Author Topic: That's Christmas over. thank god  (Read 6722 times)

Malc

Re: That's Christmas over. thank god
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 09:25:02 AM »
Thanks Sandy, 12 seems to be the typical age for guitar players - me too.

In the final mix I'm determined to un-jangle the guitars a little, make the bass more bass-y, relegate my voice so it doesn't stick out like dog's balls and re-do the bass's introduction.

The engineer wanted to know what sound I was going for? I said "Neil Young". He said "you mentioned doing a couple of ballads too" I said, "yes, Neil Young again".

I wish I was Neil Young. Wilko is good too, mind.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 09:46:16 AM »
That's brilliant, Malc! The guitar work is superb. When you throw in the fact that you had the best cartoon in Private Eye this week, you have become seriously annoying.

Malc

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 11:37:53 AM »
I'm tempted to send them another one

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2015, 06:11:48 AM »
Here's the rough mix of "Crossroads", hopefully you can all access it via Drop Box.

The final mix probably won't be for a few weeks as I'm keen to get onto other songs, and the tech/engineer likes to fiddle around with it on his own first and present me with his version. Then I get to "tweak".

Or, as usually happens, I change the whole damn thing.

So in this version all levels are wrong (vocals too high, bass not beefy enough) but have a listen.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u44tsxi85juwicb/the%20Crossroads%2008.01.15.mp3?dl=0

I shall have to wait until Wednesday to download this as I am over 100% of my monthly limit so have been put on slow down. (I had three kids home over the holidays). As I am starting an online course on Monday for a new job it couldn't have happened at a worse time - I offered to pay them for twice to double the GB this month but they are not able to do that - "here's my money, I want to buy more of your GB" - No we can only sell our GB to people who haven't got them which is why we pay all this money to advertise to sell our GB- not to you they said. I find that ridiculous.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Malc

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2015, 09:37:00 AM »
It's madness. And in Canadia too . . .

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2015, 12:05:34 PM »
That tune's great, Malc. reminds me of an old Cream number.

(Mind you, I have to say the last time I fell over and banged my knee at the crossroads, I didn't make quite such a song and dance about it... As for trying to hitch a ride, someone should simply have called an ambulance)
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Online Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2015, 09:47:26 PM »
Yep - that'll do. Ink it in...
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 09:26:47 PM »
I must say that was a lot more sounds than I was expecting from one person. How many instruments did you put in that piece? It's very clever how you can do one part on your own without hearing the other parts that you will do later.

That was just like a real professional number - well done Malc. 
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Malc

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, 07:09:12 AM »
Thanks Diane.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2015, 07:39:25 PM »
I don't know if anyone ever watches the programme "Classis Albums" (that is if the abroad contingent can access get BBC 4), but it's a great programme. They always a have a short bit in it that goes through the mixing desk, and you get to hear some bits of the tracks as they were laid down. It is absolutely fascinating to hear it stripped back to separate channels and how it all comes together as a complete track.

Maybe it's just me, but if I were the BBC, I'd put out more programmes like that. Fascinating stuff.

Malc

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2015, 10:56:17 AM »
Yes, I love that programme.

The engineer bloke I'm working with will give you chapter and verse on all the classic albums, he seems to know what each musician did and when on every song since the sixties.

The Beatles first recorded on two track tape machines (in other words, two Beatles to each microphone, so to speak), and the resulting recordings are testimony to their talent, musicianship and hundreds of hours rehearsal. Then there are the newly released acapella tapes of Marvin Gaye and his flawless singing.

Those guys came up the hard way, and just as I can admire Ed Sheeran, the recording industry isn't replete with towering natural talent unaided by Autotune and echo chamber.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 04:35:41 PM »
http://youtu.be/byqTGIkmgAQ

Try the above, Malc.

Not a huge fan of Adele, but what a voice. Don't know if it's really true acapella, as I suspect it's been done by software that lifts out the vocal track, but no matter, I think it's excellent. YouTube is great for vocal/guitar only stuff. There's a lot of Brian May guitar tracks split down as well.

I've always said that true talent is a basic thing. Give a guy/lassie and a piano/guitar and I'll gladly listen for hours. I actually went to see Ed Sheeran in concert, a few months back and didn't know what to expect. Phenomenal. His style was brilliant and I loved the looping. Great singer too, of course.

A lot of things I could give up in this life...music isn't one of them.

:)

Malc

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2015, 09:18:51 PM »
Adele is superb too, and to make a crass point - she's doing it without the sex tapes and bootie shots.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2015, 11:56:02 PM »
Yeah.

Adele and Subo...keeping it real.

Thankfully.

;D