Author Topic: Are you enjoying your summer?  (Read 4437 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: Are you enjoying your summer?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 09:32:21 PM »
I think I spoiled my Summer by starting it off with a glorious family holiday in Portugal. The wonderful weather, combined with the usual cold beers and delicious seafood, didn't prepare me for the dismal drizzle of the following two months back home. I'm not a great sun worshipper by any means, but it would have been nice to have had even a brief spell of warm weather---rather than the one day every two weeks that we've ACTUALLY had.
I've also discovered that cutting my workload by a third hasn't significantly provided me with more free time. Somehow, the remaining two thirds have managed to expand to fit the time available. Ah, well.
Right---I'm off to check out a holiday for October.

How are you deciding? Sticking a pin in a map?

We have the sunny weather now but the leaves are turning already so its not the same as summer - more like pre-autumn.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 11:52:09 PM »
So, you're paying money to take pictures of scantily clad women? Hmmmm... Her Majesty might have something to say about this.
Nope, I just paid 20% for the course - the tax payer has kindly contributed the other 80% - and paid me at the same time.  Only one of the models disrobed, but it is all for the sake of learning to take professional photographs.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 04:07:42 PM »
So, you're paying money to take pictures of scantily clad women? Hmmmm... Her Majesty might have something to say about this.
Nope, I just paid 20% for the course - the tax payer has kindly contributed the other 80% - and paid me at the same time.  Only one of the models disrobed, but it is all for the sake of learning to take professional photographs.

You can be quite the smutty boy Dennis.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Bog

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 05:23:46 PM »
Mince,

Sorry but I have been absent for a wee while, yes I am a Hancock fan, just love that miserable face and 50's wit.
Just got a complete set on DVD for my holidays!

a member of THAS too, now that is a sad little gang, the Tony Hancock Appreciation Society.

are you a fan, or am I alone here?

Bog

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 09:54:16 AM »
Yes, quite like the radio series. I'm not a member of the appreciation society, but I do like to listen to them on my MP3 player.

I particularly like the early ones with Bill Kerr and Moira Lister, and Sid James always fleecing him out of money with his latest scams.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 11:28:14 AM »
I remember my Dad telling me about the programme.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 05:53:25 PM »
I remember my Dad telling me about the programme.

But he wouldn't let you listen to it? How sad. Now you can get those radio programmes you were not allowed to listen to as a kid on MP3.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 09:50:51 PM »
On one of those Android type Facebook phones? Great! 8)
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Bog

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 02:31:03 PM »
I just adore the fact they are so clean, Bill Kerr as the thicko Aussie, Hattie Jacques the large secretary Grizzly, Kenneth Williams, they are all there,
a punch up the bracket. claret conk, lovely stuff.

They just dont write stuff like that any more, anyway mince I am delighted I am not alone. got the lot on amazon for £15.
a bargain, in fact I got my lad to get me the set for fathers day, just had to wait an age for them to appear, ah the pleasures of the kids.

The weather here in London is bleak and cold, wet and dark, thank heavens summer is nearly over and we can have some autumn sunshine, oh and I am just off to florida for my hols just the hurricane arrives, any tips out there?

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 04:33:10 PM »
The weather here in London is bleak and cold, wet and dark, thank heavens summer is nearly over and we can have some autumn sunshine, oh and I am just off to florida for my hols just the hurricane arrives, any tips out there?

1.   Don't go and suffer the rain like the rest of us (Malc, Joan, Feather, etc excepted).

2.   If you go, stay inside (preferably in a concrete bunker).  That way you also won't get sunburn.

Joan

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2011, 04:58:33 AM »
Surprisingly, as a grumpy old bastard yes I am!.

Fished Gartmorn dam and actually caught a pike for once.

Fished for tope at the Isle of Whithorn, caught fish (not tope though) but had great fun with the PAAS mates.

Took the Scambell clan to Center parcs for a week and survived. Gained new name" Papa Max".

Had a wonderful sunny few days at Ardfern and Port Appin.

Today saw my 40th year working for the same shipyard, celebrations tomorrow night.

Nobody got hurt, the kids all loved it (including those in their 20's), and for once I didn't mind being busy every week.

Small things indeed, for a grumpy, but happy, old bastard.   :)

Sounds like a good summer, Papa Max! Love it, shall call you that from now on. Doesn't sound grumpy at all. x

Joan

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, 05:02:37 AM »
We've had an awful lot of rain, too, but it's been quite warm for winter and we did have one week in July when the temps in the middle of the day were in the mid-20s. I've had a reasonable winter, but not as good as this time last year, when my sis was here. Not only a great holiday, but the weather was fantastic.  8)

Offline Max

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 12:32:44 PM »
Surprisingly, as a grumpy old bastard yes I am!.

Fished Gartmorn dam and actually caught a pike for once.

Fished for tope at the Isle of Whithorn, caught fish (not tope though) but had great fun with the PAAS mates.

Took the Scambell clan to Center parcs for a week and survived. Gained new name" Papa Max".

Had a wonderful sunny few days at Ardfern and Port Appin.

Today saw my 40th year working for the same shipyard, celebrations tomorrow night.

Nobody got hurt, the kids all loved it (including those in their 20's), and for once I didn't mind being busy every week.

Small things indeed, for a grumpy, but happy, old bastard.   :)

Sounds like a good summer, Papa Max! Love it, shall call you that from now on. Doesn't sound grumpy at all. x

Joan I've really grown to like it, it beats the heck out of "that grumpy old sod"  ;D