Author Topic: Detecting Trumpitons  (Read 6626 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: Detecting Trumpitons
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2016, 03:27:10 PM »
Perhaps we're all jaded. Perhaps we're already on Season 7 and it's time for cancellation. Viewing figures are definitely down. There's not even a Christmas competition.

I don't know what to say to that, Diane, other than it's a valid observation, but not necessarily a bad thing. I started this topic in a comical and irreverent way, and I was not bothered that it took a more serious turn within one post, and I enjoyed it just as much.

I post here because I enjoy the daftness and frivolity, and mucking about, but I also post here because I enjoy getting into a good scrap in which I can be irreverent and stupid with 'comebacks' and hopefully ideas that make people think just as much as the replies make me think, and certainly on numerous occasions I have come away from such discussions with a change in my opinion or at least a better understanding of what I was so badly trying to put into words.

I post here despite frequently wondering whether others just get tired of my constant ramblings and insanity.

I post here even though others no longer do, even though I miss their posts, such as those of Peepmaster and Malc and my father and Carol. I dare say they all have their own reasons for not posting here, despite (or perhaps because of :-\ ) several attempts on my part to get them posting again. I know why three of them don't post here and respect those reasons even if I don't fully agree with them.

I post here despite occasionally feeling unappreciated or ignored after spending time here creating new themes, registering new members, trying out daft ideas to get people to post, and working for some time on a new secret project with one of the members.

I post here because I like everyone here. I post here because I can't think of anyone on here who has not made me laugh out loud at some point, and because I just find everyone on here intelligent and interesting.

I post here because two very good friends of mine whom I respect and admire and love deeply also post here.

But mostly I post here because Roger does and because I'm certainly not giving in until he does. :)

Yeah, this sort of thing that sounds like a lawyers summation. I don't know what to say that isn't going to cause hurt feelings or more arguments.  Thank you for at least not correcting my spelling or grammar. :-)
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2016, 05:46:10 PM »
Yeah, this sort of thing that sounds like a lawyers summation. I don't know what to say that isn't going to cause hurt feelings or more arguments.  Thank you for at least not correcting my spelling or grammar. :-)

You could just stick to whiny moaning. :-)

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2016, 05:57:24 PM »

You could just stick to whiny moaning. :-)

I came back to apologise - I added to the argumentative spirt with my anti-Hillary post the other day.

As for Tumpitons - my response was an example of what I have been seeing as people are no longer even trying to be politically correct. So in my opinion yes his nasty self is spread to countries other than his own. After 34 years in Canada for example I was asked for the very first time why I didn't go back to the UK because of my "political" opinion that "of course hot healthy school lunches provided free of charge is a good idea for children" as our provincial government rolls out a trial for just a few schools.

It is ironic that those (Mince) who insult people, their ideas and how they express their ideas are the first to defend any slight against themselves real or imagined. And thanks to Trump, I feel free to say that to you princess.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2016, 06:05:18 PM »
 ;D

Madmalc

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 07:55:06 PM »
I don't like getting political in venues like this - because there is always someone who goes out of their way to be offensive and controversial - but I will give my perspective on things as someone who has lived in and experienced (extensively) the political systems of both the UK and the US.   

The entire campaign here was run using little more than the boorish tactics we gainfully employ to try and get our own way on things and to heck with the actual truth - very blatant and obvious truths were completely ignored depending on who you supported. Either Hilary Clinton was responsible for the murder of americans in Benghazi - or Trump was responsible for the murder of thousands of mexican immigrants at the US border - there was no rhyme or reason to it - people just blindly believed it.

We have the same kind of thing in the UK from my experience (reference the interesting meme during the Scottish referendum that I saw on every single pro-referendum friend's page claiming a nuclear explosion was going to take place unless Scotland got its independence and that every single man, woman and child in Scotland would die as a result), but over here in the USA it really feels like it is much worse.  Trump and Clinton were both roundly lambasted in the media - and the result is the idiot savante voted for people based upon their contorted views of the candidates' policies - rather than on the basis of any actual policy laid down by the candidate.  We did it with Obama, we did it with Bush Junior and we will do it again. 

Here's the rub - thing will change - no matter who gets into power.  The decisions of the Obama Administration cost me a noticeable $4000 per annum in taxes to provide Obamacare the unemployed,  minorities and illegal immigrants but other than that - life pretty much plods along at an even keel for me and everyone I know.  Similarly, when I worked for the civil service in London - the Government there lowered the threshold at which I was taxed which put me into the same tax liability zone as millionaires - despite not earning anywhere near enough money to support it - the end result of that was that my mother (a lovely Dundee lass) who has been on welfare since 1972 was exactly 1879.00 pounds a year worse off than I was after all expenses.  completely different administrations in completely different countries - with very little substantive change beyond the financial aspect we can expect annually anyway. 

So Trump is President - so what?  We've had a Nixon and we've had a Clinton.  We've had slave owning presidents, liberal presidents, presidents with dementia, conservative presidents, anti-american presidents... we are just like other nations - Britain has its Boris Johnsons, its George galloways, its Tony Blairs, its Gordon Browns (who?) and its Thatchers - but you are all still here - and you have survived....

My only question really is "when are rosie odonnell, Kanye west (and all the Kardashian), whoopi goldberg and Miley Cyrus leaving America like they promised to if Donald Trump won?"  I mean how do you point the finger at politicians for not keeping promises when you get our hopes up like this and then renege....

anyways - just my thoughts on a fairly controversial non-topic.

In short - what I think we should take away from it all is that nothing will really change - things will get more expensive because people have been convinced they are victims (every election - that is the winning theme) and when you create a culture of victims - you create a culture of entitlement that someone has to pay to support. 

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2016, 08:15:10 PM »
As I said, the best thing to do is to vote for none of the above using the special Mincey method of just staying at home and having zero interest.

Who's Rosie O'Donnel? I'd look her up but, frankly, I don't really care. :)

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2016, 10:53:16 PM »
...reference the interesting meme during the Scottish referendum that I saw on every single pro-referendum friend's page claiming a nuclear explosion was going to take place unless Scotland got its independence and that every single man, woman and child in Scotland would die as a result...

Nope - lost me right there. I have NO idea what you're talking about, sorry.
I apologise, in advance.

Madmalc

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2016, 12:06:51 AM »

Who's Rosie O'Donnel? I'd look her up but, frankly, I don't really care. :)

honestly - not even worth the effort and you are right not to care.  Pretty sure she was in the Flintstones movie....but other than that  - she looks like Mrs Boyle from Father Ted.. (no not Mrs Doyle - Mrs Boyle from "Night of the Nearly Dead")