Author Topic: Sunday night knitting woes  (Read 12186 times)

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
Re: Sunday night knitting woes
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2011, 04:29:44 PM »
Did someone call?

Actually, I really do think this has to stop now. Unless anyone can knit me a new St Johnstone scarf... ?
What colours? What size? Wool or acrylic?  Prices from £30!
Now who's winding who up?
Oh, he's just needled 'coz he can't knit!
Anyone can knit.  I just depends on what the end result would be like.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2011, 06:20:09 PM »
Not a blister just a bit sore. You know how you go "in, over, through and off" - well, I use my left finger to push the needle through to help stop extra loops falling off the end.

Have you tried holding all the stitches on the left-hand needle except the one you're about to 'off'? This should save you have to push anything.

As a matter of interest, what size needles, what ply wool?

No, that never occured to me - sounds like a good idea! The wool is size 4 and the needles size 8.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Vulture

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2011, 07:20:29 PM »
Not a blister just a bit sore. You know how you go "in, over, through and off" - well, I use my left finger to push the needle through to help stop extra loops falling off the end.

Have you tried holding all the stitches on the left-hand needle except the one you're about to 'off'? This should save you have to push anything.

As a matter of interest, what size needles, what ply wool?

No, that never occured to me - sounds like a good idea! The wool is size 4 and the needles size 8.

You've lost me with the size 4 wool; here we have 'ply'. There's a very, very fine wool that's 1-ply; 2 x 1-ply threads twisted together is 2-ply wool; 3 x 1-ply......etc.  So if the needles are size 8 (English), and the wool is 4-ply, it seems a little thick (or the needles a little thin...) - which would explain the difficulty of having to push the stitch off the needle. How long is the finished scarf going to be?

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2011, 08:24:25 PM »
Vulch the wool/needles combo was what were suggested in the learn to knit brochure that I picked up. I don't know how long it is going to be...when I run out of wool?

I tell you - doing a bit of knitting makes me feel more British - makes me want to watch a spot of telly and have some (sugar free) boiled sweeties.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Vulture

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2011, 07:45:16 AM »
Vulch the wool/needles combo was what were suggested in the learn to knit brochure that I picked up. I don't know how long it is going to be...when I run out of wool? I can tell you how to join another ball ...

I tell you - doing a bit of knitting makes me feel more British - makes me want to watch a spot of telly and have some (sugar free) boiled sweeties.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2011, 02:20:31 PM »
Vulch I am already changing balls of wool on each stripe. I don't like the lumpy knots but at least I am making sure they are all on the same side of the scarf - this also gives it a front and back look as on the back you can see a color change line.

I knitted (knat?)last night and it was a lot easier to hold on to the stiches than push the needle - that was a good tip thanks.

Vulture

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2011, 02:22:40 AM »
Vulch I am already changing balls of wool on each stripe. I don't like the lumpy knots but at least I am making sure they are all on the same side of the scarf - this also gives it a front and back look as on the back you can see a color change line.

Sorry, I've only just seen this post: how many rows = a stripe? If it's twenty or so, you can just keep the first colour attached and start a second colour;  when you've knitted two rows, you'll be back to where the first colour is, so you knit that in with the last stitch. It means you have a line of 'hyphens' up one side of the scarf but no knots. Of course, if you have sixteen different colours, it gets a bit confusing for the new knitter but it's a slightly neater alternative to knots that can come undone! Do stop me if I'm being a busy-body - old habits die hard!  ;D

I knitted (knat?)last night and it was a lot easier to hold on to the stiches than push the needle - that was a good tip thanks.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2011, 05:31:32 AM »
That sounds like an ingenious plan Vulch - but now that I am on my 5th stripe (18 rows each - two colours) I will need to continue this one the same with knots.

Vulture

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2011, 06:16:51 AM »
That sounds like an ingenious plan Vulch - but now that I am on my 5th stripe (18 rows each - two colours) I will need to continue this one the same with knots.

....but maybe my ingenious plan will be useful when you go into the scarf-making business..... :)

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
It's also interesting to note the number of different ways people are able to wear scarves these day...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2011, 10:52:24 PM »
How about tied round the neck and then hooked up somewhere high.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2011, 02:43:33 PM »

Sorry, I've only just seen this post: how many rows = a stripe? If it's twenty or so, you can just keep the first colour attached and start a second colour;  when you've knitted two rows, you'll be back to where the first colour is, so you knit that in with the last stitch. It means you have a line of 'hyphens' up one side of the scarf but no knots. Of course, if you have sixteen different colours, it gets a bit confusing for the new knitter but it's a slightly neater alternative to knots that can come undone! Do stop me if I'm being a busy-body - old habits die hard!  ;D

It took me about 2 months to make my daughter her scarf - I am going to buy her the box of Harry Potter movies for Christmas and will wrap them in the scarf.

My 17 year old son was hinting that he too would like a scarf - if I make another one I am going to use this method for the stripes Vulch.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2011, 03:37:48 PM »

It took me about 2 months to make my daughter her scarf - I am going to buy her the box of Harry Potter movies for Christmas and will wrap them in the scarf.

My 17 year old son was hinting that he too would like a scarf - if I make another one I am going to use this method for the stripes Vulch.

You might have better results if you take your knitting needles to a Gents Outfitters, and, holding one of the knitting needles in your right hand, (between fore-finger and thumb), use it to point out a ready-made scarf, which you think your son would appreciate, to the salesperson. You're welcome.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2011, 04:48:05 PM »
Which one though, there are two you know.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2011, 05:10:53 PM »
The younger one... I think.  :-\
I apologise, in advance.