Beau Peep Notice Board > Just a Fort

Beau Peep (1978-2016).

<< < (2/7) > >>

Tarquin Thunderthighs lll:
Roger already knows how I feel about this, and I won't repeat my initial reaction to the news here. Suffice it to say, he's accepting this bean-counter decision with far greater grace and dignity than I would have, which is a mark of the man.

I'm in the same business, and although I believe this is the wrong decision (if the Star is doomed, then it should have gone down with Beau Peep still on deck - it's the last thing that should have been thrown overboard!), I know only too well how desperate things are these days in the newspaper industry. The only good news is for trees! I understand the need for cuts, and cartoonists are certainly not the only ones to be affected at the moment.

That said, if you're trying to hold onto readers, you don't jettison the best part of your product, and this doesn't augur well for the rest of us. If there is a plus side to this, we're in transition at the moment, and the future of news will be (if it isn't already) the Internet. That's all still finding its feet at the moment, and what we need to do is convince those at the front line that cartoons and cartoon strips work every bit as well on screen as on paper, if not even better.

It may take a bit of effort, but there is hope. Voices of support meanwhile, would do no harm. It's difficult to get people fired up about losing their favourite cartoons when there are actually more devastating events going on in the world, and so people tend to accept such things without much of a whimper. But they are missed when they're gone, and it's easy for the powers that be to ignore that, if their attention isn't drawn to it.

It's been a magnificent run, Roger, which you and Andrew can be justifiably and immensely proud of. You don't get that amount of time for a cartoon strip without it being of the highest quality and much loved. It actually deserves a much wider audience than it's had over the decades, and I still hope yet that you might get that.

Mince:
Okay, does this mean I have to take down the Daily Star signs in the image at the top of the forum?

Roger Kettle:
Mmm. Never thought of that. It's not a priority as the strip is still running at the moment. I think it's due to end on Saturday but I'm not entirely sure. We were given a month's notice and it depends on when this dates from.

Roger Kettle:

--- Quote from: Mince on November 26, 2016, 10:13:20 PM ---So what's the book about?

--- End quote ---
It's based on a new, shock report that demonstrates how newly-converted vegetarians bore over 5 million omnivores to death every year.  ;D

Roger Kettle:
Oh, and thanks, everyone for all the kind words about ol' Beau---much appreciated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version