Author Topic: I hate...  (Read 4222 times)

Malc

Re: I hate...
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 09:54:03 PM »
I live in the subtropics, and in the summer it is humid. I hate the heat too. Brisbane is, by British standards, a small country town, except for the fact that it has a central buisness district with mini skyscrapers along the river, but if it wasn't for airconditioning it wouldn't even be one of the top five biggest cities in Australia, people just wouldn't cope with the heat and humidity.

As it is, because of the increased affordability and availability of airconditioning, Queensland generally is the boom state of Australia, we can't fight off the incomers (from the rest of Oz) with a sh*tty stick.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 10:37:04 PM »
Anyone else having problems posting here?
Max, good to hear from you again.
I've only experienced 100 degree plus heat a couple of times, once in Boston and once in Montana, and it wasn't pleasant. In Boston, walking from the air-conditioned hotel lobby to the street was like walking into a wall of fire. In Montana, the heat was less oppressive but still difficult to cope with. I remember being in the Little Bighorn valley with a guide who pointed out that this was "good baskin' weather" and to watch out for rattlesnakes. This took my mind off the heat.
All in all, I like Scotland.

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 11:57:02 PM »
It's too hot down here in Dorset too.  There's only so far you can go to take off clothing to cool down - after that it starts getting red and wet and messy and final. At least if it's cold you can always put some thing else on, such as a jumper or central heating.

By the way, I picked up an iPad this weekend and it's so easy to use, especially switching to and around this site.  I highly recommend it to you all.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 12:00:33 AM »
Welcome back Max.  :D

Can you plug a regular keyboard into an iPad Bill?
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Joan

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 01:26:34 AM »
Hello, Max!  Good to see you again.  :)

Well, it's flipping freezing here in the Northern outposts of Sydney at the moment - you'd love it, Vulch!  The temperature at Terrey Hills is apparently 6.5°C and the apparent temp (what you actually feel when you're outside) is 3.4°C.  This is very cold for us.  Hubby said there was ice on our neighbour's car and grass down the road earlier on when he went for a walk.

I don't cope well with the heat and humidity either, but I'm willing to put up with it (with the help of air con) for a couple of months in the year because the rest of the year the climate is so good (most of the time).  I won't be one of those heading north any time soon, Malc - too much humidity for me.

Hubby just went out the door and said "Oh gee!" Mind you, he has shorts on and probably no shoes, silly duffer.

Spring and Autumn are best here - warm days and cooler nights.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 03:36:23 AM by Joan »

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2010, 02:29:43 AM »
?54 °C (?65 °F) in northern Alberta to ?46 °C (?51 °F) in southern Alberta. In the summer, continental air masses produce maximum temperatures from 32 °C (90 °F) in the mountains to 40 °C (104 °F) in southern Alberta.

BUT...it's a dry heat or cold  :D
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Diamond Lil

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2010, 06:40:30 AM »
I well remember a trip to Calgary when it went from winter to spring/summer in a day...luckily my friends had warned me it was about to happen and I went prepared with lots of layered clothing!

Hello Max!  Just out of interest, the boat never did get into the water...so much for an outing for everyone on Loch Tay ..0

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 06:47:01 AM »
Can you plug a regular keyboard into an iPad Bill?
No, but you can wireless dock an Apple keyboard to it.  The screen keyboard is excellent though, so I'm not getting one yet.

Hi, Max.  Nice to hear from you.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 11:47:37 AM »
We had sunshine today - and it was SO HOT! We don't fly to Manila until later tonight, so we went to an "Ocean Park". There were some great areas showing interesting creatures from the deep; a very impressive jellyfish section, and also Pandas, an aviary, plus theme-park style rides (which don't really interest me, but young Joshua likes that kind of thing, like any 14 year old). Chinese screams are just the same as British screams, I can tell you. No language barrier there.

We also watched some dolphins performing. They were quite brilliant. I was impressed, and felt that they were actually "enjoying" the performances they were giving, much like dogs enjoy chasing sticks etc. Previously I would have been very much of a sceptic, fearing animal cruelty. The bond these amazing creatures had with their "trainers" was touching.

Much of the park is quite educational and they emphasise the eco thing. Sturgeon they breed are tagged and returned to the Yangtze to boost numbers. The pandas are well cared for, and I had a nice chat with one of the keepers.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 01:35:03 PM »
I'm a bit worried about them keeping Pandas in a fish tank.

Malc

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2010, 09:59:52 PM »
Pandas are very tough, Roger, and their thick coats protect them from jellyfish stings. You worry too much.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 03:48:44 PM »

Sorry, I forgot to mention the snorkels.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 05:29:40 PM »

Sorry, I forgot to mention the snorkels.
Are they mammals or fish?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 07:43:58 PM by Bilthehut »

Jack

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2010, 06:01:22 PM »
Now that definitely warranted a question mark.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2010, 07:44:26 PM »
Is that better?