Author Topic: My "Stupidity is the new Normal" theory  (Read 10010 times)

Redundant

Re: My "Stupidity is the new Normal" theory
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2015, 10:49:38 PM »
My point is, how do you gauge stupidity and in what context? Is being articulate enough to be considered intelligent? If so, that's a bit unfair. Why is PRACTICAL intelligence not so highly thought of? If Tarzan and Einstein turned up on "Mastermind", I would stick my money on Albert. If Tarzan and Einstein were dumped in the African jungle...well, I'm sure you know where I'm going with this. Is the intelligence required to thrive in the jungle less important than the intelligence required to win "Mastermind"? There's a touch of "The Admirable Crichton" about this.
For the record, I would die on Mastermind in half an hour and in the African jungle in 4 minutes.

It's a valid point, and perhaps my point is not that practical intelligence doesn't have a value, given I'd last five minutes or less on Mastermind and a little longer in the jungle.   Personally, if asked, I'd probably rate practical intelligence over intellectual intelligence, whilst wishing I had more of the latter.   If asked however I would also probably plume for being too stupid to reflect on life, to any serious degree, allowing for Minces argument that all can reflect.   I guess you could liken it to having a belief system, it must be quite nice to view life, and death, with faith, nothing about an atheists viewpoint is anywhere near as pleasant.

I'm fairly certain, and I see evidence most days, that stupidity is the new normal, so I believe that theory is fairly functional.   It does not in itself decry stupidity, it does not make a judgement on stupidity, it simply states that taking issue with stupidity these days seems to draw more ire upon the complainer than the act of stupidity itself.

I would like to believe as Mince does, that everyone can do something about their happiness, but I don't.  The second part of my post related to the value of stupidity in terms of reflection, again it does not decry that stupidity, it merely asks which is better.   A lot of this argument of mine is fairly simply based [I like to keep to my strengths], so here is an example, again for Mince, but I am in no way sure it proves any point whatsoever.

When I was fourteen I lived in a bedsit.   I had a job.   Every Friday night I would hit the local nightclub where I would minesweep most of my drinks.  Oh yes, I was also a virgin.   I met a twenty year old Irish girl and by the end of that summer it was a serious love job.   After that things went to batshit and that was mostly my fault.   Now most of that relationship was positive, and good, and wonderful and yes, quite sexy.   Now, I personally would like to be stupid enough to reflect on that relationship on such a superficial level that all I remembered was the positive, if I reflected on it at all.   Sadly I am not, so while I can push myself to remember the positive aspect, I can't for a moment loose the negative.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2015, 11:00:30 PM »
When I was fourteen I lived in a bedsit.   I had a job.   Every Friday night I would hit the local nightclub where I would minesweep most of my drinks.  Oh yes, I was also a virgin.   I met a twenty year old Irish girl and by the end of that summer it was a serious love job.   After that things went to batshit and that was mostly my fault.   Now most of that relationship was positive, and good, and wonderful and yes, quite sexy.   Now, I personally would like to be stupid enough to reflect on that relationship on such a superficial level that all I remembered was the positive, if I reflected on it at all.   Sadly I am not, so while I can push myself to remember the positive aspect, I can't for a moment loose the negative.

Perhaps this is not the answer you were looking for but here it is: stop thinking about it. Seriously, it's the past, and if thinking about it brings negative thoughts, stop doing so. Learn from it. Reflect on it. Do something about it. But don't stew over it.

Redundant

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2015, 12:20:09 AM »
Perhaps this is not the answer you were looking for but here it is: stop thinking about it. Seriously, it's the past, and if thinking about it brings negative thoughts, stop doing so. Learn from it. Reflect on it. Do something about it. But don't stew over it.

You miss the point Mince, I suspect because you have a good soul.   This was not self examination, I did say so earlier, it was a genuine argument/proposal regarding stupidity, nothing more.   I can and do live happily enough with both the negative and the positive aspects of my life.  It was used as an example only, it isn't hampering anything in my life, it's just a memory, and mostly a pleasant one.  I make new ones every day, some are good, some are not, would it be nicer to be sufficiently stupid that I could skip the negative aspects of memory?   No idea.   I know I'd probably also then miss out on poetry, art, music, history, politics, love, loss and life itself, so unless we can magically modify stupidity to hit only specific targets, in hindsight maybe I'll elect for intelligence and live with being the bad guy when I point out the growing prevalence of stupidity.

On a lighter note I can honestly say there is a certain public park in Douglas that I truly cannot walk into without a momentary grin hitting my face, all down to that same memory.   As for what effect a certain park bench has...

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2015, 08:06:34 AM »
I'm sure, if you choose any person at random, they will have a list of "stupid things" they have done and later reflected on. Whether they fail to learn from their mistakes, or are happy to repeat them, is up to them. But I would have thought both of those are preferable to reflecting on mistakes you make, being unhappy with them and failing to learn from them so that the cycle repeats. That's the real stupidity: not being in control of your own happiness.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2015, 09:21:27 AM »
And some might say that making an extremely obvious joke indicates stupidity...

How do you gauge obvious and in what context?

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2015, 09:50:36 AM »
To define stupidity, you went for the obvious and oft-repeated---my lack of technical skills.
I came up with the brilliant retort you quoted above.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2015, 11:16:56 AM »
To define stupidity, you went for the obvious and oft-repeated---my lack of technical skills.
I came up with the brilliant retort you quoted above.

I didn't define stupidity at all. I merely presented your "lack of technical skills" as an indication of stupidity. And I should point out that, given also your laughably brainless attempt to judge the Christmas competition, and your almost bizarre and deluded use of the word "brilliant" above, were I ever to use all these and other traits of yours to define stupidity, you would be the only stupid person on the planet with no one else even close. ;D

« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 11:21:12 AM by Mince »

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2015, 12:50:10 PM »
Thank you.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2015, 01:58:27 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D