Author Topic: The 2010/11 Football Thread  (Read 6353 times)

Jack

The 2010/11 Football Thread
« on: August 07, 2010, 06:05:53 PM »
I thought, rather than having a number of new topics every now and again, as Roger celebrates Dundee Utd's 3-0 win over Celtic, or Tarks celebrates being able to mock Roger as they lose 5-0 to QOTS in the cup... we could just have this one easily-avoidable topic for this season's football.

Of course, one is a number, so we'd still have a number of football topics. Except that number would only be one. Anyway.

I'm not 100% sure who everybody's teams are (please post and let me know), and the SPL didn't play today, so here's a general roundup:

- The EPL didn't play today, because they're a bunch of overpaid wussies who need an extra week's holiday.

- The SPL didn't play today, because there's only a few teams in the division, and they have to drag out the fixture list to fill most of the season anyway - an extra week's holiday isn't a problem.

- The rest of the Scottish league played though, but I'll be damned if I'm going to look closely at their results without knowing in advance if anybody here supports any of those teams. Raith Rovers hammered Partick Thistle though.

- In other Scottish football news, Middlesbrough were embarrassed at home by Ipswich.

- Bristol City were also embarassed at home by newly-promoted thugs Millwall. Never heard of Bristol's new goalkeeper before, but he doesn't seem to be very good.

- After successfully cheating the taxman the other day, Portsmouth were less successful today, losing to Coventry.

- In Australian football news, I don't know if Robbie Fowler is still playing over there.

Today's Results for forum members' teams:

Preston North End 0 - 2 Doncaster Rovers

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: The 2010/11 Football Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 06:23:35 PM »
Excellent idea, Jack. A sort of "Nothing to see here, girls and Mince" thread.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 06:53:57 PM »
Splendid, Jack. You can put me down for Perth St Johnstone FC, with the occasional eye on Liverpool and Leeds United.
I apologise, in advance.

Jack

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 07:02:07 PM »
With those last two words, Tarks, you've just gone down immeasurably in my estimation.

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 08:37:23 PM »
It goes way back to Don Revie's day, Jack - when Leeds United were the best Scottish team in the UK.
I apologise, in advance.

Malc

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 12:29:24 AM »
I'm Man U and Celtic. Not too fussed about being a Celts fan over the last few years as they and Rangers often had the season sewn up by the end of January, it was more of a procession than a football league, but it's started to be like that in the EPL too, as a Battle of the Billionaires.

Therefore I tend to look at Kilmarnock's results at the weekend, they are actually my "local" club (as an Ayrshire boy).

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 12:03:25 AM »
I'm Wolves (and Margate).
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Calvin

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 03:44:29 AM »
It goes way back to Don Revie's day, Jack - when Leeds United were the best Scottish team in the UK.
What? With that odious little red haired git Billy Bremner as captain and their little sock ties with the position numbers on and the gay tassels?
They were the team that everyone outside of Leeds hated as far as I knew.
For all that, I recall some England internationals coming out of that team too.Terry Cooper, Paul Madeley, Paul Reaney,Norman Hunter bites yer legs, (Norman Scott bites yer pillow, a little 70's topical humour there) Sniffer Clarke, Mick Jones.....still hated them though.
Look out for NUFC on their triumphant return to the Premiership.

Malc

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 07:18:48 AM »
My mum always used to say Clarke looked like he belonged to her family. "That young boy's a Gibb" she used to say.

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 07:53:22 AM »
What? With that odious little red haired git Billy Bremner as captain and their little sock ties with the position numbers on and the gay tassels?
They were the team that everyone outside of Leeds hated as far as I knew.
For all that, I recall some England internationals coming out of that team too.Terry Cooper, Paul Madeley, Paul Reaney,Norman Hunter bites yer legs, (Norman Scott bites yer pillow, a little 70's topical humour there) Sniffer Clarke, Mick Jones.....still hated them though.
Look out for NUFC on their triumphant return to the Premiership.

Ah, happy days, Calvin - thanks for that trio down Memory Lane. 'Twas never hatred - it was always envy, and any team that most of England disliked was always going to popular in Scotland, regardless of how many Scots played for them. That Leeds United could boast the red-haired (what's wrong with that?) git, alongside the likes of Frank & Eddie Gray, Joe Jordan, Peter Lorimer, Arthur Graham, David Harvey, and even Gordon (Pretty Boy) McQueen was meerely the icing on the cake.
I apologise, in advance.

Jack

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 10:55:30 PM »
Well, tonight was the first round of the English League Cup and the "Alba Challenge Cup" which I'm assuming is the Scottish League Cup.

Obviously, none of the top division teams played in this round, because the idea of making big teams actually beat other teams is of course ridiculous. Apparently, next year's semi-final winners will each play one of either Man Utd or Chelsea, with the winners of those game going on to the actual final.

Anyhow, a couple of shocks in the Carling Cup, as Notts Forest lost to Bradford, and Barnsley lost to Rochdale. Also, we lost to Accrington Stanley (who are they?). I'm almost glad that they scored the 93rd minute winner, because at the rate we were going, extra time would have seen us lose even more players to injury.

We already had three first team players injured pre-season, then another ended the game on Saturday on crutches, plus another two injured. Plus one suspended because he got sent off on saturday. Plus another missing because he's playing for Wales tomorrow. The bench tonight is full of youth team players.

As if that's not bad enough, another striker stretchered off tonight with what looked like it could be a long-term hamstring injury. And then our 2nd-choice right-back (who was playing in midfield, because we'd run out of midfielders) got stretchered off too.

So yes, we're out of the cup, but mostly I'll be happy if we can still field 11 players this weekend.

Oh, and for the benefit of the misguided Tarks, Scum United won 4-0.

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 12:37:15 AM »
Woohoo!

And don't worry about Rovers, Jack - I'll get me boots...
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 09:27:11 AM »
Quick point, Jack. The Alba Challenge cup is NOT the League Cup up here---it's a bizarre, contrived trophy for teams outside the SPL.

Fyodor

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 09:58:20 AM »
East Stirlingshire (The Shire) for me.
Peter Lorimer used to deliver milk or newspapers to one of my chum's mum or grannie, I think.

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 10:40:46 AM »
Peter Lorimer used to deliver milk or newspapers to one of my chum's mum or grannie, I think.

How sad - you'd have thought he'd have done better out of the game than that.
I apologise, in advance.