Author Topic: Detecting Trumpitons  (Read 6627 times)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Detecting Trumpitons
« on: November 20, 2016, 11:51:41 AM »
Well, Trump got voted in and besides a lot of media coverage and general outrage, nothing seems to have changed much for the average non-voter. So I was wondering whether there has been any detectable change, and whether these small changes - let's call them Trumpitons - can be picked up using highly sensitive experiments. I know the elusive Brexiton particle was detected a few months ago, measuring approximately forty-two to forty-eight micro-give-a-tosses per day, but so far, nothing has been picked up for the Trumpiton, despite several media theories about its possible propogation.

According to non-voter Freeman Carelittle, the sensitivity required to detect such a miniscule change in someone's life, especially way over here in the UK, requires a lot of non-voters to actually spend time working out whether it's a rat's ass or a flying toss that they couldn't give.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: Detecting Trumpitons
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 12:52:46 PM »
Well, leaving aside that he doesn't get sworn in until January, so he's not even President yet (like Brexit hasn't actually happened yet), so has no power to change anything at the moment, it's obviously of no concern to you or your future, that a puerile, emotionally challenged, hotheaded Fascist, who is idolised by the Ku Klux Klan, is about to be handed the keys to the White House, along with the nuclear codes that would enable him, and him alone, to annihilate the entire planet's population should he get out of the wrong side of bed in the morning?

Ah, but then the reason he's in this position is probably mostly down to people who don't give a toss about anything that doesn't directly affect their own back yard.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 01:29:04 PM »
... along with the nuclear codes

Didn't Bush and Blair have nuclear codes when in power? And didn't they wrongly invade Iraq, according to the Chilcot report?

Ah, but then the reason he's in this position is probably mostly down to people who don't give a toss about anything that doesn't directly affect their own back yard.

So you're sure that if the other 30% turned out to vote for or against Brexit, something different would have happened? And if so, so what?

The day there's a vote specifically to abolish the TV Licence or the inhumane farming and slaughter of animals or petrol-guzzling cars or smoking or anything to do with Jeremy Clarkson, you might find me there casting my vote, depending on whether I think my vote has any chance of making a difference. But while it remains a toss-up between one lying moron and another, I'll probably not bother.

And did you know that you're more likely to be killed on the way to vote than for your vote to make any difference?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 01:41:50 PM by Mince »

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 01:51:01 PM »
Bush and Blair? I thought we were talking about Trump? One at a time, please. Didn't vote for either of them, and they worried me enough. But despite their shortcomings, they are not even on the same scale as Trump.

And you really do need to stop putting words into people's mouths. What on Earth did you see in anything I wrote to justify, "So you're sure that if the other 30% turned out to vote for or against Brexit, something different would have happened?". I didn't say that, or even remotely like that. Your extrapolation button needs adjusting.

I'm more than happy for people to abstain from voting if the option to tick 'None Of The Above' isn't available (though I think it should be, and that voting should then be compulsory). Nothing wrong with that, or voting for purely selfish interests, as you describe.

And your last sentence is complete nonsense, of course.

I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 02:14:36 PM »
And you really do need to stop putting words into people's mouths. What on Earth did you see in anything I wrote to justify, "So you're sure that if the other 30% turned out to vote for or against Brexit, something different would have happened?". I didn't say that, or even remotely like that. Your extrapolation button needs adjusting.

Ah, so your comment about 'the reason he's in this position' and 'people who don't give a toss' refers to the voters - my mistake.

Nothing wrong with that, or voting for purely selfish interests, as you describe.

The current adult population are f*$@ed, so you have to work on the new generation, perhaps with some better children's books: I could write them and you can illustrate them. I have a few ideas already.

ALONE WITHOUT MUM
Little Amy has to spend seven weeks in care because her poor single-parent mother is in prison for letting Amy watch television without a television licence.

MY FEW DAYS ON EARTH
The few-days-old baby is accidentally dropped into a meat grinder. On the last page, we can change the illustration slightly to show a beak, so we know it's really a baby chick, with the message: "So that's okay!"

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 02:28:35 PM »

Ah, so your comment about 'the reason he's in this position' and 'people who don't give a toss' refers to the voters - my mistake.

No, these comments referred to Trump, not Brexit. Different hairstyles. You really aren't much of a political animal, are you?  ..0
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 02:33:45 PM »
You really aren't much of a political animal, are you?  ..0

That's probably another reason not to vote.

Redundant

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 02:51:16 PM »
There is no [justifiable] reason not to vote, at least exercise your democratic right [so much irony in so few words] even if you do what I do, and write "none of the above" otherwise someone, not unlike Donald Trump, may one day decide that if you can't be bothered, you don't deserve to vote, and you won't even get invited to the next book burning rally.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 02:53:44 PM »
otherwise may one day decide that if you can't be bothered, you don't deserve to vote, and you won't even get invited to the next book burning rally

And how exactly is voting for none of the above going to prevent that?

Redundant

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 03:22:15 PM »
otherwise may one day decide that if you can't be bothered, you don't deserve to vote, and you won't even get invited to the next book burning rally

And how exactly is voting for none of the above going to prevent that?

Okay, not really in to mood to play, especially as I know from your postings you don't give a...   You don't actually care how the above is going to prevent that happening, and as it happens I don't know if it will have any bearing whatsoever, it's just an opinion, my personal take on voting or not voting.  I think everyone who is entitled to vote should even if it is just to say "none of you are worth it", you don't.   In short, we disagree, I can live with that.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 03:39:06 PM »
You don't actually care how the above is going to prevent that happening

No, I am interested. I just don't see what difference my writing 'none of the above' would achieve. I don't think you do either.

Redundant

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 04:23:27 PM »
Sundays...

Apologies, clearly forgot to take my medication.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 11:50:58 PM by Redundant »

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 05:59:55 AM »
I remember when this forum used to be about fun and frivolity and daft topics. I miss those days.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 08:24:33 AM »
Perhaps we're all jaded. Perhaps we're already on Season 7 and it's time for cancellation. Viewing figures are definitely down. There's not even a Christmas competition.

I don't know what to say to that, Diane, other than it's a valid observation, but not necessarily a bad thing. I started this topic in a comical and irreverent way, and I was not bothered that it took a more serious turn within one post, and I enjoyed it just as much.

I post here because I enjoy the daftness and frivolity, and mucking about, but I also post here because I enjoy getting into a good scrap in which I can be irreverent and stupid with 'comebacks' and hopefully ideas that make people think just as much as the replies make me think, and certainly on numerous occasions I have come away from such discussions with a change in my opinion or at least a better understanding of what I was so badly trying to put into words.

I post here despite frequently wondering whether others just get tired of my constant ramblings and insanity.

I post here even though others no longer do, even though I miss their posts, such as those of Peepmaster and Malc and my father and Carol. I dare say they all have their own reasons for not posting here, despite (or perhaps because of :-\ ) several attempts on my part to get them posting again. I know why three of them don't post here and respect those reasons even if I don't fully agree with them.

I post here despite occasionally feeling unappreciated or ignored after spending time here creating new themes, registering new members, trying out daft ideas to get people to post, and working for some time on a new secret project with one of the members.

I post here because I like everyone here. I post here because I can't think of anyone on here who has not made me laugh out loud at some point, and because I just find everyone on here intelligent and interesting.

I post here because two very good friends of mine whom I respect and admire and love deeply also post here.

But mostly I post here because Roger does and because I'm certainly not giving in until he does. :)

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 11:19:00 AM »
I just like the colours.
I apologise, in advance.