Author Topic: Return of the Christmas competition.  (Read 32996 times)

Redundant

Re: Return of the Christmas competition.
« Reply #105 on: November 27, 2015, 02:38:03 PM »

Roger won't be fooled by that mumbo-jumbo. He's far too intelligent.  ;D

Maybe I should write something he can clap to...

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #106 on: November 27, 2015, 02:42:39 PM »
In layman's terms juxtaposition is the poetic equivalent of tantric sex

At its simplest, juxtaposition is merely "the placing of one thing next to another", which does sound a bit rude.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #107 on: November 27, 2015, 02:43:43 PM »
Maybe I should write something he can clap to...

Given Roger's own entry, you may be right.

Redundant

« Reply #108 on: November 27, 2015, 03:09:44 PM »
I'm not sure there's a benefit to analysing poetry, at least for me personally, I am sure there is great deal of intellectual value.   It's like one of my favourite duets, "Au fond du temple saint" [best version Jussi Bjorling and Robert Merrill], for a while I lost something after I learnt the lyrics because my own imagined dialogue differed to reality, as imagination frequently does.  Fortunately the mind's a magic thing and I soon "deleted" the actual lyrics and just concentrated on the magnificent sound.

https://youtu.be/5PYt2HlBuyI

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #109 on: November 27, 2015, 03:26:32 PM »
I once asked Roger if he analysed the humour in Beau Peep, and he said he didn't because it would probably interfere with his creativity. Obviously when I was an English tutor I had to analyse poems with students, and I enjoyed doing so. So perhaps we will have to agree to disagree.

Redundant

« Reply #110 on: November 27, 2015, 03:43:31 PM »
I once asked Roger if he analysed the humour in Beau Peep, and he said he didn't because it would probably interfere with his creativity. Obviously when I was an English tutor I had to analyse poems with students, and I enjoyed doing so. So perhaps we will have to agree to disagree.

We don't actually disagree, I think we both see the value in the analyse, particularly within an educational context, but for me personally I like my "in my head" version better most of the time, rather than someone else's interpretation.   It's like Lord of the Rings, I really enjoyed the recent film trilogy, I also enjoyed and preferred Ralf Bakshi's 1978 film which sadly was never completed in terms of covering the whole of the book, but the version I have in my head is my favourite.   I guess it's like most things, the closer you get the more that is revealed, and less of the mystery remains.   I like the mystery.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #111 on: November 27, 2015, 03:58:12 PM »
It's like Lord of the Rings, I really enjoyed the recent film trilogy, I also enjoyed and preferred Ralf Bakshi's 1978 film which sadly was never completed in terms of covering the whole of the book, but the version I have in my head is my favourite.

The thing I enjoyed the most about the book was not further boring myself after page 120.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #112 on: November 27, 2015, 10:11:41 PM »
I stand by my original answer but I hope it doesn't sound pretentious. My career has been based on thinking up daft ideas. If I start trying to analyse how I do it or delve into the thought process involved, it may well be the first step on the road to madness. I sit at my desk or, often, lie on my couch and think up daft ideas. I'm very lucky and I certainly don't want to add to the pressure of meeting deadlines by adding some sort of inward psychological investigation. As I said, I'm lucky. Who else can make money while lying on their back on a couch? Well. okay...

In my final year at school, I carried Lord of the Rings around for about two months. Locked between my inner elbow and my waist, it was meant to show how cool I was. I think I managed to read about 40 pages.

The competition winner will be announced this weekend.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2015, 11:46:06 PM »
Whoa !! Easy there, Tiger.

When did the competition officially start???    ???

*gets thinking cap on*

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2015, 11:56:49 PM »
He's the funniest cowboy ever invented.
But nobody knows to where he has wented.
I apologise, in advance.

Redundant

« Reply #115 on: November 28, 2015, 07:47:17 AM »
It took me three goes to read Lord of the Rings, and that was spaced over a number of years from about 14 to 25 years of age, oddly the third attempt took no effort at all, although I did skip most of the poetry and songs.   Since then I have read it again several times and now I enjoy every bit, poetry and songs et al, I guess it's all in the timing and the temperament.

For a time in the seventies, when the mob had me billeted to a shorebase, I worked part-time as a bartender, there was a darts match being played and I noticed one chap had a regular "pattern" or "tell" as he threw his darts.   Innocently enough I mentioned this to him a little later, threw him completely, he hadn't really noticed it before, presumably just fell into to it through practice, but afterwards he couldn't stop thinking about it each time, and it knackered his darts game for a long time afterwards.   Some things are better left unanalysed.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #116 on: November 28, 2015, 08:29:14 PM »
Whoa !! Easy there, Tiger.

When did the competition officially start???    ???

*gets thinking cap on*
Well, okay, I'll extend the deadline until Monday lunchtime and announce the winner that evening.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #117 on: November 28, 2015, 10:06:46 PM »
Well, okay, I'll extend the deadline until Monday lunchtime and announce the winner that evening.

Hey! How come he gets special treatment? Just kick him out for being a slowcoach.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2015, 10:35:22 PM »

Hey! How come he gets special treatment? Just kick him out for being a slowcoach.

It'll be time well spent. I have a long address and it'll give Roger time to write out the envelope.

Anyway, we have a special postal service up here since the birth of the Scottish Parliament. Letters to Englandshire get ignored. Want to win the competition, Mince? Get a house in Auchtermuchty.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2015, 10:41:32 PM »
He's the funniest cowboy ever invented.
But nobody knows to where he has wented.

They say he has letters from Kitty all scented
He now reads them at night till his sheets get all tented.

Me and Tarks wins !!