Author Topic: What movies did YOU watch this xmas?  (Read 7002 times)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Re: What movies did YOU watch this xmas?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 08:08:00 AM »
Thank goodness you didn’t buy him “Titanic” – the poor old bugger would be bobbling about on an ice flow as we head into the New Year.

Bobbling about, I'll accept. If he starts singing Celine Dion, I'll blowtorch his ice flow personally.  >:(

I have to agree with your reaction to Dion, but James Horner's score is stunning, especially at 3:15 in this track.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 08:17:11 AM »
And this is stunning as well.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 08:34:56 AM by Mince »

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 09:38:36 PM »
What can I say, Mince?

It's haunting...it's atmospheric...but yet poignant, subtle and other poncey words as yet unthought-of. Now I'm no music expert, but within that classic I'm sure I heard those stringy things, the brassy coloured metal things and, dare I venture, the bangy round things. Am I correct? I tell you, if his wee brother hadn't sat in that corner doing untold damage to pies with his thumb, they could have been rivals to The Proclaimers, The Alexander Brothers...maybe even Musical Yoof.

The second clip you posted, "A Building Panic" was outstanding, only bettered by his next track, "I'm shitting It Now", in my opinion. Although, in fairness the films last two tracks, "Why Has My Willie Shrank" and "F**k me, I'm Drowning" were really good too.

Well done for raising the tone of the board.

:)

Malc

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 12:09:38 PM »
I'm trying to attach a Smiley to this post, but ever since I installed that device that removes all mention of ##### ##### (M I L E Y   C Y R U S) from my internet experience, I can't use Smileys either.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 01:10:47 PM »
What can I say, Mince?

It's haunting...it's atmospheric...but yet poignant, subtle and other poncey words as yet unthought-of. Now I'm no music expert, but within that classic I'm sure I heard those stringy things, the brassy coloured metal things and, dare I venture, the bangy round things. Am I correct? I tell you, if his wee brother hadn't sat in that corner doing untold damage to pies with his thumb, they could have been rivals to The Proclaimers, The Alexander Brothers...maybe even Musical Yoof.

The second clip you posted, "A Building Panic" was outstanding, only bettered by his next track, "I'm shitting It Now", in my opinion. Although, in fairness the films last two tracks, "Why Has My Willie Shrank" and "F**k me, I'm Drowning" were really good too.

Well done for raising the tone of the board.

:)

Do I detect sarcasm there?

The first thing I thought when I heard the music in Titanic in the cinema was "Ooh, the same composer as Star Trek 2".

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2013, 06:15:14 PM »
Sarcasm? Moi?

Titanic is one of the most boring films I have ever seen. Not even the nudity of Kate Winslet's body double saved the day. I knew the story. The ship sailed...the ship hit an iceberg...the ship sank. The end. Anyone who hasn't seen the film and is now reading this, I have just freed up 194 minutes and 55 secs of your life (no need to thank me). Now, if the ships band had been able to strike up Monty Pythons "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life" or Status Quo's "Down Down", I would at least have emitted a chuckle.

And I'm afraid Leodongo deux Cappuccino or whatever he's called was just a ham. He couldn't even act the part of a drowning man properly. Where was all the wild thrashing of arms, the bulging eyes and the facial terror?  Not our Jack...not him. Splashing and thrashing are for the plebs, not for the serious "actorrrr" types.

Titanic indeed...Pah !!

Ooooooo..."Dance of the Dead" is on Horror at 9pm...must go get popcorn and bubblegum bottles looked out.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2013, 06:44:53 PM »
No, Gravity was boring.

Titanic was not bad, but they spend too much time running around below deck.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2013, 06:47:42 PM »
So, you're a horror man. Romance does not interest you?

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2013, 06:52:21 PM »
He's chatting you up, Sandy.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2013, 09:33:52 PM »
He's chatting you up, Sandy.

So that would that be bromance or just romince?  :-[

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2013, 09:51:52 PM »
So, you're a horror man. Romance does not interest you?

It used to, but marriage is great for knocking that nonsense out of you.   <-

Listen, if you think that Titanic is a romantic film then you're one porthole short of a poop deck. It is shameless product placement by the Harland and Wolff company. If memory serves me right, every time you looked away and then back to the film, there was a bloody big ship with the word "Titanic" emblazoned across it. That's not even approaching subtle. I refuse to go watch it with Mrs Buttcheeks, because all I would get is "Well if you really loved me, you would buy me a Titanic". I'm not a miserable man, it's not the cost, but her ornament cabinet is full and I can't think of anywhere else she could put one.

At least horrors are honest, factual and dare I say, real.  We've all worried about where to find a decent virgin to sacrifice, we've all had to run away from hairy werewolves after leaving the local pub and who hasn't had to shoo away a vampire from the window...worse than bloody moths they are.

Nah, you can keep your supposed chick-flicks, Mince me old mucker, real men do horrors (at least once or twice in their lives anyway)   ;D

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2014, 06:43:47 AM »
I haven't seen a decent horror film in decades, although Drag Me To Hell was fun.

Do you like the Vincent Price horrors?

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2014, 12:19:07 PM »
I haven't seen a decent horror film in decades, although Drag Me To Hell was fun.

Do you like the Vincent Price horrors?

Horrors seem to rely to much on effects now, rather that trying to mentally scare the poop out of you and I think that's why they're not the greatest anymore.

I was never a big Vincent Price fan, although "House of Wax", "Pit and the Pendulum" and of course, "Fall of the House of Usher" were all excellent films. I was recently trying to read Edgar Allen Poe (sadly, the respect this authors name should command has forever been damaged by The Goons, "Ying Tong Yiddle I Po" song...well, maybe that's just me mind you), and got a good way into Mr Poe before studying took over.

The only film recently that I couldn't even bring myself to watch from behind a cushion...Titanic. Truly horrible.

;)

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2014, 05:30:43 AM »
Who brought up Titanic?  :-[
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2014, 05:32:36 AM »
We ventured from our hermitage and headed to the city for a grand adventure – the place was teaming with life, people and vehicles buzzing about everywhere! Finally got to see The Hobbit 2, it was awesome on the big screen. My movie ticket went in our family “Awesome Things of 2014” jar.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad