Author Topic: Sunday night knitting woes  (Read 12175 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: Sunday night knitting woes
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 04:12:08 PM »
THe video would have been helpful Vulch if I were working with pink wool.

No, actually it was magic! I wasn't doing anything like that at all. Now I will pull apart my second go (very unevenly spaced) and maybe the third time will be a charm!
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 06:07:28 PM »
It was for me.
I apologise, in advance.

Joan

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 10:35:30 PM »
The thumb cast on was what I was trying to explain to you, Diane, except I wind the wool round my thumb in a cross, like the saltire. Even thought of making you a little video. How did you go?

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 11:18:58 PM »
I was thinking of having another go tonight Joan - it being Sunday night once again.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Diane CBPFC

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 04:26:08 AM »
Now, not to worry you all, but I have had a few setbacks. First the end bit came off one of the needles, but don't fret, I found it and taped it back on - but that could have been awful if the knitting all slid off the end.

Also I have a small hole in the scarf - there is not a loose piece but a hole like someone had planned a button hole there. I was thinking I could fancy it it up a bit and sew in a bead or crystal - unless anyone has any better ideas?

I am well up over an inch now and feeling the start of a blister. Damn you Harry Potter.

Vulture

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 06:34:15 AM »

Vulture

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 06:37:54 AM »
Now, not to worry you all, but I have had a few setbacks. First the end bit came off one of the needles, but don't fret, I found it and taped it back on - but that could have been awful if the knitting all slid off the end.

Also I have a small hole in the scarf - there is not a loose piece but a hole like someone had planned a button hole there. I was thinking I could fancy it it up a bit and sew in a bead or crystal - unless anyone has any better ideas?  It sounds as though you've dropped a stitch. I suppose you could crochet a batch of little daisies and sew one over each of these holes as they  occur....?

I am well up over an inch now and feeling the start of a blister. Damn you Harry Potter.

Joan

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 06:43:21 AM »
Re the hole, Diane. If you want to get rid of it, the best, and probably only thing, to do is to go back to that point and knit it again. By that I mean: take your needle off the stitches and unravel the knitting to that point, then put the stitches back on the needle and start knitting. To be honest, not advisable in your case.  You could try going back stitch by stitch, but that may be a bit too risky for you as well.

Maybe you should just call it an irregularity.  All good hand made things have irregularities. :-)

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 11:05:54 AM »
Gentlemen, if this deplorable situation is set to escalate any further, I suggest brandy and cigars in the Billiard Room.
I apologise, in advance.

Vulture

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011, 12:10:54 PM »
Gentlemen, if this deplorable situation is set to escalate any further, I suggest brandy and cigars in the Billiard Room.

Thank goodness for that. I'd have thought you'd have done the gentlemanly thing and left at the beginning of the conversation!

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 02:34:03 PM »
Re the hole, Diane. If you want to get rid of it, the best, and probably only thing, to do is to go back to that point and knit it again. By that I mean: take your needle off the stitches and unravel the knitting to that point, then put the stitches back on the needle and start knitting. To be honest, not advisable in your case.  You could try going back stitch by stitch, but that may be a bit too risky for you as well.

Maybe you should just call it an irregularity.  All good hand made things have irregularities. :-)

I like the sound of irregularities more than the thought of undooing all that knitting!

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2011, 02:37:18 PM »
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-cast-on-with-the-thumb-method.html

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-use-thumb-method-cast-knitting-208341/

Thank you, now that I am a knitter I have a file called knitting in which I will put this link.

At the rate I am going it will be no time until I change colours for the gold stripe - I was planning on just cutting the wool and doing a knot to change colours - is that what you would do?

Casting off is much easier than casting on!  http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-cast-off

Thanks Vulch - I have joined the world of knitters. I will let you know when I need to cast off.  ;)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2011, 06:24:29 PM »
Can I bring my knitting?