Author Topic: My entire life---a brief version.  (Read 9237 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
My entire life---a brief version.
« on: September 19, 2016, 09:02:04 PM »
I was born on the 23rd of June, 1951, in Glasgow. It was a Monday which explains the "fairness of my face". My father wasn't present at the birth because he was in Haiti. (He was the only child of a French mother and an English father and was born in St. Thomas in the American Virgin Islands). My mother was Scottish from a Scottish/Orcadian background. I then moved to Haiti to join my father, accompanied by my mother and my sister (who, earlier, had been born in the Dominican Republic). Returning to Scotland (Haiti's dictator, Papa Doc, was not a huge fan of foreigners), I ended up in Dalwhinnie in the Highlands after brief spells in Glasgow and Perthshire. All this by the time I was six. I was educated at Dalwhinnie Primary School and Inverness Royal Academy (where I starred in the football team, winning the North of Scotland league and cup in 1969). I can't say that I starred academically but passed the required exams to get to university. However, after deciding I was far too lazy to spend several years studying, I joined The Topper in Dundee and began writing stuff like Beryl the Peril. Then I met Andrew Christine, who was to become a lifelong friend and partner in the world of comic strips. We did stuff and are still doing stuff.
In my mid-thirties, I learned how to breed and, with the help of a wonderful woman that I've now known for 39 years, I became the father of two little beings who became the lights of my life. Not now, of course. They left home ages ago and are now just annoying. (Joking!)
I've seen the Eiffel Tower and the one that leans in Pisa. I've seen Mount Rushmore in South Dakota and the Little Mermaid in Copenhagen. I've eaten snails in Nice and lobster in Boston, not to mention pies in Dundee. I've met Bill Clinton, Margaret Thatcher, Richard Branson, Brian May and the podgy one from the Likely Lads. (None of this is particularly impressive. The last four on the list were all at Daily Star Awards ceremonies I was invited to. It's not like they've been round my house for a booze-up.)
Since it's been quiet on here, I thought I'd tell you about my life. That's it.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Re: My entire life---a brief version.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 12:11:16 AM »
Yes, the "did stuff" is basically why we're here on this site, because it's funny stuff. If I could make a living off the stupid rubbish that comes into my head (though I'm sure it involves more than this), I'd be dead happy.

I realised, once I installed a package that shows the avatar for the topic starter, that I have started a few too many topics. So I decided that at least for the next year, I would just respond to the topics started by others and stop turning this board into a debate club about home schooling, plant-based diets and the television licence.

Anyway, Roger, in response to the biography, and given the sheer number of amazing things you've seen and done, I was wondering what the weather was like up there.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 09:35:52 AM »
Mild, dry and completely windless.
I'm scared.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 09:57:07 AM »
Mild, dry and completely windless.

And the weather?

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 05:31:27 PM »
I thought I said something nice yesterday about your life summary, but I don't see it today. It seems that life has worked out well for you, getting out of dangerous places and having the good fortune to be born in Glasgow.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 05:50:33 PM »
... getting out of dangerous places and having the good fortune to be born in Glasgow.

I think Glasgow is probably another of those dangerous places.  ;D

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 07:40:51 PM »
I was born on the 23rd of June, 1951, in Glasgow. It was a Monday which explains the "fairness of my face". My father wasn't present at the birth because he was in Haiti. (He was the only child of a French mother and an English father and was born in St. Thomas in the American Virgin Islands). My mother was Scottish from a Scottish/Orcadian background. I then moved to Haiti to join my father, accompanied by my mother and my sister (who, earlier, had been born in the Dominican Republic). Returning to Scotland (Haiti's dictator, Papa Doc, was not a huge fan of foreigners), I ended up in Dalwhinnie in the Highlands after brief spells in Glasgow and Perthshire. All this by the time I was six. I was educated at Dalwhinnie Primary School and Inverness Royal Academy (where I starred in the football team, winning the North of Scotland league and cup in 1969). I can't say that I starred academically but passed the required exams to get to university. However, after deciding I was far too lazy to spend several years studying, I joined The Topper in Dundee and began writing stuff like Beryl the Peril. Then I met Andrew Christine, who was to become a lifelong friend and partner in the world of comic strips. We did stuff and are still doing stuff.
In my mid-thirties, I learned how to breed and, with the help of a wonderful woman that I've now known for 39 years, I became the father of two little beings who became the lights of my life. Not now, of course. They left home ages ago and are now just annoying. (Joking!)
I've seen the Eiffel Tower and the one that leans in Pisa. I've seen Mount Rushmore in South Dakota and the Little Mermaid in Copenhagen. I've eaten snails in Nice and lobster in Boston, not to mention pies in Dundee. I've met Bill Clinton, Margaret Thatcher, Richard Branson, Brian May and the podgy one from the Likely Lads. (None of this is particularly impressive. The last four on the list were all at Daily Star Awards ceremonies I was invited to. It's not like they've been round my house for a booze-up.)
Since it's been quiet on here, I thought I'd tell you about my life. That's it.

388 words, and I don't get a single mention?  :\

Should I have known you were a fellow native Weegie? Were you also a Rottenrow Boy? I got out when I was two, and like you, my family agreed to go with me. Unlike you, I didn't end up in Haiti, but Glenrothes. But to a 2-year-old, there's not a lot of difference.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 12:49:07 PM by Tarquin Thunderthighs lll »
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 08:19:44 AM »
Forgot to mention I've met Steve Bright. (Didn't want to age you by telling everyone we've been friends for about 35 years!)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 08:36:17 AM »
Forgot to mention I've met Steve Bright.

aka the creator of Bananarama.

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 12:50:05 PM »
Someone had to.

Forgot to mention I've met Steve Bright. (Didn't want to age you by telling everyone we've been friends for about 35 years!)

We met at Kindergarten, natch.
I apologise, in advance.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 08:57:44 PM »
I've met Bill Clinton, Margaret Thatcher, Richard Branson, Brian May and the podgy one from the Likely Lads. (None of this is particularly impressive.

You met Brian May?

You met Brian May?

And you say none of this is particularly impressive ?  The man is a God.   :o :o :o

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 10:16:30 PM »
Pffft! He's no Bananarama now, is he?!  ..0
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 10:46:27 PM »
Sandy, the guy was ridiculously nice, as was his wife, Anita Dobson. Back in the 90's, the Daily Star hosted awards ceremonies to celebrate the achievements of the general public and Andrew and I used to get invited along. After the main do, at the likes of the the London Savoy, there would be a private room set aside for the celebrities to enjoy further free drinks. For some reason, Andrew and I were allowed to join them. Anyway, on one occasion, we ended up next to Brian and Anita and had a great time. On learning that Andrew's daughter was studying at RADA and wanted to be an actress, Anita disappeared for ten minutes before returning with a lengthy, hand-written letter of encouragement for her. Obviously, she had absolutely no need to to do this. What a classy touch. Brian kept in contact with us for years, exchanging the latest Queen albums for the latest Beau Peep books. I treasure a letter from him which said he was "glad to see you're as off-the-wall as ever".  A huge talent and, even better, a hugely nice guy.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 06:11:25 PM »
I saw the Queen once during her Silver Jubilee tour - she drove through our town. All the kids were let out of school to see her. She drove by in a black limo - unfortunately she was waving to the gits on the other side of the street.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 06:41:53 PM »
I saw the Queen once during her Silver Jubilee tour - she drove through our town. All the kids were let out of school to see her. She drove by in a black limo - unfortunately she was waving to the gits on the other side of the street.

That'd be me then. Diane. She drove down our terrace the same year (1977), on her way to an event at the local sports centre (I think she planted a tree, although I suspect the hole was pre-dug for her). I had a great view from our 4th floor flat, and waved to her glass roofed limo. She winked back, and gave me the thumbs up. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I apologise, in advance.