Author Topic: Bread.  (Read 3488 times)

Offline The Peepmaster

Bread.
« on: May 31, 2007, 05:43:52 PM »
Who remembers Ma Boswell in the wonderful comedy "Bread"? She had a great put-down for Lilo-Lil, the woman her hubby was "friendly with".

"SHE IS A FLAN!", she used to holler, if my memory serves me correctly. Lots of great characters in that programme - skilfully written by Carla Lane.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Bread.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 06:23:14 PM »
I never got Carla Lane at all. I didn't like "Bread" and I don't remember even smiling at anything she wrote. Sorry, Nige!

Malc

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 03:43:45 PM »
Agree completely. Couldn't stand Bread, sorry. 

You have to know how TV networks operate to realise how Carla Lane got the gig.

She co-wrote The Liver Birds, which was a network producer's desperate attempt to ape the success of The Likely Lads, a series created by Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais in the mid 60s.

Clement was actually a radio producer who was taking part in a BBC trainee TV director's course and wanted a project to direct. None was forthcoming, so he directed a script he had previously co-written with La Frenais, (a bloke he had met in the pub) for a BBC staff group.

So far in this tale we haven't seen the emergence of a single, far-sighted, talent-spotting producer, and I can assure you we won't. They are as rare as rocking horse poo.

Clement produced the series himself.

The Likely Lads was born out of the kitchen sink drama revolution at the time, the taste for "natural" acting in a gritty northern environment was growing, and the new channel BBC2 was going to run with it.

Some five or six years later a bright spark came up with copying the Likely Lads idea, but instead making a series about two independent young women sharing a flat in Liverpool, and The Liver Birds was underway. Carla Lane also had a co-writer, Myra Taylor, and the script editor was Eric Idle. Later she took on the writing by herself.

Roughly ten years later she did "Butterflies" and roughly ten years later she did "Bread". This is because even for writers who have "names" it can take ten years to get another show up, longer if their previous show was as funny as tuberculosis. Carla by this time had achieved legendary status, especially amongst the Pippas and Camillas of the BBC who were delighted that she was a woman's (i.e. unfunny) comedy writer.

Since then, genuinely funny women have come to the fore (Victoria Wood, French and Saunders, the late Jane Smith and more) and even the BBC have realised they don't have to feed women a diet of trite, twee relationship-centred comedy.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 03:50:55 PM »
I was really just trying another avenue for getting Roger to say "Tart". I wasn't mad about Bread, but I have to admit I liked Butterflies. Geoffrey Palmer is a great comedy actor.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 06:23:02 PM »
Fascinating stuff, Malc---thanks for that.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 06:27:03 PM »
I think Malc's fascinating glimpse of BBC TV comedy history is a little unfair to Carla Lane, although her plaudits may have been helped by some inspired casting during the initial series of each of her shows. There were actors taken on who could have made a shopping list into a comedy classic (and occasionally did). Subsequent series, where key actors were replaced after naively demanding more dosh from the BBC, showed up a lot of the cracks, and often they were allowed to live on when they ought to have been humanely put down.  But if her talent (or alleged lack of it) belied her status as a leading comedy writer, then she managed to fool an awful lot of us back then.

I was young, but I recall enjoying Bread and Butterflies (of course, there wasn't so much choice back then), less so the Liver Birds (they scared me), and I don't think I've ever watched any episodes of Solo, despite having the hots for Felicity Kendal in the Good Life years.

I totally agree though that some of the women writers that have followed have been truly outstanding, my own favourite being Victoria Wood, especially with Dinner Ladies which at times came across to me like Alan Bennett on speed. I may be wrong, but I have a vague recollection that Ms Wood was among many who praised the ground-breaking work of Ms Lane in a documentary I saw some years back about the latter. If her success hastened the arrival of, or made it easier for, her female successors, then we can at least be grateful to her for that.
I apologise, in advance.

Malc

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 06:39:02 PM »
We can agree on that, TT. If Carla opened the door for women comedy writers, it's something to celebrate.

My view is that Carla Lane deliberately wrote "women"'s humour, I hardly know of one man who would say they liked Bread, Solo, etc, and by women's humour I mean twee and calculatedly unfunny. She wrote sort of Laura Ashley comedy. I'm sure Carla often thought of wittier lines but turned them down because they were the things blokes would write.

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 06:43:27 PM »
Ah, well - I've always been in touch with my feminine side, even at school. Never bought a duffel bag that didn't match my Doc Martens.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 06:46:54 PM »
As always with these things, Tarks, it all boils down to personal taste. I simply said that I never "got" Carla Lane and never found any of her stuff funny. However, if she genuinely did help pave the way for Victoria Wood, then she deserves some credit.

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 07:03:54 PM »
Absolutely!

(sounds like a good title for a Carla Lane sitcom)
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 07:50:10 PM »
"Absolutely!" was in fact the title of a comedy.

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 07:51:41 PM »
That's terrible - they nicked it from Carla!  :o
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 07:53:12 PM »
Perhaps.