Author Topic: This Forum...  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
This Forum...
« on: August 11, 2013, 11:34:19 PM »
What a sad little chapter in Beau Peep Forum history this has been.

It would appear that the upshot is that we now have two forums. A shiny new one, courtesy of Peepsie, and this 'old' one, now rehosted for at least the next three years, courtesy of Mince along with mystery benefactor(s). I'd personally like to thank all concerned for each, and acknowledge that both Mince and Peepmaster are (and long have been) integral to the good running of the Beau Peep Forum, and are worthy of high praise for all they have both done over the years, in spite of their petulance and mutual loathing, which has, for the most part, been highly entertaining to observe. That is until this latest chapter, which has actually threatened to over-spill into seriousness.

However, it does seem that we have arrived at not only a solution, but one that provides options, possibly even a dilemma. Two forums (fora?) - can we make use of both, or do we opt for one over the other? For me, the choice is simple. Much as I admire the golden look of the shiny new forum, it seems to me that it comes down to a simple choice between that one, with its much-admired 'like' button, or these good old boards that have served us so well in recent years, and which have the weight of those years still attached. By that, I mean all the old posts remain intact, thanks to Mince's determination to preserve all of our old drivel, rather than disposing of it (something I believe he deserves our thanks for, and not some of the rather unjust comments directed at him of late). I know his bedside manner can leave a lot to be desired, but I believe he has always had this place's best interests at heart, with precious little in the way of thanks by return. And of course, I include myself in that. So, thank you, Mincey.

Of course, I wouldn't blame anyone for challenging any concern I'm showing now, on the grounds that I've contributed very little in recent times. But with well over 4000 posts to my name, every one an incisive and important contribution (koff koff!), second only to Peepmaster and Mince themselves, I think I have earned the right to care about the history of this place, and be forgiven for wanting to preserve it so that students and enthusiasts of the reason we are all gathered here, may in future have the opportunity to enjoy our collective drivel as enthusiastically as we have delivered it over the years. I may be a master of self-delusion, but I happen to think we have created an important body of work here, and would like that to continue.

So my own preference is to thank Peepsie for his swift work in setting up a safety net, but rather than look a gift horse in the mouth, I'd prefer it if we continued where we left off, and carried on using this 'old' forum which Mince has now reinstated and is assured and paid for at least the next three years.

The alternative is keeping this one as an archive, whilst enjoying the fresh furniture in the new one, but I think that would be a bit of a waste of the full 'story' wrapped up in cameldung. What do you think?
I apologise, in advance.

Sandy Buttcheeks

Re: This Forum...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 11:53:51 PM »
If I was only given one choice, it would be this board. It's like home to me because it's the only one I've known, and dare I say it, I like the fact that I can go back and look over the years of posts, from before I was wise enough to bring my crap "humour" to somewhere it could be suitably ridiculed.
It needs the core however. Without that core of people, or more to the point, having the core potentially split over two forums, I don't think either will work as well.
So I'm pretty much with Tarks in this, I would love it to be here, with all the usual regulars and all the usual guff.

Pretty please?   :'(

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 03:32:01 AM »
My two cents:

I think Mince should have given more notice about the problems with the old site but seeing that life suddenly went so crap for him that he lost his web hosting ability, I think we should cut him some slack. And probably give him a hug too.

I think it was nice of a couple of people to anonymously fund the old moved forums and nice that Mince moved the past 7 years of valuable contributions there.

I think Peeps did a marvelous job of finding us a new home at the cost of a big chunk of his weekend – and I do like the new place better – love the thumbs ups, not having to spell write etc

My suggestion is that we use the old moved forums for the next three years seeing that somebody has paid for them – then we move to the new forums in 2016. 

But if this comes down to a battle of egos and personalities – then I’m with Peeps.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Egg

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 08:19:46 AM »
Although being on board from day 1 in reading BP in the paper and all the books, I'm still a newby
around here so the fact that everything, the history if you like, is still here is very important.

Many thanks to all who have worked and contributed in getting this place back up and running, but
I'm still not 100% sure on what the final, final, outcome is.........are we here, there or both! ???

Egg

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 08:25:50 AM »
.................I do like the new place better – love the thumbs ups, not having to spell write etc
??  ??? ??