Author Topic: My son can run!  (Read 3836 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: My son can run!
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 01:31:20 PM »
Are you still in touch with Margaret, Diane?

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 01:54:58 PM »
I phoned her long distance from Canada once, but her kid said she was tied up right then.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Vulture

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 04:03:28 PM »
I phoned her long distance from Canada once, but her kid said she was tied up right then.

Oh, Roger, you walked right into that one! Nice one, Diane!  ;D

Joan

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 07:33:59 AM »
Oh, God, I needed that! Laughed out loud from the first sentence of the thread. Congrats to Steve, Diane. Has he been to the Provincials yet? Haven't been paying attention.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 03:32:12 PM »
Steve made it to the Provincials - but he, and the whole, zone did very poorly there. He didn't even have any fun which was a shame as the school even got a grant to pay for two hotel nights for the lot of them. 

I thought I was due for a little break from his sport until the end of the school year now - but no - he is now in a "football camp" (American football) for two weeks which means I have to drive to town each day to get him about 6:00 PM each day and then he gets to play a game in the city next weekend.

He has two summer basketball camps to go to as well each a week long. This is a kid who never did ANY sport at all before this school year so it's getting a bit annoying. 
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Malc

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 09:08:03 PM »
It's when you get to those state rep levels you see the real freaks, the future national champions, etc, and it can be daunting.
I was a fast runner at school, not a record-setter, but always the fourth guy in the relay team, that sort of thing. As I was handy over all the distances but not outstanding in any, I was used all the time, whereas the 100 metres champ was confined to the 100 and 200, and the 400 metres champ only did the 400. I only made one championship as of right, and it was mind-blowing. I made the semi finals of a 200 metres because 2 runners were disqualified and I was one of the fastest losers in the quarters. I was so proud to be lining up at that level, but I was last by a country mile. Those guys had been holding back in the heats and absolutely blitzed the semis and final.

I've always admired great athletes and wished I had been one. My son Aidan, (the youngest) is very fast, real champion standard, but he doesn't do athletics, just football (soccer). I've been there on the sidelines when he zips past spectators and often try to convince myself it's the McGookin genes, but my wife's brother was actually a County champ and can produce newspaper clippings stating that he did the 100 metres in 11 seconds. You can't argue with that.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 01:39:12 AM »
The latest is that Mr. Shelly, the High School Physics and Chemisty teacher has publically challenged Steve to a game of chess tomorrow - this can't be good whatever the outcome. 

Steve does some wacky opening moves that put logical, thinking players off their game but I'm sure Shelly will be prepared for that kind of action.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 04:34:42 AM »
Steve won the game against the teacher. Not such a wise idea with finals coming up.

Malc

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 04:14:53 PM »
Now chess - that's a nasty business.
 I once subscribed to an online chess site, never won a game and was even abused by those who beat me. Apparently I was such a waste of time as an opponent I deserved derision.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 06:30:58 PM »
I seem to recall that my sister once overturned a chessboard after being "fool's mated" by her then husband. Maybe she'll elaborate....

Diamond Lil

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 06:55:44 PM »
Think you've about covered it!