here are Malcolm.

Malc

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 10:36:03 PM »
Diane, I am Malc.
Welcome to coaching.

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 10:42:06 PM »
No.  He's Spartacus.

Malc

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 10:46:48 PM »

ok, seriously....
Coaching is often exactly as you describe. You get terrible moments, where you feel that you've lost control, and sometimes you HAVE lost control, the younger the team, the harder it is to maintain equilibrium or any sense of order. Most coaches of senior teams would rather stick needles in their eyes than coach juniors, it can be horrible.

With experience, you can cut out a lot of the crap, but unfortunately that only comes over time. Women will ALWAYS have a harder time than men, because of something called the coach voice. Kids respond better to a hard, booming male voice than the gentler female version. I hate to say that, but it's a fact of life.

Women coaches with experience get by great when they coach other women at a higher level, but with mixed teams, it can be a very intimidating experience. Kids are often little shits, and you're used by parents as babysitter for, or respite care from their horrific offspring.

I suspect that you're actually doing very well considering the circumstances, but coaching is more like juggling soot or trying to plait jelly.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 11:25:30 PM »
Oh, dear!

I too apologise for not being Malc, but also for not quite sharing in the general spirit of the replies in this forum, which I feel are coloured more than a tad by our common love and respect for the CBPFC supremo.

We have a World Cup just started, which, hopefully, will demonstrate over the next few weeks, an extraordinary spirit of sportsmanship, fair play and common decency throughout the length and breadth of every nation participating, and rubbing off on those that aren't. But I doubt that it will, and for very good reasons.

Soccer is nothing if not a game of high passions. I have played and watched the Beautiful Game all of my life, and have experienced too many highs and lows to count over those years. More often than not, those moments have occurred within the bounds of reasonable sportsmanship, although perfect sportsmanship is an extremely rare beast indeed. And often (yes, often), the passion spills over to behaviour that is most certainly not typical of everyday life, and in some cases can be thoroughly reprehensible.

In the extreme cases, it is ugly and deserving of utter condemnation. However, if soccer matches were ever to be scrutinised for, and judged upon the atypical language and aggression aroused through the passions of its players and supporters, and games brought to a premature end every time it was deemed inappropriate, then the game itself would grind to a speedy halt in no time at all, possibly never to be resuscitated. I don't condone abusive behaviour, but context is all here, and there are indeed rules of the game that can and should be enforced to protect against the more extreme behaviour such as violent conduct.

The 'lesser' behaviour (the verbal stuff mostly), though still unpleasant, is, I'm afraid, part and parcel of the game, and will almost certainly never be eradicated. Again, it is punishable through laws of the game, and laws of the land, but although I will not condone the vast majority of it, I see a functionality in much of it (letting off steam in a controlled environment has to be better than in an uncontrolled one), and quite often a high degree of creativity in some of it, that can make you both wince, and roar with laughter simultaneously. It ain't all bad! Sanitised football would be.

On a personal note, Diane, I'd ditch the "Ole, Ole!" along with that loudspeaker, and I believe many of your problems will be solved at a stroke. The hat's fine though. I wear a cowboy hat, and I am even attracted to women - doesn't make me a lesbian, I assure you.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 11:30:09 PM by Tarquin Thunderthighs lll »
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2010, 12:07:45 AM »
Thanks Malc and TTIII

I think if I had it to do all over again and being prepared for such a situation (situation had not come up before) what I should have done was blow the whistle and have all the kids sit in the middle of the field and tell them that they would be getting a few minutes to cool off while I went over the rules - no pushing, no agrguing, no deliberate tripping etc. THen one "last chance" before the game was called.

The trouble last night was that the other coach just stood by her goal the whole time and I was left to go up and down the field (with me sore foot) - no refs, not even any lines painted on the field - all make things impossible to play other than at a FUN level of play with a mixed team of kids from age 12 to 18 (much too big of an age spread in my opinion) - no room for passions and swearing. They are expected to be fair and help monitor themselves for ball outs etc as you can't see if you haven't got to that side of the field and the size difference of the kids in the age spread means you have to play nice if you are older. Most of the time this was what happend this season - it was just last night that the bickering was awful and the general spirit of war over the field.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2010, 10:36:24 AM »

Kids respond better to a hard, booming male voice

Yours did okay though, so you said...

Malc

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2010, 11:28:01 AM »
Very funny, peeps.  >:(

We have a coach at my club who has a very high voice (on the phone he sounds like a girl) and he does shriek instructions during games, much to the amusement of all, but the important thing is that his voice is powerful, so it commands the players' attention.

Diane, your description of the game (the wide age spread and no line markings, etc,) was worrying. I defy ANYone to coach well under those conditions.
In Oz, club football is strictly controlled, age groups progress year by year (Under 11, Under 12, Under 13, etc) until Under 16, then after that it's Youth (16 to 18). Our grounds are maintained by volunteers, but are always mowed and clearly lined to FIFA measurements, plus we have referees and assistants assigned to games.
If, for some reason a ref or officials can't be assigned, parents then step in and adopt those roles.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2010, 10:37:22 PM »
Malc, it was ironic that it was the first nice weather we had had all year that the kids decided to act up. Some in my team were buzzing just doing the drills beforehand.

Malc

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2010, 11:30:47 AM »
I'm the Director of Junior Coaching at a club this year, but as well as those general duties, I am responsible for a particular team. This year it's the U11 Div 1 who are a bunch of monkeys.
I would love to say that as the elite of their age group, they behave in a professional, serious manner, but they don't. They are mostly ten year-olds and act like it. Trying to get serious, professional football concepts over to them is hard, and the training has to be planned before I get to the ground, because if they have more than two minutes to start pushing each other and spraying each other with drinks, whilst I am putting cones down (and I have an assistant!) it all turns to crap.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2010, 05:23:09 PM »
That is actually quite encouraging to hear Malc.

And it's only two games left for me. There is always that too.