Beau Peep Notice Board > Saloon Bar

Horace Characters

(1/2) > >>

The Peepmaster:
Did that new Horace character that was suggested (the old man gunslinger I think it was), ever see the light of day?

Also, can any of the characters from Horace be equated with characters in either Beau Peep, or Andy Capp?

Roger Kettle:
I did a one-off gag featuring a gunfight between two ageing gunslingers (the gunfight went on for hours because they kept going to the toilet). I fully intend to use Malc's idea of an old gunfighter in a week-long series but haven't quite got it right in my head yet. Sometimes I will toy with an idea for months before it finally clicks into place.
Not long after I started writing Horace, I introduced a "medicine man" character. I soon realised that he could easily turn into The Nomad and I changed his personality.
I am the first to admit that I am a limited writer. My basic premise is to take an established hero, churn out a wimpish version then throw in some peripheral loonies! Because of this, there are bound to be similarities in the strips I write.
Andy Capp is a bit different. The characters had already been put in place by the wonderful Reg Smythe. In the beginning, I tried very hard to copy Reg's humour but, inevitably, my own style soon kicked in. While I'd like to think I still capture the essence of Andy, there was a depth to Reg's writing that I don't even come close to. He had a brilliant way of conveying the love between Andy and Flo---despite the warring facade---that is simply beyond me. My stuff makes it look like like they hate each other and it drives me mad that I can't capture that magical, and essential, element of underlying  devotion.
I also have to work extremely hard not to turn Andy's mate, Chalkie, into Dennis!

Tarquin Thunderthighs lll:

--- Quote from: Roger Kettle on July 21, 2007, 09:04:14 PM ---My stuff makes it look like like they hate each other and it drives me mad that I can't capture that magical, and essential, element of underlying  devotion.

--- End quote ---

It doesn't, and it shouldn't, because you can and you do.

Enormously tough act to follow, enormously well done.

'Nuff said.

The Peepmaster:

--- Quote from: Tarquin Thunderthighs lll on July 21, 2007, 09:26:47 PM ---
--- Quote from: Roger Kettle on July 21, 2007, 09:04:14 PM ---My stuff makes it look like like they hate each other and it drives me mad that I can't capture that magical, and essential, element of underlying  devotion.

--- End quote ---

'Nuff said.

--- End quote ---

I'd like to second that.

peter:

--- Quote from: The Peepmaster on July 22, 2007, 03:25:42 PM ---
--- Quote from: Tarquin Thunderthighs lll on July 21, 2007, 09:26:47 PM ---

--- End quote ---

'Nuff said.

--- End quote ---

I'd like to second that.

--- End quote ---
I read yesterdays Andy Capp and do appreciate what Roger says.
I see Rogers humour.
This was the first time I have read this cartoon since the original.
You have a hard act to follow but you have nothing to worry about
The average readed proberly does not know that there is a different cartoonist

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version