Author Topic: I hate some modern words.  (Read 4064 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: I hate some modern words.
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 03:07:20 PM »
realness, realidity, realification, realance

This both annoyed and amused me. Well done.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Feather

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 03:15:32 PM »

American criminals appear to get "lawyered up" before answering any questions. Aargh.

I've never heard the expression "lawyered up." It must be one of those "'hood" words.  The modern terms "baby mama" and "baby daddy" are two I can't stand.

In America, we do have the words, "realty," and "realtor," but both of those words have been around for a very long time and refer to the real estate business.

Redundant

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 10:50:44 AM »
In America, we do have the words, "realty," and "realtor," but both of those words have been around for a very long time and refer to the real estate business.

Did the expression "liquored up" come out of America?  One of my favourites, or favorites if you prefer  :)

Malc

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 10:17:59 AM »
I hate phrases more than words per se. I especially hate the glib way "don't be a hater" is bandied around these days, and hate how critics are now "haters", as though every half-arsed incompetent or evil maniac is beyond censure. Throwing out the "hater" charge is also a substitute for answering a legitimate criticism, as in "but you killed four people in cold blood, how do you justify that?"

"I don't listen to the haters".

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 12:37:46 AM »
Kids "text" other kids. They say, "someone text me", instead of "someone texted me", which admittedly sounds odd.

Language has evolved over centuries. It continues to evolve through usage. I like it that way.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Malc

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 02:14:37 PM »
...evolving into something less, though. Even letters home from working class soldiers during the first world war could be erudite and contain masterful, poetic phrases. Compare that with the grammar of today's youth, innit?

Vulture

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 02:32:09 PM »
Kids "text" other kids. They say, "someone text me", instead of "someone texted me", which admittedly sounds odd.

It does sound odd - I usually get round it by saying/typing; I received a text from .....

ooops! Sorry! Forgot me manners: 'innit'!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:35:56 PM by Vulture »

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 02:47:13 PM »
My students always say "I am going Tesco" or "We're going to go France."

Vulture

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 05:44:07 PM »
My students always say "I am going Tesco" or "We're going to go France."

I think you should tell them you are going beat them, until they stop!